Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice on vintage quilt.... >

Need advice on vintage quilt....

Need advice on vintage quilt....

Old 01-31-2016, 10:44 AM

Flinda Terteling in Boise Idaho has a lot of vintage cottons for sale on her website, antiquefabrics.com
Old 01-31-2016, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
Maybe Kansas troubles would be something to look at? Maybe not quite the era look you are going for or too prairie looking? I happen to love the line.
Congrats on the babies!
On the 80's vintage thing-Yikes! Lol! Ten years ago the 70's Flower child was a popular costume for Halloween, kind of funny to see me as a costume!
Oh, the Kansas Troubles line is very pretty! I can see why you like it.

Seems I may have created a stir here with my use of the word vintage. If I've offended anyone, please accept my apology. I did not mean to.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:54 PM

Yes, muslin was used on the backs of most quilts in years gone by. Remember the quilt tops were usually made from scraps, old clothes, limited new purchases...a practical way use everything....waste not, want not. It's only recently that prints were promoted to be put on the backs....great move by the textile mfgrs.

i put muslin on the backs of quilts, wallhangings.....a good quality muslin, when washed, is soft as butter.....(for bed quilts). On wallhangings I use a cheaper grade..why not?
.....and I read somewhere that calicoes are coming back in the spring...maybe a bit more updated, but nonetheless calico.

those bow ties look a lot like a mosaic design when put together as they are. And that center square is usually the same color as the edge squares....your mom had a great design eye when she planned these blocks...
Old 01-31-2016, 03:11 PM

Many, if not most quilts made in the 30's, etc., were made with white fillers or backgrounds. I would not change anything about them. Just quilt away and have fun.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:11 PM

Gee I was born in the 40's; what does that make me? Older than an antique? lol
In response MacyBaby; my grandmother started quilting in her 60's I guess which was in the 60's; she too only seemed to use white backings; muslins; think it was just the thing to do at that time.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:13 PM

No offense hooked-on-quilts. Used to be the "good ole days" was in our grandparents era. Now things come and go SO fast, that things 20 years ago were the 'good ole days" (or vintage). I think things were better in the "good ole days" frankly. Maybe it's just me.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I think if you look around you'll find something suitable. I got 300 yards of fabric from my Sis that she bought in the 70's, and it's pretty much very small floral patterns. I've been told that is getting popular again.

It is funny though, because I also got some UFO quilts from my Mom that she was working on during that time frame, and they also came with white backing. I know my mom used white or muslin for the quilts she made. I don't think she ever considered using a print. Don't know if that was common, or just my Mom.
I learned to quilt evidently in the dark ages. We always used white or natural muslin for backing, never even considering a print. Hope you find what you're looking for!
Old 01-31-2016, 11:06 PM

The two quilts my family had sandwiched and quilted in the 60s were backed with muslin like the background of the DWR and state flowers of the (then) vintage tops. My wedding quilt (early 70s) was backed with the same pink fabric as the background hexes of the GFG top.
So for your quilts just go with what pleases you as they don't have a specific background fabric.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:37 AM

Thought I would update this thread with the two that I've finished. I ended up finding a brown floral for Zoe's quilt and used a navy Kansas Troubles for Onyx's quilt. They both turned out really cute.

We did present miss Zoe to mom wrapped in the quilt like we had planned, which made us all tear up. Lol

Old 09-26-2016, 08:32 AM

[QUOTE=mrs. fitz;7449971]No Suggestions, but oh my it's depressing to hear "vintage" and "60s

I totally agree. The first time I heard my favorite song from high school in an elevator I about had a stroke!

As for the poster: I would consider tea dying it