Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Travel Iron >

Travel Iron

Travel Iron

Old 03-12-2016, 08:55 PM

Default Travel Iron

Do you have a miniature or travel iron to take to classes, workshops, bees etc? If so, what kind do you recommend? Also, do you also bring some type of table top ironing board or pad? Or do you find these are usually supplied? Do you bring your own Best Press and any other ironing supplies?
Old 03-12-2016, 10:38 PM

I have a mat on the back of a pressing mat I take to classes etc. And a cheap full iron. I did have a small iron but it got knocked off a cramped table. The iron was very cheap and easy to replace if same happens again.
A few classes etc I go to provide an ironing boards and irons much better.
i don't take best press or starch to classes. Found it is provided win those classes the tutor uses it. I do go to a couple of classes where the tutors disapprove of best press or starch.

Last edited by DOTTYMO; 03-12-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:25 AM
Power Poster

here are some recent discussions on that topic i put the words "travel iron" into the search field.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/search-...s-t275892.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t274076.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...d-t272473.html
Old 03-13-2016, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

You can usually contact the organizers to see what will be provided. Some places will not allow you to have your own iron due to power restrictions. If you are not sure & are traveling by car, you can always just take it & leave it if you don't need it. Many people use clover mini craft irons, but I found it awkward to use for quilting. At my last retreat a friend had a SteamFast SF-717 Home-and-Away Mini Steam Iron, which I tried and liked. It's on my shopping list.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:44 AM

I use a little Rowenta that I purchased at J's on sale. It comes in a little grey bag. It's small but not foldable. I have only used it once. All the classes around here set up ironing stations. It's so much easier on electricity to have 4 irons set up instead of 20. Plus there are all those sewing machines.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:00 AM

Why do some tutors disapprove of Best Press? I would find out what suplles will be available to use....less to pack!
sandy
Old 03-13-2016, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

I do go to a couple of classes where the tutors disapprove of best press or starch.
An instructor shouldn't say don't use a product, they should say I don't use it because.. ( I'd use it if one told me not to without a good reason)

I like the Cover Wedge iron for travel and I also like the Steamfast Travel iron. The large Omnigrid Fold Away Cutting/Pressing Station is a must have for me for classes and workshops. No waiting for the shared ironing.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:35 AM

I've got the little Steamfast. Works well by the add on ironing board.

As to banning Best Press - Some people are sensitive to smells. Personally, some of the Best Press stinks to me. If I want more, I'll get the unscented. Right now, white vinegar and water works. That stinks, too.

Get a few people, each with their own preference and trigger someone's allergy. Specify non-scented and someone will complain about the right to their choice. Best to ban it.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:03 AM

I have a Sunbeam Hot-2-Trot Iron 800 watt and love it, it's really small and no handle to break. I got it for $12.50 on Amazon. My friends also have the Conair's EZ Press, also 800 watts and they said they also got it on Amazon for around $17.00. They also love that one, it's a little bigger and does have a handle. The Rowenta small iron seems to get hotter but some of my friends have had the handles break. We all made small containers together (got the idea from Pinterest, and when bringing it home if it's not totally cool we just leave the cord hanging out.
As far as the mat, we all got the Magnetic Silver Portable Ironing Mat on Amazon for $10. Really like it, just the right size and it has magnets on the end that help it stay in place.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

A tin pail is perfect to put a hot iron in to travel. No waiting for the iron to cool. I have a vintage tin sand pail I use. It's so cute.