Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Model number for vintage singer-look up by serial number? >

Model number for vintage singer-look up by serial number?

Model number for vintage singer-look up by serial number?

Old 04-04-2016, 09:49 PM

Default Model number for vintage singer-look up by serial number?

Today I received a free old Singer, heavy as an anchor, and I looked up the serial number on the ICS?? website (I forget the acronym - the big all-sewing-machine site). According to that, I think it's a 66 - the serial number was assigned in Nov. 1948 the chart said.

Is there another way to confirm the model number? Is the model number on the machine?

According to that same site, it looks like the cabinet is #56, the front drawer opens like a bin and has 2 sections. The left side of the cabinet has some kind of swing-arm that comes out, I guess to support the opened leaf.

The machine has a light attached to the very back and has a wide bulb in it, the light fixture itself has the same matte black as the machine, and looks like some ancient reading light. The little plaque with the Singer logo looks gold metal. It seems to have all parts, footpedal, cord. I do know it was replaced with a plastic Singer years ago, and the cabinet has an old bottle of 3 in 1 oil snapped into what looks like an oil bottle clamp on the inside of the cabinet. Maybe that's why another machine was bought...I haven't tested it yet.

I see a bit of rust, very light, beginning on the bottom of the front of the (chrome?) head. I think can get it running, based on nothing in particular - I've never refurbished before. First I'd like to make sure of the model number, if it is a 66 and what iteration. The decoration is very minimal, no fancy decals.

Thanks for any info in advance. I can post a pic tomorrow if need be.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by K-Roll View Post
Is there another way to confirm the model number? Is the model number on the machine?

According to that same site, it looks like the cabinet is #56, the front drawer opens like a bin and has 2 sections. The left side of the cabinet has some kind of swing-arm that comes out, I guess to support the opened leaf.

Thanks for any info in advance. I can post a pic tomorrow if need be.
You can use http://www.sandman-collectibles.com/...r-machines.htm to confirm model number. I don't know when they started putting model numbers on the black machines, but it would be under the Singer badge on the pillar. ISMACS also has http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...sses-1-99.html which describes the various models. and "iterations" However, since these machines have been around for a while, who knows what parts were switched out with what was available at the time, it makes it even harder to determine the sub-model. My guess would be that it is a 66-16. I have one that came with the manual from about that time period.

Yes, the swing out arm is to support the opened leaf.

Also there is the sticky http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...v-t167789.html to help cleaning up these old machines.

We like pictures

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:04 AM

Thanks Workbench - Gee I just looked at my rambling post - so tired last night. I did find the serial number under the badge. I certainly will be poring over that sticky when I start.

Don't think any parts have been switched out since I knew the previous owner who would have had it since it was made. Single owner. I will check out the links.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:06 AM

Here are the pictures of the machine that fell into my lap yesterday. (Not literally, thank god! So heavy!)
I did send a query to the sandman link. I haven't tested it yet (plugged it in) - I turned the handwheel, it moves so smoothly!
Attached Thumbnails photo-4-5-16-10.35-am.jpg   photo-4-5-16-10.38-am-2.jpg  
Old 04-05-2016, 11:50 AM

It's a late model 66, at some point it was given the stitch length lever with backtack in sted of a chromed knob (apparently by 1948 in the least ) This lever might make it look like a model 201, but the 201 has a true revers, with a round plate around the lever in sted of the more square on the 66. Yours look very nice, the dull or crinkle finish doesn't turn up that often around here.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:56 AM

Would have liked to see the whole front view of the machine in that cabinet.

Kathleen
Old 04-05-2016, 12:43 PM

Mickey2, ah, thanks, I did not know what the finish was called (I did wonder if it was supposed to be shiny or not).
Morningstar, do you mean the faceplate view head-on, or a pic of the whole cabinet?
Old 04-05-2016, 01:26 PM

Again, it looks lovely, I like the cabinet too, but a bit unfortunate about the green paint. Does it look like it will come off with a paint remover, or one of those hot guns for this purpose? Have you treaded it up and done some test sewing?
Old 04-05-2016, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by K-Roll View Post
the light fixture itself has the same matte black as the machine,
You have a 66-18 according to ISMACS link above
"Wrinkle finish ".. that resists scratching and reduces glare". "

They are a good solid machine. The 66's were made for many years.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:28 PM

I have one like that, though mine has more "black side" parts to it. I really like this machine!