Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 11-27-2010, 06:00 PM

Oooooo, Pookie, those are beautiful fabrics!

How many blocks have you finished? Would you be willing to post some pics? We love pics! I take it that the assorted light fabrics are the backgrounds. Are you hand or machine piecing your Baby?

Thanks for showing what your package contained!
Old 11-27-2010, 09:10 PM

I was pondering the Farmer's Wife since I have all those pieces of fabric left over from Jane. The picture shows it to be similar in color, etc. Guess I'll decide down the road a piece!
Old 11-27-2010, 11:09 PM

I don't know how many blocks I've done. Anywhere from 50 to 90, I guess. lol Just did the math in my head and I'm still not sure.

I used to only sew by hand but my eyes are leaving the building. Literally, I see better outside at high noon. This one is by machine but my machine applique is vomitous. I have to use contrasting thread in order to see what I'm doing.

I'll give you a pic of my crazy blind girl skills tomorrow.

Janstar, the Farmer's Wife is a lot of fun. Big blocks! Six whole inches and fewer of them. Join the yahoo group run by the book's author. Nice folks. You can look at the pix and decide if it's the Jane's remnants project for you. I like all the paper piecing.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:09 AM
Power Poster

I have CD and book of LBB, and you are right, the CD really only prints out the patterns, rather than having to photocopy your book. But there are some directions for the blocks in the book, and the colour pics are good, and there are very helpful pages on choosing suitable fabrics forr best effect

If I do AOTH, I will make the blocks bigger. I can't see the point of doing all that work, to only get a lap sized quilt. If I make the blocks 9 or 10in, it will be double bed sized at the end, and those of you thinking of perhaps trying to machine applique, that size would also be more helpful.

I am waiting for my book so that I can check that it is reasonably possible to enlarge patterns etc. and will come back to you if any of you are hesitating.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

pookie...thanks for posting those fabrics...they are really pretty!! Please do post the blind lady's blocks...I wannna see!!! (I know the feeling some days...I bought a pair of those drug store glasses to help me applique!)

I got my AOTH book yesterday and started looking last night. The pieces don't look all that hard to me, but after saying that.....I think I will try to scan some of the pics and put it in EQ7. I've never tried to do that before, but I'd like to play with it some...I'd like to enlarge the blocks..add maybe some different type of sashing...I don't know..something to make it end up larger. I'm with you Lesley..I think it is a fabulous size for display, but I have nowhere to hang something like that, so I'd like for mine to fit on a bed.

I can't do any of that until I get my lappy repaired as my scanner won't hook up to my old computer..but hopefully I can play with it in the next week or 2.

Wil...I know what you mean....do you have a pieced quilt in mind to consider?? And congrats on laying all that out! I did nothing last night...maybe I'll tackle something today.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
pookie...thanks for posting those fabrics...they are really pretty!! Please do post the blind lady's blocks...I wannna see!!! (I know the feeling some days...I bought a pair of those drug store glasses to help me applique!)

I got my AOTH book yesterday and started looking last night. The pieces don't look all that hard to me, but after saying that.....I think I will try to scan some of the pics and put it in EQ7. I've never tried to do that before, but I'd like to play with it some...I'd like to enlarge the blocks..add maybe some different type of sashing...I don't know..something to make it end up larger. I'm with you Lesley..I think it is a fabulous size for display, but I have nowhere to hang something like that, so I'd like for mine to fit on a bed.

I can't do any of that until I get my lappy repaired as my scanner won't hook up to my old computer..but hopefully I can play with it in the next week or 2.

Wil...I know what you mean....do you have a pieced quilt in mind to consider?? And congrats on laying all that out! I did nothing last night...maybe I'll tackle something today.
Enlarging the blocks on AOTH is a good option. I am also considering a yarn couching technique for the swirls and curls... :D There is time to work out the details...

I have the book and software for Farmers Wife, I was interested at their start, but I didn't have the time to commit to that project. It seems to be with templates and all rotary cut piecing but Pookie mentioned paper piecing... They will be about half finished when I am ready to start another project.

I have the book for Sylvia's Bridal too, I plan to make that one, next year! :lol: :lol:

There are several that will still be working on Baby Jane's, so I am hoping there will be another group start up in the Spring or Summer. Personally, I would have preferred a more orderly schedule. I might consider another (modified) Baby Jane later...I know that is insanity!!!
Old 11-28-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by wilhelmina
Enlarging the blocks on AOTH is a good option. I am also considering a yarn couching technique for the swirls and curls... :D There is time to work out the details...
[/color] - change color[color=red]

OK, I am trying to change the color of my reply - hope this works this time!

I was thinking about doing something similar, but using Ricky Tims Razzle Dazzle thread. I have 6 ddifferent colors of it & use it in my bobbin all the time, but I would couch this.

I have the book and software for Farmers Wife, I was interested at their start, but I didn't have the time to commit to that project. It seems to be with templates and all rotary cut piecing but Pookie mentioned paper piecing... They will be about half finished when I am ready to start another project.

I have the book for Sylvia's Bridal too, I plan to make that one, next year! :lol: :lol:
I am planning on doing both as AOTH isn't going to start until maybe June.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:49 AM

Didn't change color - how do you do it?
Old 11-28-2010, 09:46 AM

Kathy,

I don't know anything about color changes for replies, maybe you can teach us!

I have used Sulky Metallics and Multi's but I have never used Ricky Tims. I will look into trying them, do you buy them at a LQS or online?

A June start date for AOTH would allow enough time to consider all options. I want to use wool on this project, if I can find the colors, but I love love batiks, so I need to shop shop shop to finalize wool as my fabric!

BTW Sylvia's Bridal is after Jane is finished!
Old 11-28-2010, 12:22 PM

Meredith, I think we must be related! I was born in Tulsa.☺ I like to have lots of projects going all at once.

Eventually they all get finished, but I always have something going that will interest me no matter what my mood. The ladies of the quilt club wonder ow I finish as much as I do as I work full time & DH is in a wheelchair. I used to have to spend more time doing for DH than I do now, but there's still lots he can't do now, especially around the house.

I get Razzle Dazzle at LQS. I have a Janome 6600 & have had no trouble with it in the bobbin - no adjustments of any sort.

RE: changing color of font - there are a bunch of choices on the left side of the reply screen. One is change color. Another is red/blue/green. It won't let you click on it like the smiley faces, so I did a copy/past, but that didn't work, either. I'm probably not putting it where is will work. If I get up the nerve, I'll ask admin. or Legend as she used green font.

I fondled my batiks for AOTH, but am quilting JJ as there is another NCIS marathon today & I'm in our bedroom as DH gets the big TV for football. I can't hog it all the time! I drifted into his cave off our bedroom and got on here! He's on the laptop in the dining room.

Am going to our LQS tomorrow to pick up the last of the first round of batiks fot AOTH. I ordered another 20 spools of Connecting Threads theread - 2 more of their discontinued sets - and a cone of white. I am trying to get all their threads and have started by getting the ones that are discontinued first. I love their thread. Only wish they would put out verigated and quilting weight too.