Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting is Expensive! >

Quilting is Expensive!

Quilting is Expensive!

Old 08-06-2016, 06:20 AM

I use a porcupine quill for a stiletto and general tool. Love it and only paid 99 cents for it years ago.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:36 AM

I definitely agree that fabric (and yarn) prices seem totally out of hand some places. However like many of you I've also found some really good deals.
Unless I truly need some of the higher priced items, and need them right now, I tend to wait for a clearance sale or hope to find a generous remnant at reduced price. I was able to get a 5 yd piece of light aqua bubble dot minky for a bargain because it had stains along the edge (apparently from getting caught in some mechanism during winding on the bolt). Spraying with oxi-clean before pre washing took out almost all of it. And that bit was easy to make sure it got cut off as scrap when cutting backing for a baby quilt. And I still have several yards left for backing more baby quilts. And I essentially got one or more yards free. Yea!!
Old 08-06-2016, 06:51 AM

I buy a lot of my notions from JAF with a coupon so it's very reasonable.

My husband and I run a small business and a small part of our clientele is inventor type people who have an idea for the product and sometimes even a prototype, but need drawings and help getting it to work. I've seen the thousands of dollars people spend to bring even a small product to market so I don't have a problem with them recouping that money. If something is out of my price range (or what I want to spend), it is. I don't buy it.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:32 AM

This has been a fun thread! I don't even look at high end fabrics -- they don't have any extraordinary appeal to me. My satisfaction comes in making something nice and unique out of fabric I got a good deal on, found at a garage sale or repurposed. I don't use low quality fabrics either. I have developed a healthy stash and am always so pleased to be able to find what I need there most of the time.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

My sewing group all have about the same disposable income. That makes a big difference. We can plan retreats, shop hops, and quilt shows without upsetting a member that can't afford to do those things.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:24 AM

When I got married in 1973 my wedding flower was the daisy (still my favorite flower) and we went all over looking for the fabric for the maid of honor and bride's maid dress. It was a simple afternoon wedding so I wanted something light and airy - finally found a dotted Swiss, shaped as daisies, at Woolworths. It was about $.75 a yard. The matching hats cost about the same as dresses. It was funny how the color of the fabric matched the hats and shoes. We were planning on having to pay to have them dyed to match. Woolworths was such a great place.

My daughter wanted a special prom dress she designed. She was having it made by someone that does that kind of sewing in 2002 - the fabric was $89.00 a yard, we were able to get the same fabric at the fabric district in LA for $45.00. It was her money so I was just a by-stander but I was impressed how she did her research and accomplish what she wanted. (She is still able to wear the dress for formal occasions.)

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 08-06-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

I am like you all who look for the sales on all of my quilting needs. So far it has worked out well for me shopping around before I buy for a project. The only problem is once you use great fabric, it is hard to go back to your everyday sort. It is easier to work with, nicer hand to touch and wears terrific so it lasts longer looking better.

I do enjoy using the specialty rulers and often buy them. It keeps the making part fun and fresh with new ways to make things easier. I am all for easier and faster.

My next big search is on the specialty fmq rulers you use to quilt designs with. I have been watching the videos at utube and am almost ready to take the plunge to buy them. In the long run they will save me money of the long arm quilter if I can get better quilting results at home on my domestic machine. So, I am thinking in that way to convince myself to spend the money to buy them.

I know people who spend their money on new cars and trips. I don't indulge in those things, so I don't feel my quilting is a bad habit at all.

When two different stores went out of business I really got some great deals before they closed the doors. I feel I just might have enough to finish up the long list of recipients I plan of gifting my work to.

The other quilting I do is for charity. Yes it is expensive but the cause keeps my machine humming. As long as I can help diabetic kids, I will.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love the products--just don't love some of the prices. I am in New Hampshire, and oddly enough, the online store that I saw that price was a store out of New Hampshire. Not all of their prices were like that, but in my opinion, no fabric is worth that much. I love both new and vintage fabrics. In fact, I still have a several pieces from the 70's in my stash. I do most of my shopping at Joann's and try to use coupons and keep my eye open for sales. I haven't re-purposed fabrics before, but I am not opposed to it. When you consider how much money goes into a quilt, between the batting and thread and fabric, not to mention the notions you use, it can really add up fast. This is an expensive hobby!
I used to live in NH. I've gotten a lot of fabric from yard sales and rummage sales.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:19 PM

Hi feline fanatic you sound like my kind of person as I to like cats wish I lived close enough to go to some big shows but if I do go to a show here there is one very good machine quilter and she quilts most of all the quilts that gets in the shows so go to another town and maybe theirs are done by 2 different quilters so really at my age I enjoy my recliner and looking at quilts on the computer if I could see lots or even some variety I would be happy to check some out. I use to go a lot when I was younger Branson quilt show twice Paducah once and some others oh yes the one Rod to Calif. and Ricky Timms was there, really great shows Happy Quilting
Old 08-07-2016, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Why oh why do we feel that we have to justify what we spend on things that make us happy???? It's not like if we splurged a little on a lovely piece of fabric our families will starve, or we won't be able to pay the electric bill that month. I'm absolutely certain we are all responsible adults and manage our money wisely. I have NEVER seen a husband try to justify his hobby the way we do; in fact, most husbands go the other way and try to justify why they DO need something! So why do we turn into martyrs and deny ourselves the pleasure of splurging a little on some yardage, or buying a new book or new tool?

I Agree!! I have also witnessed couples shopping for a sewing machine for her and HE is urging her to buy UP and she protests! I loved it when the man looked at the machine dealer and said.."She will take this one". I almost cheered out loud!!

I don't apologize for my expenditures. It is no ones' business...I have worked since I was 17. ( thank you feminists.). We are a two income family with zero dependents. We live modestly compared to Facebook posts.....we both love our hobbies. Truth be known, DH is the bargain hunter! Lol!
sandy