Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence >

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Old 01-06-2017, 09:45 PM

Well, after work today I did some seam ripping of my first block because I changed my mind on the layout: I turned the 4-patches. Re-sewed it, decided what I wanted for the sashing, added a sash to see how it would look added-- then on to sewing clue 6, decided to cut and sew clue 7 too, since they are all hourglasses. Then discovered 6 and 7 are going on and on forever.... The stack is not growing fast enough! :-)

Pagzz, Nice link!

Last edited by givio; 01-06-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by givio View Post
Well, after work today I did some seam ripping of my first block because I changed my mind on the layout: I turned the 4-patches. Re-sewed it, decided what I wanted for the sashing, added a sash to see how it would look added-- then on to sewing clue 6, decided to cut and sew clue 7 too, since they are all hourglasses. Then discovered 6 and 7 are going on and on forever.... The stack is not growing fast enough! :-)

Pagzz, Nice link!
i know what you mean. Those little hourglasses were my least favorite blocks to make. Can't wait to see your changes.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:25 AM

Givio, I decided to change my 4 patches too, so am having to rip my one completed block.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:54 AM

33.5 X 51.5
Definitely too wide to hang on the loft bannister. I will be adding to it.
Un stitched for two hours yesterday before I actually got back to sewing At least it wasn't fully assembled, that is the worst unsewing of all.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ml#post7735350
I think this is the post for the 365 quilt (post 65)
showing my ort jar for AngeliaNR These blocks will finish at 3", and we are doing the dark border around the central focus first, hence all brown.

Would you believe I only had 3 or 4 small pieces of really dark brown? lots in the mid-ranges.
Attached Thumbnails 2016-mystery-kalamaquilts.jpg  

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 01-07-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:01 AM

Thank you, Kalama Quilts, for the picture. I love seeing the layers of colors build up. I don't have an orts jar, but I do have a clear container where I store my extra bits of binding. I roll them up and pack them in--pretty colors!
Old 01-07-2017, 07:13 AM

Kassaundra, you have too? :-) I hope it's the last time I change my mind and seam rip. :-p My light blue was so pronounced in the dark blue, and the dark blue had the triangles too, making it seem more like a background there, so I just liked the light blue going in a diagonal line.

You've made a lot of changes with yours so that it seems to me it's starting to look like the Celtic Soltice MQ. :-))) The two mysteries are quite similar, I think! I've always liked that type of pattern in scrappy and that's on my list to do some day.

Anyone who's interested-- here's a couple of examples in scrappy and a Celtic Soltice example to compare to what we're doing (sorry, don't know who to credit, I just saved random online pictures to remember the pattern). These examples used the TriRecs to make a more pronounced circle (where the 'purples' are in our pattern).

...This mystery is certainly a variation on this general block theme. The sashes creating the secondary star in a pop color is an interesting twist to the usual pattern, as it seems to be a different construction method.
Attached Thumbnails untitled.jpg   untitled23.jpg   untitled238.jpg   untitled2.jpg  

Last edited by givio; 01-07-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:25 AM

Celtic Solstice is my favorite BH mystery (in pattern not color) but it was made before I knew about BH mystery quilts. It was one I always wanted to do but so many quilts I want to make so little time, no telling when I would actually get to it. I think that is why I was drawn to the changes I made. I also wasn't a big fan of the prominent pointed "crosses" and prefer the "diamond" shape instead.

I think putting the lighter in a line in the 4 patches makes the sashing star more prominent and my teal stars were basically getting lost. It was a suggestion from someone on FB, just wish I had thought of it before piecing that one, but thrilled I just had one pieced!!! lol
Old 01-07-2017, 07:40 AM

lol When I saw your picture, I thought you had such a strong contrast, and the lighter in a line of the 4 patches would look better. It prompted me to look again at mine, where I thought the same thing. Yeah, nice to have just one block sewn, I agree with that! :-)
Old 01-07-2017, 07:50 AM

I chose high contrast in the "light and dark" of the same color (Bonnies purple) b/c I thought that is what she directed. However I think her unaltered pattern works best w/ a low contrast between the light and dark. Either way, modified or exactly as she has it, it is a great pattern w/ plenty of secondary and tertiary patterning.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:03 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

sewbizgirl, thanks for the picture. I also wanted somewhere for the eye to rest, and had already purchased green for another border, and 4 patches for the outside. Thursday was a road day 12 hours in front of the storm. Yesterday was shopping; and making chili and soup. Today is shoveling and then---sewing the rest of today.