Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need tips to clean tub and shower >

Need tips to clean tub and shower

Need tips to clean tub and shower

Old 01-31-2017, 07:49 AM

Cheap shampoo works well at cutting soap scum. Just wipe it on and spray it off. For stubborn stain on the shower floor...place several layers of paper towels across the surface and then dampen them with a surface cleaner that contains bleach. Let stand for a while and then a light scrub with a small brush will remove the stains.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:08 AM

I quit using "bar" soap many years ago. Liquid soap is not only less drying to your skin, but it does not leave the scum. I only use vinegar & water for all my cleaning. Especially in the winter, I don't want harsh chemicals floating around in the house.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

I use vinegar and baking soda on everything I can. I can't breathe toxic sprays. I do use bleach on things that I think need it, but diluted in water.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:18 AM

I spray vinegar on and let it set for an hour then scrub for soap scum and lime build up. I use scrub and bubbles for regular cleaning.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:22 AM

I have used vinegar,with Dawn dish washing soap and water in a spray bottle. Spray , leave on for a couple of minutes, then scrub. Smells for a while but it leaves it all clean and shiny.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:31 AM

Coca Cola sprayed and allowed to sit for a while does a good job also. After cleaning I use a car wax on the side walls. NEVER ON THE FLOOR...............stays clean for quite a long time especially since I use a squeege (sp) to wipe down the walls after showering. We do this in our RV and also the shower in the house.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:39 PM

Our fiberglass tub enclosures and hard water give us a similar problem to yours. I have used soap scum remover products for built up stains, but it doesn't spray on too well. Nonetheless that's still what I use when I clean. Once it's clean, I use a product that really keeps me happy: it's called GelGloss, which is basically a wax product that is for fiber glass. I NEVER use it on the floor cause it's too slippery, but on the walls, the water just beads up beautifully. (Someone else mentioned waxing the walls and this is essentially that) It's not cheap, and it's chemically smelly, so I don't like to use it often. The other half of my plan is our persistent practice of keeping a hand towel at the shower and wiping down the walls after every use. We both used to whine about the wipe up= hubby more than me, but it's well worth it in terms of cleaning hours. Good luck. (I used to get Gel Gloss at the hardware store - it's not in my Walmart- so now and then I pick it up at Lowes, since the hw store is gone.)
Old 01-31-2017, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

Once sparkling clean then never have to deep clean again. I taught my kids to rinse and wipe down the tub and shower with a towel including the fixtures after every use. It only takes a couple of minutes to do. It has saved me and them from having to scrub the bath. And no cleaners needed. Dry tub and walls means no mildew. If you have shower curtains take the curtain and give it a good shake after use and don't pull it back. It will let the shower curtain dry fast. Oh, and don't use soap, use a soap free body wash. No soap scum to clean. Simple.

Last edited by Onebyone; 01-31-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:55 PM

We spray bleach in our shower and that works well.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:14 PM

My husband cleans the shower/tub with those magic eraser refill discs that you use to scrub the toilet bowl.
He says they work remarkably well.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]567196[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 31wgcqbuhbl.jpg