Singer 6233 oiling

Old 07-06-2017, 01:32 PM

Question Singer 6233 oiling

Hi all,
I am new to sewing. I procured a Singer 6233 sewing machine in a recent yard sale. I also have access to the user Instruction manual.

However I am trying to find cleaning and oiling information for this sewing machine. The Maintenance section of the user manual only talks about cleaning the exterior and bobbin cases with a lint brush. I am surprised it doesnt talk about oiling.

I saw quite a few videos on how to oil vintage machines, including the one in this forum.

Some people seem to believe that we need to oil this machine anyway. However I also heard from some people that this particular model doesnt need any oiling. But I dont see any good explanation for either. I however favor oiling this machine as it seems only logical.

So I am looking for some guidance/reference. Has any of you used/know about this machine? If so what is your recommendation regarding oiling it. Is there a specific oiling procedure /video that you follow.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-06-2017, 03:29 PM

The difference is that one is mechanical and one is electronic. The old ones are pure mechanical machines with belts, gears and bolts. They need oil to perform properly. Metal rubbing against metal with no lubricant over a period of time will wear the metal, and cause failure (loose joints, noisy gears and then, complete failure eventually).

The other is an electronic machine. It's like a computer. It has circuit boards, fuses and the like. Like your computer, electronic machines do not need oiling. I would be inclined to to vacuum the bobbin area regularly, though.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 07-06-2017 at 03:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-06-2017, 05:00 PM

Thanks bkay. Then I will have to figure out what type singer 6233 is. As I see it, it has a pneumatic air bulb based pedal and seems mechanical from outside. All mechanical levers and switches. No electronic push buttons. So I assume its mechanical and not computer based. Especially since it seems to have been manufactured in 1985-1987.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:44 AM

My daughter's machine ( from husband's grandmother) is a Singer 6233. I took it to have a service check done but I haven't really looked at it for routine maintenance (after all, it's her machine!) It sews well so lucky you to find one at a yard sale! Have fun.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:13 AM

Another possible reason for no maintenance on your sewing machine could be that your machine "should be serviced annually by an authorized dealer".

bkay
Old 07-07-2017, 07:14 AM

I did a quick search and it appears that the 6233 is electronic. For the mid 80's that would make sense. It may not have an onboard computer, but it most likely has some electronic components which is probably why they don't want you to oil it. It may also have self lubricating metals used in it. I'm not sure how long those have been around and used in sewing machines. Bottom line, I would take it in to be serviced rather than trying to do it yourself. JMO
Old 07-07-2017, 08:03 AM

Thanks every one. I guess I will look into getting it serviced. If its too expensive I will just vacuum and do a lint brush cleanup . Right now the machine seems to be chugging along just fine. I tried a few stitches on a test fabric.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:00 AM
Banned

The self lubricating(sintered) metals only last around 20-25 years. ALL machines need oiled/lubrication regardless of what metals are used. A machine from the 80s should be easy to service. Basic oiling applies to any machine, a drop anywhere there's an oil hole or where metal moves on metal. Just be careful of any electronics.

Cari
Old 08-14-2017, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
The self lubricating(sintered) metals only last around 20-25 years. ALL machines need oiled/lubrication regardless of what metals are used. A machine from the 80s should be easy to service. Basic oiling applies to any machine, a drop anywhere there's an oil hole or where metal moves on metal. Just be careful of any electronics.

Cari
Let's hope so. I have one from the thrift store that was seized, but I think it was very mild. I gave the Needle Bar a shove and it started moving. From my experience with ancient Singers, I figured oiling was in order. Then, when I wanted to see if I'd missed any places, I started looking for an oiling diagram, uh, oh. Well it probably only cost $20, so there is that.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:01 PM

Sunny, this is part electronic, The air part is hooked up to electronic stuff. I have 2. And that electronic foot is blah. I have lost a gear and they are as expensive as the machine was. So I don't want any more of these machines. They do sew good if you can get them to sew.