Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Will you admit to any one of these descriptions? >

Will you admit to any one of these descriptions?

Will you admit to any one of these descriptions?

Old 08-15-2017, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

Default Will you admit to any one of these descriptions?

Frugal, cheap, cost-conscious, penny-pinching, miserly -

I prefer to think of myself as being "cost-conscious" -

To me, that means I am willing to spend (time, money, effort) on something, if it is worth it to me. It also means that I am "aware" of the cost of having or doing something.

Of course, that is another of those hard-won awarenesses!
Old 08-15-2017, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

I don't think I'm penny-pinching or miserly, but all the other descriptions, Yes. But we are in good company.... Traditionally quilters were frugal. That's where all this beautiful scrappiness came from!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-15-2017 at 11:04 AM. Reason: http://www.accuquilt.com/shop/quilt-in-a-day-chisel-quilts-pattern-booklet-by-eleanor-burns.html
Old 08-15-2017, 08:31 AM

I'll admit to any of them if it lets me get my way! LOL

I often joke that I can pinch a penny so hard that Lincoln screams. I actually call myself a "money hoarder" more than anything else. I'm one of those extremely boring people that puts her entire bonus and tax refund into savings.

But I am happy to spend money sometimes, too. I frequently treat myself to small purchases - books, fabric, etc. And sometimes I pry enough money out of myself for something big (like a very nice longarm...) but it's much harder for me to spend that much.

I'm not always very wise in where I decide to save some money though. I am wearing eyeglasses at least 4 years out of date right now - an example of me being cheap! (Well, and also lazy; my long-term eye doctor retired and I haven't felt like finding a new one.) But when I go to the dentist I always pay extra (sometimes a LOT extra) for the best-quality fillings/crowns/etc I can get.

So I guess I'm both cheap and extravagent.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:35 AM

I would like to think of myself as "cost-conscious" as to being cheap. If I want a big ticket item, I save for it. While saving I research prices as well a look at reviews.

I have to be careful of speaking aloud as to wanting or wishing for something around my husband. Because he will tell me to get ready to shop....LOL I like to save for things, makes me feel I have accomplished something without breaking the bank.

Another thing, I like to use up what I have, as in fabric, or patch my holey jeans, place an embroidered pattern over a small hole my shirts gets from snagging on something. Rather than go out and buy new clothes. That's the frugal side of me.....make due and save the money for a rainy day. Cause when it rains sometimes it's a storm and the rainy day fund comes in handy.

Last edited by Chasing Hawk; 08-15-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

I think of myself as frugal. I save money where I can but I will budget any higher priced things if I really want them.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

i consider myself frugal. it has served me well over the years and allowed me to own my home and car outright. it also allows me to go on retreats with my quilting friends. frugality should not have negative connotations.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:16 AM
Power Poster

I'm actually a mix of frugality and extravagance. But it's a comfortable mix for me. I don't buy what I can't afford. I don't like debt.
What I really don't like is seeing a person who puts money above all else. (cheap,miserly etc) That would be hard for me to deal with. You have to enjoy life and sometimes it involves money.
Everyone has to do what works for them. I'm just glad my husband and I are on the same page
Old 08-15-2017, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
You have to enjoy life and sometimes it involves money.
That's the hard line for me to walk - I'm often almost afraid to spend money I've saved up. Which is exactly the opposite from my spouse!

His attitude tends to be more like, "Spend the money now, because you never know what will happen!" and my attitude is, "Save the money now, because you never know what will happen!" I guess we balance each other out though.

He has to really talk me into spending money on things like "big" vacations, although once he does talk me into it I never really regret it. I really need to loosen up! But I'm kind of obsessive about my finances.

Anybody else keep spreadsheets to track your spending and saving habits? I have several; some are updated weekly, others monthly, some quarterly; and I use my online banking system's budgeting and alert system like mad and check my balances and transaction history nearly daily. I can tell you how much I've spent on eating out, how much I've spent on fabric, how much I've stashed away for my retirement...I can give you specific figures or an annual average. To me that's really fascinating stuff and has helped me understand my own finances very clearly, and identify great places to save a little more and waste a little less.

Like I had no idea, until I charted it, that I was spending well over $1,000 a year at Starbucks. Now that figure is down to zero and that money now goes into my "pocket money" fund (aka my fabric-buying fund) and into my vacation fund (aka my going-to-out-of-town-quilt-shows fund) and I'm happier for it. (And ingesting fewer calories!)
Old 08-15-2017, 12:35 PM

I consider myself "cost conscious" I don't mind spending money, but I don't like wasting it. If its something I want and know I can afford it, I'm not opposed to buying it. But it does have to give me good value (which can be in many forms).
Old 08-15-2017, 01:07 PM

None of those words describe me right now. Sadly I've even been too lazy to go to the huge store and squandered money at the small convenient stores to buy things. In my defense, I've been at the bottom and spent many years living paycheck to paycheck. I've given in to the idea that life's too short to save it for later. Fortunately we are doing well right now.

Last edited by Doggramma; 08-15-2017 at 01:09 PM.