Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Kindle...Kindle...Do you Do Kindle?? >

Kindle...Kindle...Do you Do Kindle??

Kindle...Kindle...Do you Do Kindle??

Old 11-29-2009, 09:33 AM

Re; Sony eReader - Hmmm - found the library website for borrowing books, but it's not as great as I was lead to believe. First of all - it seems you can only borrow them for 7 days! Don't know if they can be renewed - will need to find out. BUT - we can't seem to get them into the reader. My daughter (a computer tech instructor) has been working on it for me (a computer illiterate) and it seems they can only be read on the computer. She's going to call the library tomorrow to find out what's going on. In the meantime, seems my brand new reader isn't working properly and she's on her way to the store with it now. (why is it 100 people can buy something and it works properly and I buy it and it's a lemon?) So, it's possible they CAN be downloaded easily but because my reader is defective that's creating the problem. Who knows? Anyway, perhaps I'll have more info tomorrow. This is why I HATE all this technology. Grrrrr
Old 11-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

I'm the same way Red....love love love it when it works, but mostly I have "operator errors"...if only for a defective device to blame!! :oops:
Old 11-29-2009, 01:28 PM

I LOVE MY KINDLE!!!! I treated myself to one when the price dropped down to $259. Dealing with my local library was frustrating -- I usually had to go on a wait list for weeks to get the new books. Now I get them in less than 5 minutes. New releases are usually around $10, older books $4-7, old classics and some other not-as-famous books are FREE. I found it to be very user friendly - it always remembers where I left off when I turn it on. It's small, lighter than a real book, and very readable. No, it won't let you share books to other accounts, but I'm not sure how Barnes and Noble is going to handle that with their NOOK. If they let everyone share, they won't be getting much in book sales, so I imagine that they will be set up similar to Amazon. The screen is easy to read, even in the sun -- much better than my phone or camera. I was surprised to see that whenever Amazon updates the software, it automatically downloads to my unit so I'm up-to-date with new advances. I highly recommend Kindle -- I just got one for my daughter for Xmas. I think theyare great for anyone who reads a lot because they are so convenient and portable.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:32 PM

And I forgot to mention that you need never connect to your computer to use the Kindle -- great news for all of us who are totally computer illiterate. You do need the computer to download audio books, but that's about it for general use.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
I'm the same way Red....love love love it when it works, but mostly I have "operator errors"...if only for a defective device to blame!! :oops:
More often than not I'M the defective device! :lol:

That said, my daughter brought it back to the store and the manager tried it and agreed it was defective and gave her a new one. She tried it on her computer (since I was out) and it works just fine.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:04 PM

No Alfie, they are fiction. The are about an African lady that becomes the first lady detective in Africa. The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency Series is written by a man Alexander McCall Smith.

I read Ann Rule too, these may be a little too tame for you. Most people either really like them or don't like them at all. But I read so much I have to mix it up. I read Janet Envanovich, Nevada Barr, Lisa Gardner, Lisa Jackson Fern Michaels Sisterhood, and then I read Jan Karon and all the Quilt Novels I can find and sometimes I switch to Stephen King. I like anything that takes place South or Pacific NW. I guess I pretty much like anything fiction. I average 2 books a week.
Originally Posted by Alfie
Shaverg... What is the Number Lady Detective Series. Are they true stories?? I like Ann Rule books and true crime. Just wondering??
Thanks
Old 11-29-2009, 06:42 PM

Can anyone reccommend which quilt novels I should start with? I haven't read any yet and don't know where to start. By the way, HBO did a great job making No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency into a miniseries. Well worth a trip to the local dvd rental store.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:54 AM

You will like 'Murder on Elderberry Road'..they have all 3 of hers on there from what I checked out the other day. You can do 'fictional quilt mysteries' and get many booted up. Tell us what you downloaded...I might want to keep a list here:)Skeat
Old 11-30-2009, 03:55 AM

Also...in 'Quilter's Home' they made a great quilted notebook to slide it in...looks like something I'd have to make myself if one ever shows up here:)Just FYI:)
Old 11-30-2009, 09:38 AM

I like the Shenandoah Series, by Emily Richards there are 5 in the series. The first is called Wedding Ring. I also like Jennifer Chiaverini, Elm Creek Quilters series. I am up to the 5th one she has written 12+. Both Emily Richards and Jennifer Chiaverini are great writers.
Originally Posted by Nancy in Louisiana
Can anyone reccommend which quilt novels I should start with? I haven't read any yet and don't know where to start. By the way, HBO did a great job making No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency into a miniseries. Well worth a trip to the local dvd rental store.