Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Foundation for string quilt. >

Foundation for string quilt.

Foundation for string quilt.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:16 AM

If you have flannel scraps that are too small to wash in a machine. I would take them and soak in very hot water, put them in a lettuce spinning to get the wash out and lay flat to dry. This will shrink the flannel and you will also know if any are going to bleed. I made a small flannel quilt and didn't check for bleeding, now I have a red ? pink quilt.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:40 AM

I have used old copy paper; put one line on it and go; I shorten the stitch length so it's easy to tear off; while watching tv or for keeping kids or grands busy removing the paper. I haven't found it that hard to remove.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by ctrysass2012 View Post
Can the Sediment Shield be pressed? I purchased some light weight stuff, probably for making patterns & it melted. Made a mess of my iron.
No, the iron will melt it. I press only from the front side, and carefully.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by love to sew View Post
This is what I do as well, however, I remove the phone book paper first, then starch then square up to the size I want. Since my strings can be uneven and not always on straight of grain I get a block that is squared up AFTER I take the paper off. just in case I stretch it as I take the paper off.
Good tip! I know stretching does happen sometimes when I remove my paper.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Bought that sediment stuff...works great...roll will last 2 lifetimes! But before that I used tissue paper (gift wrap), or telephone books- don't see them anymore-and now I get perspectives in the mail, same thin paper so I can use them, better than trying to read/understand them. I used fabric once, to heavy, even though it was a low grade muslin...paper is crisper to work with..jmho
what a great way to use those stock perspectives!!! And to think I just hauled off a bunch to the recycle center.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:45 AM

I have used Kab-net wax paper, it's the type of thing with which a deli would wrap a sandwich. I got mine at Sam's Club or Costco, and the sheets come in a dispenser box that makes them easy to pull out, rather like kleenex. It's enough to last forever and tears off easily.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:19 AM

Default I totally agree!

Originally Posted by WishIWasQuilting View Post
A couple of thoughts, 1) look at your oldest, ugliest, most see-through cotton fabrics, and use up some stash. 2) if you have muslin on hand, try that. 3) if you belong to a guild, or local group that does charity quilts, and the quilt will ultimately be for charity, ask if you can have some of their old, ugly, see-through fabric or muslin.

All suggestions are completely serious -- I just took over Charity Quilts for my guild, and the amount of fabric in my house easily quadrupled overnight. Some of the whites are practically see-through and would be perfect for foundations. Liz
We have a free table at my guild and sometimes I can pick up really thin fabric (I like to use white or light) and then I cut it into 12" or 10" squares, whatever I need for my current string project.

Suggestion: You might want to have one color or B/W in the center to make the quilt more cohesive. Just a thought. BTW, I have never done a flannel string project. I would love to see what you do with it.
Attached Thumbnails string-quilt.jpg  
Old 01-29-2018, 07:30 AM

BUT.......just be sure you don't let a hot iron touch it, 'cause it melts. And with that statement, you don't have to ask me how I know. I just use a big cotton dish towel to cover it for pressing. I do like it tho, doesn't seem to have bias stretch to it.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
I've never made a string quilt, it's on my to-do list and I plan on using cheapo muslin since I have a bolt that I use for garment mock-ups, I know how to build the blocks but when you're putting the blocks together to make a flimsy
1: are you still using the standard 1/4" seam allowance
2: are you pressing seams to the side or open
3: is it possible to use selvages in a string block, I have tons of selvage edges
Austinite, check out Bonnie Hunter's tutorial on string piecing. She is the queen of string blocks!

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...ng-primer.html

Maryquilts has a tutorial too: http://www.maryquilts.com/wp-content...tringsred1.pdf

to answer your questions: yes 1/4 seam, but with a foundation no one will see them. Good starter project if you are teaching someone to sew. Press to the side. Selveges are great. Google them for tons of ideas

Don't forget to come back here and show us what you made!
Old 01-29-2018, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by SherylM View Post
One thought that I had about using flannel is the shrinkage - if it wasn't washed before it was turned into scraps it could shrink up something fierce after the quilt is done, and if the foundation doesn't shrink too you could have problems. I usually wash and dry flannel twice before I use it. Of course you can't do that with scraps.

It's also a good idea to use a bigger than usual seam allowance - I've had some 1/4" seam allowances in flannel shred and come apart (purchased at my LQS. )
These were my thougts, too. I'd, also, do a dense quilting when completed to stabilize it better. I've only used 10" paper squares from MSQC so I can't speak to another foundation. I didn't have any issues with the paper. Just shorten stitch length so it perforated to tear away. Just takes seconds...