Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone bought an Olfa cutting mat recently? >

Anyone bought an Olfa cutting mat recently?

Anyone bought an Olfa cutting mat recently?

Old 03-24-2018, 07:58 PM
Power Poster

Default Anyone bought an Olfa cutting mat recently?

I am thinking about getting a new mat for my cutting table. Although the cutting mat that came with my table is still in fine shape (after 15+ years!), I noticed recently when using my Olfa rotary mat that my rotary cutter seems much easier to use on the Olfa surface. I have to press harder on my big mat.

Anyhow, it seems like a luxury, but I am thinking of getting an Olfa mat to place on top of my existing mat. Things change so fast these days, I am wondering if the newer Olfa mats are as good as the old ones (I bought my Olfa rotary mat many years ago). I have read that the lines are better now, but that the mats themselves are thinner. Also, I have read several reviews that complained about terrible outgassing that does not stop. How long does a new mat have to be aired out to stop smelling?

I am thinking of getting the 35" x 75" with clips to hold the three pieces together, since my table is big enough. I saw in the reviews that a lot of people duct tape the backs together so they don't have to use the clips. This means the mats are not reversible?

Or should I get the 24" x 36" mat? Seems to me that would be big enough for my largest June Tailor mat.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

My original mat is about 25yrs old and is an Olfa.
Definitely worn and I knew it was time to replace.
I still have it and it is on the corner of the table that I don't use so much.

So a couple of years ago, I bought a new set of 3 .... you are correct, the new mats are not as thick.
To me they are more slippery when cutting and while they are still considered "self-healing",
because they are not so thick for the blade to cut into is probably why the slippery feel.

I still don't really like the new mats, but not much I can do about that.
Whenever I ask about it in shops, I just get a blank look or stare, or shrug.
Often have been given the comment, that nothing is like it used to be. IOW get over it!

My new ones are three 24"x36" mats. My table is 48"x72".
The four sit still and I never used the clips that came with them, nor see the need for duct tape.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:33 PM

The new Lori Holt mats are very nice. They are definitely thicker than the Olfa mats, and they're printed on both sides. Plus, they come in cute colors.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:44 PM

I purchased the 3piece 35x75 almost 2 years ago. It fits over my dining table (the dining room is my sewing room). I have been very happy with it. I got it with a 60% off Joanne’s coupon.

I have used Olfa for years and really didn’t notice a difference.

One thing I did do was cover the screws that connect the sections with blue painters tape. The always seemed to catch on things.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:17 AM

I bought a 24 x 36 a couple of months ago and I'm happy with it. There was never any smell to it. It's printed on one side which is what I prefer.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:27 AM

Just a couple of months back, I bought the "set" of Olfa mats, because I thought I would like being able to cut longer pieces, but have found that the "clips" get in the way and the mats aren't as wide as the regular mats, as a result, I find that I rarely use them and wish I had bought a regular Olfa mat. I haven't noticed any overbearing odor.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:21 AM

I listen to a sewing podcast and she talks about how wonderful the Havel cutting mats are.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

I changed to Quilter's Select mats. I have a large Fons and Porter mat that has no lines, only measuring lines at the edges. It is one of the best I have of the green mats. I have all brands of mats and Quilter's Select is the best of the newer mats for me.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:54 PM

I have the 30x60 Martelli & it is really nice. They run periodic 1/2 price sales.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:58 PM

I too love the Quilter's Select mats. And I love how the numbers count both ways on them.