Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 21 - Sign-ups now open thru 5/31*** >

Boom 21 - Sign-ups now open thru 5/31***

Boom 21 - Sign-ups now open thru 5/31***

Old 05-29-2018, 06:47 AM

My turn. I’m married 37 years this year, have 2 adult sons who by serendipity ended up living just 5 miles apart in KS, have two dogs, (13 year old mutt and a 6 year old pit bull) and my mother and her cat live with DH and me. A big part of my day is seeing to mom so I’m tied to the house a lot these days. I’ve been quilting since the early 2000’s but I’m much more interested in piecing than quilting what I’ve made. I began hosting this swap over 4 years ago when the prior host stepped away. I tell people I get a weird thrill out of organizing these swaps, putting people together so they create works of art for each other and it's true. I like to occasionally participate in swaps others run as well. I love playing with my dogs, reading, yoga, boating and I occasionally ride my motorcycle but I think that’s coming to an end. I’ve met only one Boomer in person but have known most of these women for years thanks to this swap and am happy to say they’re a fine group of people.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:00 AM

Welcome everyone - I just looked back and realized I was in Boom 8! At that time we sent each F8 and returned each block to each other. It was fun getting a block in your mailbox - but we had issues when someone didn't send their blocks back and it was lot more $$!! But now we have a trusted host who makes sure we are all on target. We get a large bag of F8's which can be overwhelming - and a even larger bag of finished blocks!!
Old 05-29-2018, 07:03 AM

Default Reminder!

Sign-ups close Thursday night. We can still take people into the 3 month groups. Email me before the deadline with the info requested in post #1 of this thread if you wish to participate. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2018, 07:05 AM

That seems like ages ago, TG. My first one was 10 and then I took over on 11. I had a lot of push back on the "new" mailing system but it works pretty darn well, even if at times I end up pulling my hair out. LOL.

NanaKathy, please check your PM and emails. I need to hear from you!

Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
Welcome everyone - I just looked back and realized I was in Boom 8! At that time we sent each F8 and returned each block to each other. It was fun getting a block in your mailbox - but we had issues when someone didn't send their blocks back and it was lot more $$!! But now we have a trusted host who makes sure we are all on target. We get a large bag of F8's which can be overwhelming - and a even larger bag of finished blocks!!

Last edited by Janice McC; 05-29-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:38 AM

Hello everyone! Back from my trip to Montana. I did get my nephew's quilt done on time and my customer's quilt was bound as we arrived in Billings. Had to stop and buy some new hand sewing needles. Good thing I did, wow, putting toothpicks thru binding is not fun.
I have been quilting for around 23 years. I have been longarm quilting for about 15 years now. I was inspired by my grandmother when she gave me a quilt for my wedding gift. It was a fan quilt. Wish I knew that you were not to put a quilt in the dryer. It was all hand quilted. I need to do some repairs on it now. I have participated in a few of the booms, earlier and later. Janice, I prefer this mailing method, more reliable to me.
Does anyone know what it means when a Native American calls you a "White Weed Woman"? I am trying hard not to fall in that offended category at the moment.
Jaba, I do hope you hang tough girl and we will miss you for sure.
Thank you call for the well wishes. I do have my orthotics, but did not think about putting that in my boot. Maybe go and buy some Dr. Scholls.
Oh, and I was a very naughty girl in the fabric shop. I shopped at Fiberworks, Laura Heine, in Billings and spent way over my alotted budget. I just could not help myself. I was going thru store and buying a quarter yard or half yard, then bought lots of her fabric line. Well, let us say I need to do some customer quilts to pay back my savings. LOL Got some beautiful fabrics though and thinking I just may use the three yard lot I bought for this swap. I had no plans for it, just loved it. We shall see if I can part with it. LOL I may split up the fat quarter bundle and send that out to make blocks for the panel I bought of hers. Pondering.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

Welcome, Crystal! I think you are going to have lots of fun making blocks with this group!
Old 05-29-2018, 08:54 AM

Hello everyone, I’m one of the newbies. I’m new to both quilting and this board. I’ve become really familiar with the words “confident beginner”.

i was just complaining to my husband last night that the sew sampler barn block is listed as a beginner block. Pfft. I know enough to know that any block with 41 pieces ending up at 12 1/2 inches is no beginner block.

I breed Havanese here at our home in The Willamette valley. I love my work, it is super intense with long hours when I have a litter of puppies and really relaxed with lots of free time when I don’t. We don’t kennel our dogs, they all live in the house with dh and my youngest son, the only one of four still at home. Dh works at a nearby lab as a research scientist, keeping him pretty busy although he is constantly trying to invent better ways to organize my sewing room/spare bedroom.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:56 AM

Hello to all. Couldn’t stay away too long, I miss the excitement. DH and I have been married 49 years, we have four children, 12 grandchildren and a great granddaughter who just happens to live right across the street. She thinks i’m The cookie lady because we make cookies every Wednesday for youth group. I cannot remember not sewing. In my high school years I won a sewing contest at our Singer Store. I won a small reel to reel tape player. When my daughter was young we made a lot of her clothes with Ben Franklin flat folded fabric. Then in high school I made prom dresses. But she never could find one pattern that she liked. We always had two or three patterns to combine. I even made one for an exchange student who thought it was a big deal to have a dress hand tailored to her liking. Then I went to work for 25 years delivering mail. (And buying fabric to build a stash!) Now, retired and home to sew and be GramE. Four grands graduating next week, then 2 of them leaving for boot camp. Four years ago, I stumbled on a website called Inklingo and have taught myself to hand sew, which I thought was a totally unattainable goal. But now i’ve got a Millefiori on my design wall waiting for me to remember it’s there. I stumbled on to the QuiltingBoard website while looking for a quilt pattern and I haven’t looked back!

But my first Boom was 16, I think. Sat out a couple for health reasons, but itching to get back into the stitch of things. I’ve signed up, but I have not picked a fabric yet. Trying to decide what the end purpose for this quilt will be. Maybe a gift so I want to get the fabric right.

This is is the kindest group Of women. Hands down. No competition. And our fantastic leader, she has a great sense of humor, she has to as she keeps us all in line. Generous, compassionate, helpful. Everyone is #1!

Hope your experience is as great as mine have been. ❤️
Old 05-29-2018, 09:53 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595138[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 0ecc9858-351f-4efc-b7d8-88194fe61217.jpeg  
Old 05-29-2018, 10:26 AM

Welcome Crystal and PamelaOry - You'll love Qb and especially the Booms. There is a wealth of knowledge here, don't be afraid to ask any questions or for advice.