Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone else had this problem? >

Has anyone else had this problem?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 07-06-2018, 09:41 PM

Default Has anyone else had this problem?

I bought some fabric that absolutely was not inexpensive and I have never seen anything fray like this before. The fabric is Lori Whitlock's Happy Day by Riley Blake. I have never bought anything by Riley Blake before and although there are many fabrics that I absolutely love I don't believe I will ever again. I made a baby quilt for my god daughter's grand baby and finished quilting it only to discover that although I made sure there were no loose threads, I have red threads that frayed off somehow! I am so upset about this I don't know what to do? Anyone know any way of fixing this. I couldn't believe the threads coming out all over the place when I cut my binding. I have never even had this happen with fabrics from Joann's.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:44 PM

Can you post a picture so we know for sure what you saying?
Were you using scant 1/4 inch seams?
Old 07-07-2018, 04:00 AM
Power Poster

Did you prewash the fabric before using it? I ask because prewashing will preshrink (as long as you dry with heat) and tighten the weave to discourage fraying. I have never had a fabric fray bad except gold lame and that was horrible. Prewashing won't help Lame because it is all synthetic.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:16 AM

I am really sorry to hear that as we assume that fabric designed by such a big name as
Riley Blake would be OK. I think I would contract the seller and tell your experience-that should not happen.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

I've used Riley Blake fabrics and they've been wonderful. How frustrating for you! I agree about contacting the seller or the company. That stuff is expensive!
Old 07-07-2018, 05:20 AM

I just finished a quilt that frayed like crazy (it's at the longarmer, now). All fabrics were purchased at a quilt shop. The focus fabric was Moda. I did not prewash. I was surprised that the fabric behaved that way.

Generally speaking, I'm no longer sure that quilt shop fabric is any higher quality than that found at the chain stores. They usually have prettier fabrics, though.

bkay
Old 07-07-2018, 05:28 AM

I too believe, like bkay, that quality has been lowered as prices have risen......I would definitely let mfgr know that you r not pleased with their product. Perhaps a boycott would help turn this reduced quality situation around....it has worked in other areas.......
Old 07-07-2018, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

If the red thread is underneath and you can see it in the quilt you can remove it. There is a tool for this.

https://www.connectingthreads.com/to...c__D81949.html

Moda increased their thread count and quilters complained it wasn't what they wanted and didn't buy it so Moda went back to the less thread count. It's not Moda's fault, the quilters did this to themselves.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:05 AM

I've had some batik fabrics that frayed like crazy and I starch my fabrics before I cut into them. Thought batiks were tighter weaved but not these I had the issue with. Also thought starching would cut down on the fraying too,.....again not so for these fabrics. Don't recall what brand they were though.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Moda increased their thread count and quilters complained it wasn't what they wanted and didn't buy it so Moda went back to the less thread count. It's not Moda's fault, the quilters did this to themselves.
That's interesting! I've noticed how badly some of the Moda fabrics fray, but I wonder why people complained when they tried to improve things.