Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
traveling foot pedal >

traveling foot pedal

traveling foot pedal

Old 10-14-2018, 02:57 PM

Default traveling foot pedal

Tips needed for a traveling foot pedal. I've tried everything - non-slip drawer liner, rugs, mats sold for this purpose(don't work for me!) My foot pedals are on hardwood floors and I have to chase it around the floor! I've set hubby to thinking of a solution - hope he comes up with something. Any ideas???
Old 10-14-2018, 03:05 PM

Maybe a gel mat would work -- might give enough cushion between the petal and the floor to grip better.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:21 PM

I had the same problem. There is a woodworking man that comes to one of our quilt shows and made some sort of a help for the problem. I'm not sure if the back of the sewing machine doesn't help more than this platform. Needless to say, I have one and use it, but my foot pedal is always up to the corner.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602537[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]602538[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20181014_191154_resized.jpg   20181014_191104_resized.jpg  
Old 10-14-2018, 04:35 PM
DJ

I need an answer to this question, too!
Old 10-14-2018, 06:05 PM

I've done this on rulers, so wonder if it would work on foot pedals? Putting some drops of rubber glue on the bottom, let dry. You wouldn't be gluing it to the floor, just making bottom more "sticky".
Old 10-14-2018, 06:11 PM

I put a box filled with patterns on the floor in front of mine. The foot pedal hasn't moved since then. If you made the wood item like Battle Axe (Marcia?), did with a 1 to 2 inch lip, you would be doing about the same thing. Of course, if you push out with your foot instead of down, then the whole device could move.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:43 PM

I like that wood one. Some more ideas can be found at Sewing machine foot pedal I like the old mouse pad one. I wonder if something like https://www.harborfreight.com/anti-f...mat-61241.html or https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piec...set-94635.html or other anti-fatique mats could be used. Maybe the mats could be trimmed to fit. I've used yoga mats that I've picked up from thrift stores for mats to set things on. It helps to keep machines from slipping and also protects surfaces from being scratched. If you notice the purple mat under the work stand at Colorado get-together? you will see that I cut a yoga mat down. Another idea - look at auto floor mats.'

ETA another idea: https://so-sew-easy.com/non-slip-sew...oot-pedal-pad/

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 10-14-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:51 PM

My husband has made a 1/4" plywood template for the floor under my sewing machine that holds my machine pedal in the correct position. The template is a rectangle with a space cut out of the front for my pedal to slide in exactly where I want it. It's a simple and reliable solution. The back of the plywood goes all the way to the wall so it's impossible for my pedal to slide back. I have another one on my Tiara sit-down quilting machine.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:31 PM

I have your solution, because I was plagued with this problem, too. First, measure the space all around your footpedal. For me, it was boxed in by the two sides of the desk and the wall (baseboard) at the back. Go to the Dollar Store and buy a cheap floormat/welcome mat that will completely fill that space. They're around a quarter inch to a half inch thick, and kind of rubbery, something you can easily cut. Once you get it home, trim it if it's too big to fit in there, then place your foot pedal in the most comfortable place for your foot to work it when you are seated correctly to sew. Now trace around the foot pedal onto the mat in that spot, cut that section out (I used my rotary cutter, gasp!), making a hole in the mat exactly the size and shape of your foot pedal. Now plop that pedal down into the hole you made for it and sew to your heart's content, never having to chase it around again!
Old 10-15-2018, 03:36 AM

Another idea is to use some kind of a mat that doesn't slip on your floor, then put a piece of Velcro on the bottom of your pedal and the other piece of the Velcro on the mat and then stick the two pieces of Velcro together. Hope it works.