Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has anybody else tested DNA? >

Has anybody else tested DNA?

Has anybody else tested DNA?

Old 01-16-2019, 01:03 PM

I received an Ancestry kit for Christmas. I have yet to fill the tube with saliva... I'm not opposed, I just haven't done it. After reading these comments, I think I may just send it in this week! My mom was adopted. She found her birth mother through a search in the early 2000's, and she's still a huge part of our lives though my mom passed a few years ago.. My main concern is the other half of her DNA. I know NOTHING about her "father," and worry about matches popping up.

The "in strangers hands" aspect doesn't make me too nervous, but I do think about it from time to time. My DNA is already in at least one database from genetic tests I had done before and after having my son. He has a rare birth defect and has had multiple tests done to pinpoint which gene mutated. Its fascinating stuff, really!
Old 01-21-2019, 04:54 AM

My sister and I,and several cousins have gotten pretty heavy into the family ancestry. I find it amazing that I can find news paper articles of things happening in the family that we've heard our parents talk about. as in : had a cousin that went off an icy bridge with her 4 children,all 5 drowned, found her and the kids grave sites, found a cousin had deceased is why I can't find her, I could spend days on the computer searching ,as we came from a big family on both parents sides of families. Had a cousin that was a history teacher in Miami ,never knew I had. He traced our family tree and lots of history and put into a book like history book,he died before he got it finished, so an aunt finished it for all 78 of us grandchildren ! my mother had 11 siblings!
absolutely it.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:08 AM

My oldest son had a DNA test done they had him at:

47% North and West European. (His biological father's ancestors immigrated from Spain)
22.5% Central American (Again no ancestors here either)
16% Scandinavian (Who knew he was a Viking!....lol alas no ancestors)
2.9% Native American (quite the shock there! Everyone on my Mom on back is 100% Native American, I myself am 3/4%
so my son would be 3/8ths which would be 37.5%)
1.8% Eskimo (He did have a cold nose once in a while when he was a kid....lol)
1.2% Central Asia (No one from Turkmenistan, Krgyzstan, Kazakhstan in the family)

It is all a scam.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:11 PM

I found this on YouTube. Not going to waste my money.

https://youtu.be/Isa5c1p6aC0
Old 01-29-2019, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
do all the siblings with the same parents have identical "ethnic" dna?
There was consumer report done by CBC in Canada. Identical twins (whose DNA is practically identical) did DNA tests with 5 different tests. They should have gotten very similar results, practically identical. Did they? Nope! Some of the results were similar, but some were wildly different. Makes me question the veracity of the tests.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/d...lace-1.4980976
Old 01-30-2019, 02:49 AM

I have enough relatives and drama in my life now so I don't need to look for more. LOL
Old 01-30-2019, 04:07 AM

On the news last night a man had a reunion of 25 (grown) children who all had had DNA testing and found he was the father - from a sperm bank. Since then 5 more contacted him. They all seemed happy. I remember a couple of guys striving to make it through medical school donating sperm for the money. Bet there will be a lot more of this coming to light.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
Makes me question the veracity of the tests.
Or maybe our level of understanding DNA and how it works.

I've always been curious about DNA tests ever since I read about a woman who was about to lose custody of her children (can't remember the reason) because her DNA did not match theirs. Her ex-husband was even in her corner, saying he had watched them come out of her body. Finally it was discovered that she was a genetic chimera; she had 2 different sets of DNA in her body because (they think) she had absorbed a twin in utero. Her uterine DNA was different than her oral DNA. Scientists claim it is a rare condition, but how do they know? It's only been in the last 5 years that DNA testing has become commercially available. We don't know what we don't know.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:21 PM

That's a new one for me. We studied fruit chimeras that's a red apple with a slice that is yellow. Two different kinds of apple in one apple.

Mine came back that I was Greek. Yet there is no mention of Greeks from our family history. But if you look at the migration patterns, it could be. Rome with Greek mercenaries marched North along the Black Sea. Earliest family notation is Northern Austria....they came from somewhere.
Old 01-06-2023, 10:02 AM

old thread new tester I did my kit for AncestryDNA today. I came to look for this thread to see if anyone else laughed as hard as I did. You get a test tube with a little cup on the top and you spit into the cup until the wavy line is reached. The insert says "It's easy, it's only 1/4 teaspoon!" It took me about 15 minutes to get that much spit. No kidding.

Reading through the whole thread, indeed multiple opinions on all sides. I don't have any kids, and most of my family is already gone, and I don't do genealogy. Why did I do it? I'm an info junkie.
This site has all kinds of options for keeping your dna private, for having it destroyed
after testing, for opting into or out of contacts...

I like to have things to look forward to, part of having and surviving cancer three times. The results take about 3 months, so looking forward to that!