Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
charm packs and layer cakes >

charm packs and layer cakes

charm packs and layer cakes

Old 01-26-2019, 06:17 AM

Default charm packs and layer cakes

Hello, I took a quilting trip in October to Missouri Star Quilt Co in Hamilton,Missouri. We went to a workshop with Jenny Doan and of course, shopped at all the fabric shops lining the street. While there I purchased (2) 10 inch Layer Cakes and 3 yds of matching yardage for borders, etc. I can use white as a background but will this make a queen sized quilt and what pattern do you suggest?http://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/...?q=Cottage+Joy The yardage fabric is Cottage Joy green. I really like this and it has Mason Jars in the layer cake fabrics.

I also got (10, yes 10) 5 inch Charm packs of Roses on The Vine but could not locate it for the link. Here is the photo of those. I also wanted to make a queen size. Will I have enough fabric for a queen top?

I like The Double Square Star someone quilted for a relative here on the QB. I thought of making one of these off of that pattern if you thought the fabrics were suitable. Some of the charms are so light I didn't know if it would look good with a white background I have to use. Just help with any pattern suggestions and tell me if I have enough packs, before I start cutting! Thank you[ATTACH=CONFIG]607387[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_9283.jpg  
Old 01-26-2019, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

For the 10 charm packs, you have equivalent to 2.5 layer cakes. Paired with a background it is enough for a queen size quilt and I would look for a background that is white on white print. You have enough that you wouldn’t have to use the white with blue dots.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:39 AM

I don't know of any layer cake patterns offhand, but if you google 'quilts made with 10 in squares layer cakes' you'll get a whole bunch of MSQC tutorials; also check the images for more pattern ideas.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:06 AM

Thanks Joyce, the sq is light blue with darker blue dots but it sure it a light blue. I do have white on white for my background and med blue on blue print I guess you'd say, for my backing.
Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
For the 10 charm packs, you have equivalent to 2.5 layer cakes. Paired with a background it is enough for a queen size quilt and I would look for a background that is white on white print. You have enough that you wouldn’t have to use the white with blue dots.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:10 AM

Thanks Lisa, I didn't realize when I bought the Cottage Joy layer cakes, it might look better in the kitchen as runners or placemats since it's jars and such. I don't need those items. I want to make big quilts for the kids. My backing is bright yellow.
Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I don't know of any layer cake patterns offhand, but if you google 'quilts made with 10 in squares layer cakes' you'll get a whole bunch of MSQC tutorials; also check the images for more pattern ideas.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:26 AM

I went to the MSQC website to see your fabric and on the left hand side there is a “Product Type” and you can choose patterns for both 5 inch charms (which there are 210) or 10 inch layer cakes (only 24) for available patterns.

In the charm patterns, I liked the Square Dance and Nine Patch Madness...both have white backgrounds. I especially love your Cottage Joy fabric. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:32 AM

Thank you jmoore for explaining how you found all the patterns for these packs, charms and cakes. I'm going to have a look.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:53 AM

I was looking on the web the other day for a pattern for my mom. I found one called "hunter's star" made easy with Jenny. It is a youtube video. She used a 10" layer cake.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:38 AM

"Framed" is a free pattern by Silk Road Life that uses Layer cakes. I have used this pattern soon to be 4 times. You'll need to add sashings and or borders to get your queen size.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
"Framed" is a free pattern by Silk Road Life that uses Layer cakes. I have used this pattern soon to be 4 times. You'll need to add sashings and or borders to get your queen size.
I agree, “Framed” would be a perfect pattern for your layer cakes. Here is the link:
https://silkroadlife.wordpress.com/2...uilt-tutorial/

Good luck. I love your choices. BTW, here is a link for the “Roses on the Vine” fabric:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/6440817...iABEgJTp_D_BwE