Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I know nobody’s looking but... >

I know nobody’s looking but...

I know nobody’s looking but...

Old 08-10-2019, 06:20 PM

Default I know nobody’s looking but...

Is there anyone out there that has perfect tension on the back? With my new midarm, the top stitches are perfect. The bobbin stitches are fine. They’re good but I can still see the upper thread showing through even with very reduced tension. I can live with this for sure but I’m curious to know if anyone out there has the perfect balance of tension on the front and back at the same time? And I know most people don’t care what the back looks like, but I’d love to know.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:58 PM

Are you keeping you top and bobbin threads close in color and value. I will not quilt for someone if they insist on something like white on top with red bobbin. Increasing your top tension slightly may solve it. Change in Very small increments and write down every change so you have a record. Remember changes in thread & batting will change tension requirements as well. I put a dot on my tension knob and keep a notebook listing how many turns less or more I need for each type of thread. I rarely change bobbin tension. Superior threads sells a gauge that tells you your bobbin tension. I use 3 different threads for bobbins. I have a separate bobbin case for each type. I used the bobbin tester to change them all to the same setting. Now when I change thread I only have to adjust top thread.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:45 PM

Wow that's amazing! What do you think about this on the back side? Am I being unrealistic or is this normal? It really didn't change on either 5.75 or 3.25 for the upper loop tension. I know the bobbin tension is good, they just set the machine up today and she showed me. Of course at the time I didn't think to look at the bottom tension but now it looks off to me, regardless of if the upper tension is tight or loose. Thoughts?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]615918[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_5534.jpeg  
Old 08-10-2019, 07:50 PM
Power Poster

Will you post a picture of the top side, too,?
Old 08-10-2019, 08:05 PM

And here is the top thread...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]615920[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_5536.jpg  
Old 08-10-2019, 08:09 PM

I used a thread from Superior Thread that I have never used before and getting the tension set properly was an absolute nightmare! When I would get it where it needed to be and everything looked good I would start quilting and then it was off again. I almost gave up but finally it worked! Ripping stitches is no fun, not when sewing or quilting. I was taught to use 2 different colors so you know exactly where the problem is but sometimes that's impossible. Hope you post pictures of the top stitches.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:13 PM

Considering the colors your working with I think it looks fine. Sometimes when you have a picture that makes it look like the stitches are gigantic it's really hard to see the pokies but like I said with these colors I personally think it is fine. Is this your quilt or a customer quilt?
Old 08-10-2019, 08:47 PM

Nope, just me. But it's a new machine and I'm not sure what's normal and what's not. I'm absolutely not at any point soon entering a quilt show, but I have a feeling this wouldn't fly. I just want to make sure my new machine is in order and what to expect. The top is great, just the bottom seems out of whack. I'm curious what your thoughts are...
Old 08-10-2019, 09:33 PM

Pokies happen even with perfect tension, which is why many quilters, myself included, use the exact same color thread on both top and in bobbin.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:52 AM
Power Poster

I have read, and have not checked it out, that the pokies disappear into the sandwich when the quilt is washed.