Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery >

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Old 01-22-2020, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Colorado Quilter View Post
I don't mean to complain, I think Bonnie is very generous with her time and talent. I just don't like this quilt, it is too busy for my taste. I like the blocks that many of you have posted, I guess it's just the layout. I am going to use the components to make other quilts. This was my first mystery quilt, I was able to keep up and it was fun to see everyone's progress. I just can't see taking the time to finish a quilt that I am not happy with. Good luck to all of you with your quilts.
Colorado, my first BH MQ was Grand Illusion and Frolic looks tame after GI. I did not like GI - it was waayy too busy for me. But I finished it and a friend loved it. Since then, I've controlled my palette of fabrics for each one and it has made all the difference. And I've learned a lot from each MQ. You could sash with just a solid fabric and make it less busy. Someone will love Frolic and you can gift it to them and know that scrappy may not be for you for MQ 2020.

Last edited by IrishNY; 01-22-2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:00 PM

IrishNY and Tallchick, love the block(s) you have pieced and your fabric choices. I can’t wait to see more photos as you continue to build blocks.

Bonnie is generous and does put a lot of time and dedication into her mysteries...I usually only participate every “other” year as they do get to be quite time consuming.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:36 PM

Tallchick and IrishNY, your blocks are gorgeous! I'm so impressed with how everyone is making this quilt their own. The different color schemes make it so much fun. I love it when I see something I never would have thought of.
I have one (!) block done. It seemed to take me a long time just to assemble the corner block units. Like origamigoldfish, I make one block at a time, and I press the seams and then use a clapper to flatten them so they turn out close to the correct size. Hopefully, I will be able to speed up my output with more repetition.

Leslie

Attached Thumbnails frolic-block-1.jpg  
Old 01-23-2020, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Colorado, have you tried setting some straight rather than on point?

There is a picture on FB that was done smaller (16 squares, so 4 x 4) with a straight set and that strobing motion that I see in the on-point setting does not appear. Someone else left out the sashing strips, and even that made a significant difference.
I didn't assemble any blocks but I have used some of the components already. I sewed the narrow rectangles together end to end and made a narrow boarder for another project. I also sewed the flying geese together end to end for a boarder and that worked out great. I really like how Bonnie had us press the FG, I had never done that before, it made the pieces easy to sew together and really reduced the bulk in the point. Even though I won't make Bonnie's quilt, the pieces won't go to waste.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:44 AM

I have almost always found her quilts to be busy. I tame them by using one fabric per color. This one I started scrappy and quickly lost interest. I may give it another go with beachy colors.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:48 AM

Five more sets then all my block sub-units will be done! That doesn't include the setting triangles and the blocks are not complete yet, just sewn and trimmed.

It's always funny to me the way we all work/are wired differently. One of the things I really don't like about this project is having to do it block by block, but others of you prefer to work that way and to do my form of assembly line piecing would drive you crazy! As my friends say, it was a short trip for me...

I like my blocks just fine for the most part -- but I really like the pictures some of you are posting! But as I remind myself, this was never a "me" project and I don't have to be excited for me. I mentioned it before, but I'm prepared to have close friends/family members rave about it because it isn't my style.

We have a new member asking about the seams and different ways to make flying geese over in this thread:
Hello! I'm new with a question regarding geese
Since I pretty much always do mine as basically a variation of traditional piecing using oversized triangles, or the rectangle/two squares method, I have no real background in the other techniques.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:46 AM

tallchick and audsgirl, your blocks are wonderful!

Yesterday I finished my four quarter block corners and am nearly done with my first half block side triangle. Now that I'm used to it, I'm thinking I should be able to work on them all at once (component by component) or at least four at a time.

Iceblossom, I also much prefer chain piecing components to working on one block at a time.
Attached Thumbnails img_4401_fotor.jpg  
Old 01-23-2020, 10:12 AM

Great job, Joe's mom! I admire anyone who can work on these in assembly line fashion and still maintain order. I would mess things up royally if I did that. For me, working on a segment and then getting up to go to the ironing board and the cutting table keeps everything fresh. My eyes have a tendency to glaze over when I continually do the same task. And then my accuracy falters. I have trouble with precision as it is!

Leslie
Old 01-23-2020, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

Here's my first completed block. I don't think it will be my favorite though.
I don't like the aqua I chose.

Can't get picture to upload.

Last edited by SusieQOH; 01-23-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

Anyone know how to upload from and Iphone to a Mac?
I tried every size and none would upload