Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery >

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Old 02-24-2020, 07:20 AM

ok, it's off the working wall I Love my center and my fabrics, but I've spent three days working out different ideas for the pieced border, or borders and I'm just making mental soup. time for a little break so I switched to a jeans needle and am working on a gift for a generous board member or bailed me out of a hole I'd sewed myself into.

happylab, you mentioned buying 9 yards of background for a mystery. Wow. that's probably 6000 1.5" pieces! Or includes the backing? can you link to the mystery? Being a lover of little pieces. I think my Dear Jane took about 15 yards total.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:14 AM

Progress report!

I was lucky enough to have the day off while the weather was absolutely miserable, so no going out for me today. Sat down with my coffee, turned my machine on, and made the executive decision to put my pins and clips away, and cut back on how often I run and iron each block. I also tucked my leader and ender scraps back in their box. If I didn't make some major progress on this thing today, the odds of it ending up as a UFO was very, very high. Finished roughly is better than an UFO, mismatched points and all.

I finished the block I had laying out the last time I updated, and then got to work. If my instincts told me to flip a block over and sew it on the wrong side, I went ahead and did it. If making a seam line up properly meant flipping an allowance the opposite direction for a few minutes? I did that too. I pretty much ignored everything I have been taught about proper piecing and just sewed the way I thought might be easiest for these blocks to go together.

And actually....it turned out okay. The points still (mostly) line up, and aren't any worse than when I took three times as long to pin and press every single seam. I don't need to steam each block unit before piecing either, just a quick press is fine, with the steam at the end. Putting them all together, you can't pick out which ones I did properly, and the ones I did today. I think my flying geese seams on today's batch of blocks have actually lined up better than the ones I spent so much time carefully pinning.

So far today I have finished 7 blocks...more than I was doing in two weeks before. I have four more left to sew this afternoon, and then I can move on to setting triangles!
Old 02-25-2020, 05:22 PM

origamigoldfish: Awesome progress! I’m not a big fan of bad weather but it sometimes gives us these unexpected sewing days.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:36 AM

I have lost my mojo on this project. Got the first 25 blocks done and then just looking at the directions for the corners and ends brought me to a screeching halt. I really have to be in the mood for this.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:50 AM

Origami- love your attitude and determination to get this done! I can’t wait to see your completed project, loved your fabric choices!

Maminstl: I’m sorry you’ve lost your mojo ☹️, but the key is recognizing that you have to be in a particular mood to tackle this. Perhaps taking a break for a bit will help you get that loving feeling back!

I’ve got 6 blocks done, and I plan on working on this with no self imposed deadlines! I know that Bonnie loves scrappy and small pieces, and my intention coming into this, was slow and steady. I’ve decided to work on a few projects at a time so that I’m not getting bored, I think I’ll rename Frolic to Lazy Days, cause that’s when I seem to decide to work on a block!
My hats off to everyone, I just love seeing everyone’s interpretations of Frolic, we have such a talented group!
Old 02-26-2020, 07:00 AM

A big woohoo for those who are continuing on and understanding and a hug for those who have come to a pause....

My tasks for the day are to finish the back and make the binding, or at least draw the lines on the binding, I've cut and sewn my bias piece. I also sliced some of my extra blocks and have my diagonal bar for the back almost done, so not a whole lot of effort for today.

Cleaning up after this project has been worse than usual for me, but I'm going to feel good when every bit of these fabrics is hidden away for awhile!

Yesterday at group I didn't have much to bring since I spent all week last week working on the XFL Dragons outfits and banner for me and the hubby, pictures over here:
https://www.quiltingboard.com/person...m-t309905.html
I did cut a piece of binding I had made for another project, bit by bit clearing off the chaos that has landed on those boxes I had to move and now have to clear off and move back. I'm keeping the fabric for the next project on a hanger on the back of my bedroom door for now.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
A big woohoo for those who are continuing on and understanding and a hug for those who have come to a pause....
Cleaning up after this project has been worse than usual for me, but I'm going to feel good when every bit of these fabrics is hidden away for awhile!
I've filled up my working wall with something else exciting, but after a 2 or 3 day break, I definitely was overthinking my frolic borders. When this house block projects comes off it will be fun to get back to frolic...with a clean palette so to speak.

And ne-ner ne-ner, I cut all my scraps as I went, so even those are cute! I know, don't hate me
Old 02-26-2020, 02:11 PM

maminstl, I totally understand the lack of mojo. I pretty much took a break the week after the reveal until this week, trying to wrap my mind around how busy this quilt is going to be because somehow it turned out nothing like I expected. I am like that on quilts though...the last one I made sat as a flimsy for almost a year before I finally was in the mood to quilt it...and I did no other sewing during that time. You'll get it done in time...don't feel bad about not finishing it quickly!

retiredteacher09, tallchick, thank you for the encouragement!

Iceblossom, I love the outfits! they're so fun!

Kalama, I can't wait to see pictures

I finished the main blocks last night, working on half blocks now. I am hoping to finish them and be able to lay everything out my next day off. I am still torn on borders, but I think I'm going to go with pinwheels or using the HSTs to make a chevron border. I will probably add a small outer border on top of that because I love flanged binding and I don't want to cut off any points.

I also think that after putting all of this work into piecing the top, I may send it off and have it longarmed. I think it may be too large for me to stuff through the throat on my machine, and I'm not sure my quilting skills are up to doing what I want anyway.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:52 PM

This is where I am with mine. Not going on point. Outer borders needed.
Attached Thumbnails 63d30c29-f457-440b-b289-c07bb6f3f23c.jpeg  
Old 02-26-2020, 05:06 PM

Iceblossom: Cute outfits!

quiltsRfun: Very pretty.