Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery >

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Old 11-16-2019, 06:35 AM

JeanieG, I love the selection from your stash for this projects. Others are looking great also. Now that I have to paint samples I can choose some from my stash, maybe. Looking forward to the 29th and getting the first clue.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:38 AM

So much fun and happiness with the fabric selections! Ilovetoquilt, I love that paisley! Feathers, I'm always one for a wild and crazy back -- I have no idea what I'll use for the back of mine yet. Colorado, I'm afraid your aqua and light blue are a bit too close, but I'm facing the same sort of issues as I finalize my fabric selections. Kudos for Texas_Sue posting her first pictures!

I'm up early as I usually am, I have at least two batches of mediums for the vinegar/salt bath today that I didn't get done yesterday. We went to Costco and I got two big jugs of vinegar so I'll be able to continue fixing this bag. I'm using "fixing" as a dying term, fixatives and mordants and things like that, not that I'm fixing the problems left by the dyer but there is some of that involved too.

Hubby is trying to sleep in at the other end of the house but will be getting up for the Michigan/Michigan State game.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:30 AM

ColoradoQ, I'm so glad you will be joining us for the fun. I think reds are the most difficult to photograph, and yours is looking quite orange on my monitor. I'm thinking a red with more purple tones would look better with your greens; or, sticking with this red, would you have any different greens you could try? Bonnie's purple/red and yellow/green are opposite from each other on the color wheel, and I think that's what gives her palette its pop.

edit

I'm actually looking forward to cutting this year, since I got my Martelli strip ruler, which makes cutting much faster and eliminates the worry of ruler slippage.

Last edited by joe'smom; 11-16-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
JeanieG, I love the selection from your stash for this projects. Others are looking great also. Now that I have to paint samples I can choose some from my stash, maybe. Looking forward to the 29th and getting the first clue.

QNS - I am so glad you are going to join us this year! You have talked about it for several years! We will all have so much fun. I look forward to this project every year. It is the only large quilt I have done for the past several years.

Since I quilt all my quilts myself on my Brother PQ1500S, it takes a while to quilt a large quilt, and I have quite a backlog that need quilting.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:26 PM

Thanks to all for your help. I could tell that my aquas and light blues were too close, I'm glad you agree. I decided to change the blue to purple. I am determined to shop from my stash, I don't know why after 23 years of quilting I don't have more dark blue but I don't. Since I retired last year I have really cut down on the amount of fabric that I purchase and I have used a lot of my stash. I still want to use a lot more before I start shopping again.

I think the purple will look good with the green and aqua. I may use yellow instead of the pink. I can't wait to get started and to see all your beautiful quilts.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

Love seeing the fabrics that are being chosen, so exciting. Feather-n-Fur your backing is so perfect. Looking forward to beginning and seeing posts of everyone's progress.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:55 PM

Default Picks from my stash

I've decided that I also needed to use from the stash rather than buy new. Here is what I have so far, but I'm open to any and all suggestions on what to keep or remove. My light blues and aqua's also look pretty close or some of the aqua not light enough compared to the lt. blue. This is always the hardest part for me....getting the values right.
Attached Thumbnails 2019-mystery-quilt-color-samples-007.jpg   2019-mystery-quilt-color-samples-008.jpg  
Old 11-17-2019, 11:55 AM

Carol, I think it is only that one medium blue that is too light. Otherwise your values look great, except for the neutrals reading about the same as the aquas. Bonnie said that the darkest neutral should be lighter than the lightest aqua (which makes me wonder if they'll be side by side).
Old 11-17-2019, 12:17 PM

Thank you Lisa - I agree that the neutrals may be too dark and actually since looking at all of them again, it just doesn't seem like anything "Pops". I won't be able to start this mystery until January so I may go back to my original plan and buy yardage rather than going scrappy.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Carol in WI View Post
Thank you Lisa - I agree that the neutrals may be too dark and actually since looking at all of them again, it just doesn't seem like anything "Pops". I won't be able to start this mystery until January so I may go back to my original plan and buy yardage rather than going scrappy.
I agree with Lisa but if you are not starting until Jan you have time to let it percolate.