Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery >

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Old 11-17-2019, 07:34 PM

I love your color choices. I especially like the periwinkle blues and that hot pink. Oh and the navy! and the light aqua. Well guess that just about everything! Your choices have wonderful contrasts and clear yummy feel too.

I've been considering tweaking the colors, but your rendition of it has totally inspired me!

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
I don't know why I didn't think to check here in the challenges section for this year's mystery. This group always has great info and suggestions.

My first big quilt was a BH mystery, Carolina Christmas. Have made many since; I usually switch the colors out, based on what I have, what I like, and not wanting a quilt so similar to so many others. This year, though, I'm going pretty closely to BH's suggestions. Kind of, lol.

I did get the paint chips, and love them all except the framboise. That I am switching to a more cherry color. And my dark blues are the color of the chip, but seem way too dark for blue bonnets?

The day of first clue we will not be home. Arrive home Sunday, I think, so will sew like the wind to get that clue done before the next. Then home for 2 clues and gone for the next 3 (including reveal)! Airline I am traveling on has generous bag allowance, and could take a small machine as carry on, but will be in a 2 br condo w/ DD and her family. Am I really going to be sewing when there is an almost 4-year old and an 18 mo old? Decisions, decisions. Someday, I will be home for most of the mystery!

My fabrics (have not yet pulled neutrals, but that is not a problem).
Old 11-17-2019, 07:38 PM

Any one else considering a Christmas colored quilt? I just picked up some awesome red fabric with snowflakes on it and thought perhaps that could be the 'fuschia'. Then perhaps greens instead of blues and a gold for her green.

I've also considered substituting a rusty orange for the fuschia. To make a navy, dusty blue, orange, warm green quilt.

I'm hoping to make it to the fabric store tomorrow and see if anything speaks to me!
Old 11-18-2019, 05:30 AM

kristijoy I'm looking forward to seeing your color choices. I'll bet it will make a gorgeous Christmas Quilt! What a wonderful idea. I'm such a follower. If someone says blue, I run off and find my blue. Sometimes I don't think I own an original thought, but I sure do like (mostly) the way the quilts come out! I hope everyone gets to have a little quilting time today. Susan in Texas
Old 11-18-2019, 06:20 PM

Apologies if this has been covered.�� I've never done a mystery because I haven't wanted to spend time and fabric when I don't know the outcome but these colors! I've seen people say they're making a throw or a table runner but how do you know how many HSTs or 4 patches or whatever to make? Wait until all the clues are given? TIA

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-19-2019 at 03:53 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 11-18-2019, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by emcay View Post
Apologies if this has been covered.�� I've never done a mystery because I haven't wanted to spend time and fabric when I don't know the outcome but these colors! I've seen people say they're making a throw or a table runner but how do you know how many HSTs or 4 patches or whatever to make? Wait until all the clues are given? TIA
Make 1/2 or 1/4 the number of units. You can make more at the end if needed when you decide on your layout.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-19-2019 at 03:53 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:43 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]619878[/ATTACH]I think I've got plenty of teals but low on raspberry.
Attached Thumbnails 20191118_194433_resized.jpg  

Last edited by Battle Axe; 11-18-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by emcay View Post
Somewhere, I read that Bonnie suggests making 12 of each unit. That should be enough to make a block or two and then you add the missing pieces later to make the number of blocks you want. I am going to do this.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

I need to post a pic of my fabrics. I'll try to do it today.
I was surprised how few in the raspberry family I found. It's a lovely color. I'm using some more in the burgundy/reddish family. I want to make the whole thing from my stash.
As much as I love red I don't use it a lot because I'm always worried about bleeding. That must be why I'm low on those colors.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:17 AM

Well the car is still going to be in the shop for a couple more days and I am going to finish up with these hand-dyed fabrics. Just prewashed the few yellow-pink toned pieces and will be dunking them before I go to my Tuesday small group. Fortunately for me, my group is very close to my house, it's a bit over half a mile on a flat residential street and I'm just bringing a donation quilt for hand binding to work on.

When I get home I'll start on the yellows I need to make, also will be finishing up the parakeet light greens with some yellow highlights and over dyes.

When I was looking at things, I found a technique I never used before -- shaving cream! I'll have hubby take me to the dollar store when he gets home.
https://www.ritdye.com/2019/02/01/marbled-tea-towels/
Old 11-19-2019, 07:27 AM

Love your colors Battle Ax.

Iceblossom, I always wanted to dye fabric, but never had the nerve to try it. I have talked to a lady who displayed her dye work at conventions and was on her mailing list for a long while. Just never had confidence in trying it. Good luck to you on your dye work and I am anxious to see the results.