Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery >

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Old 11-28-2019, 03:46 PM

I ironed and started my fabric this afternoon! I'm all ready! And my new Janome is a ! Oh my gosh, I am in love.

Now to finish one more top! I have it webbed, now just need to sew the rows. I'm so thankfully for Bonnie teaching me this method to putting together a top!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-28-2019 at 04:06 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 11-28-2019, 04:40 PM

Jmoore: Congratulations on the new grandbaby.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by audsgirl View Post
Wildyard, your fabrics look terrific! Glad you are joining us. I think you will enjoy it. Did you have as much trouble as I did finding light aqua fabrics? That one really stumped me. I hope to get a photo posted of my selections before Friday. I have trouble figuring out how to transfer from my phone to my computer. It seems I always need help when that comes up.

Leslie

Don't know if this is the correct way or the best way, Audsgirl, but what I do is email the photo to myself. Open on my computer, resize to make it acceptable for the QB and upload and Ta-Da we will be able to see your fabric selections.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by audsgirl View Post
Wildyard, your fabrics look terrific! Glad you are joining us. I think you will enjoy it. Did you have as much trouble as I did finding light aqua fabrics? That one really stumped me. I hope to get a photo posted of my selections before Friday. I have trouble figuring out how to transfer from my phone to my computer. It seems I always need help when that comes up.

Leslie
I am excited to join in! I can't start till Sunday as I have company till then, but I will look in tomorrow just to read the clue.
I am lucky to now have a great stash of scraps due to the generosity of some board members and other quilters who are so supportive of my mission in making comfort quilts. I had all these fabrics in my scrap drawers, which I keep sorted by color. I also am trying to sort my strings by color, but that is much harder to keep up with. LOL
Old 11-28-2019, 07:46 PM

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:13 AM

https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2019...ry-part-1.html

easy peasey, as most first clues are. This is where you fine tune your seams for that perfect finished size.

One of the things I learned from Bonnie the first year, a why didn't I recognize this idea before, was
run the sets through the machine all oriented the same direction. Then if twirling seams are involved or not, the seams always nest nicely. and the under seams are down so they don't get flipped by the feed dogs. A simple basic I 'should' have recognized in 1970.

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 11-29-2019 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:41 AM

I note that last edit was at 4:19 am I'm not up for the mystery particularly, as an insomniac I consider it a successful night of sleep if I make it to 3 AM! We are actually going shopping today, probably the first time in 25-30 years! My laptop has died, dishwasher on last leg, my sewing lamp is in the garbage bin, and I need a towel rack. I can do this! But not till 9 AM, it won't be me you'll be reading about crushed against the doors somewhere

Now I'm going upstairs to actually pick fabric.
For our member who wondered how to keep the fabrics straight, I make a cheat sheet by
stapling the paint chips to a sheet of paper (or use color crayons etc)
then I cut a swatch from the colors I'm actually using and tape that to the color chip.
That helps avoid the confusion my broken brain may get up to
Old 11-29-2019, 04:49 AM

Ok! I'm up in the middle of the night because of my sleep issues but am about to go back to bed, so won't be starting this for hours yet.

With this first hint/step, it would be a good way for me to practice pressing to the sides, she gives such nice instructions, pictures and details but I'm going to keep with my smaller stitch and pressing seams open. One of the reasons I really like sew alongs instead of exchanges.

Also very happy that I will be able to use my favorite of the hand dyes that was proving problematic. It wasn't quite one color group or another, it was just exactly in-between and now it's going in.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:05 AM

Thank you Kalama. I went to her website and didn't see it posted, so am grateful there are early birds on this forum to help us along. It's nice to start with an easy step and not too many units to be assembled this first week.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:19 AM

Question. I just bought yardage. So do I need to make sure the light blue is in the top left and the dark blue is bottom right.or can I mix them all up?
Thank you
Kathryn