Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery >

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Old 01-11-2020, 07:18 AM

I'm caught up except for last clue - except that I screwed up six and either have to cut more, or rip a bunch of flying geese. I think if I have the fabric, I'll just do more - faster in the long run for me.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:43 AM

I agree with Iceblossom, clue 8 is quick and if you are not there yet don't worry. Just make sure to save the clues or you will be buying the pattern from Bonnie to finish.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:05 AM

AlvaStitcher, I'm glad you found your mistake. At least they are short seams!

You mentioned that you had all but a few geese made, and also that you have 38 geese to undo. Just in case you had the wrong total, I wanted to point out that the total number of geese to make is the number of sets times the number in the sets.

Iceblossom, looking beautiful!
Old 01-11-2020, 08:56 AM

Speaking of buying clues, the website still says we have until Feb 2 for the free directions. I'm expecting one more clue (containing neutrals) and then the final layout clue. But what do I know? Besides, I still lack the vision to see how these scraps of fabric will work together. Even if it is what I think, it's going to be a mystery to me until I lay it out.

I spent some time looking today, but I swear back around week 3 there was a picture of her and a quilt in the background that I felt was pretty darn close to what we are making now but in some different colors. Couldn't find it to save my life, so maybe somewhere more in the general site stuff. But it was fun to go back and carefully look at her clue links and how little she gives away that way. The clues are all very narrowly focused pictures.

One thing about Bonnie, she does give very clear and useful instructions. I'm pretty convinced that if I have an opening in my schedule next year, I'll do it the pressed to the side way. But not with hand dyes! Tell you what though, safety pinning the stacks right side up is going to help in more than one project. Was thinking about it this morning, have a friend who loves sparkly fabrics and once again had problems determining what side was what... her solution at that time was for me to not let her buy them if I was with her. I think safety pins might be the better answer!
Old 01-11-2020, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

I'm not good at planning things, nor am I good at guessing so I have absolutely no idea how this is going to turn out but I'm excited.
I'm strictly a pattern sewer. I would not be able to design a quilt to save my life I don't think. (Maybe a 4 patch lol) But I have plenty of things that keep me interested in our wonderful craft.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:06 AM

Please don't anyone feel bad about being behind! I've been sidetracked with a bunch of stuff the past couple weeks. Life happens to us all and it's ok. I do appreciate the slower pace this year and I'd love it if she keeps that change for future mysteries. I've got a handful of blue and green geese still to finish, and all the sewing from clues 7 and 8. I'm looking forward to catching up (at least somewhat!) maybe this evening and tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:08 AM

OK, a quick question before I cut my clue7 strips. In other clues for our sets, we have used reds and blues. Now that we are pairing up reds and blues, are we trying to keep the sets matching so I should pair the same reds and blues used before in the red/neutral HSTs and the blue/neutral HSTs or do we use different reds and blues for clue 7?
Old 01-11-2020, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

Linda, good question.
I was under the impression that we can use any blues and reds we have.
Maybe someone else has the definitive answer.
Thanks for bringing it up.
Hope you're feeling better!
Old 01-11-2020, 02:24 PM

As I'm working on clue 4, I've decided to also combine it with clue 6, sort of killing two birds with one stone. After I get a few more flying geese done I'll take pictures.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Speaking of buying clues, the website still says we have until Feb 2 for the free directions. I'm expecting one more clue (containing neutrals) and then the final layout clue. But what do I know? Besides, I still lack the vision to see how these scraps of fabric will work together. Even if it is what I think, it's going to be a mystery to me until I lay it out.
She extended the time the free clues will be available until Feb. 15th. But if you download them as they come out, you'll always have them.