Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery >

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Old 01-11-2020, 02:58 PM
  #951  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hartford, Mo
Posts: 5,731
Default

I had high hopes for today and getting some sewing done. Not so. Last night and this morning had power going off and on and off again and a ten this morning it remained off until 3:50 thies afternoon. In an all electric house, that's getting chilly to say the least. Poor, cold linemen stayed on the job until they solves all the problems. Its still blinking at me, making me nervous. Fingers crossed, hoping it will stay on. Sewing tomorrow hopefully.
QuiltingNinaSue is offline  
Old 01-11-2020, 03:32 PM
  #952  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,418
Default

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
OK, a quick question before I cut my clue7 strips. In other clues for our sets, we have used reds and blues. Now that we are pairing up reds and blues, are we trying to keep the sets matching so I should pair the same reds and blues used before in the red/neutral HSTs and the blue/neutral HSTs or do we use different reds and blues for clue 7?
Although there were some I could have matched one of the fabrics in the sets, many of my sets have been made with the last bit of fabric. I decided to make sure that nothing matched, rather to get down to the end and be unable and very noticeable.

So in my personal understanding and making of scrap quilts,, I go with as many as possible variations. Other people do other things. I rarely have more than 4 of any given piece of fabric in a quilt and I'm happiest with charms, where every piece is different. But here's the thing, as I curate my fabrics different pieces of fabric should be able to switch in for any other fabric or I just didn't choose well. With my fabrics maybe I wouldn't be watching them so closely if they didn't shift so much and if I just had more in true blue to start with, as it is I'm dealing more with a range of value than shades/tones of a particular color. After the first set, each time I deliberately put in one piece of fabric that was darker and one that was lighter than my desired range just because it was going to happen anyway and to push the project and myself a bit.

These are some of the scrap tops I've pieced (and mostly not quilted yet) this past year. The inner me is more like this first one, over 30 purples, controlled scraps. The collector one is next, toning down the wide range of fabrics with basic solids. The last one was one of the most recent, I tell it's story here:
https://www.quiltingboard.com/8320378-post1575.html
Attached Thumbnails purple-top-done.jpg   postcard-top.jpg   nicole-finished.jpg   not-y2k.jpg   100_5318.jpg  

Iceblossom is offline  
Old 01-11-2020, 05:09 PM
  #953  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ballwin, MO
Posts: 3,237
Default

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
OK, a quick question before I cut my clue7 strips. In other clues for our sets, we have used reds and blues. Now that we are pairing up reds and blues, are we trying to keep the sets matching so I should pair the same reds and blues used before in the red/neutral HSTs and the blue/neutral HSTs or do we use different reds and blues for clue 7?
I think Bonnie would have mentioned this if it was a good idea to match. I didn't care for the look of it when I tried one with the blues from clue 4 and clue 7 matching. I went for complementary rather than matching.
joe'smom is offline  
Old 01-11-2020, 05:14 PM
  #954  
Senior Member
 
AlvaStitcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sunny Florida, USA
Posts: 959
Default

And I have not been able to match up the red/blues with the green/blues and neutral/blues. Some I could match but the majority of the 25 with be scrappy. I have 10 or 11 remade and, yes, I am glad they were short seams that needed to be ripped.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-11-2020 at 06:59 PM. Reason: count/number of pieces/blocks should not be mentioned
AlvaStitcher is offline  
Old 01-11-2020, 05:19 PM
  #955  
Super Member
 
wildyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Upstate NY, north of Syracuse Area
Posts: 6,003
Default

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I think Bonnie would have mentioned this if it was a good idea to match. I didn't care for the look of it when I tried one with the blues from clue 4 and clue 7 matching. I went for complementary rather than matching.
Thanks joe'smom.... I pretty much came to the same conclusion.
I ran into a real issue once I started cutting my clue 7 triangles tho. Seems I misjudged the length of strip needed to get a full 8 from a strip so a lot of my pinks are 1-2" too short and I'm only getting 7 triangle sets out of them. Argh!! Now I have to dig back into the reds to see if I can find pieces to make that last one. I have way more blues than reds so the blue is not an issue at all.

I have even toyed with the idea of keeping the blue the same for each set and being scrappy with the reds within each set. If I can't pull out enough to finish up the short sets matching, I just might have to do that with some of them at least.

Anyone think that would be a disaster? lol
wildyard is offline  
Old 01-11-2020, 06:09 PM
  #956  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Valley of the sun, AZ
Posts: 1,064
Default

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
Here is what I pulled from stash. The floral is 5 yards that I can use for backing, so I changed the fuschia color to the reddish-corals. My aquas are the ones in the middle - they are light but if I am careful in choosing my neutrals I think they will be ok.
Attachment 619157
wow, you have a lovely "stash"
love to sew is offline  
Old 01-11-2020, 06:33 PM
  #957  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 2,512
Default

Lovely quilt tops, IceBlossom!
Although I am not participating, I enjoy the pictures and conversations. I am keeping the clues in case I want to make it another time.
retiredteacher09 is offline  
Old 01-11-2020, 08:32 PM
  #958  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ballwin, MO
Posts: 3,237
Default

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post

I have even toyed with the idea of keeping the blue the same for each set and being scrappy with the reds within each set. If I can't pull out enough to finish up the short sets matching, I just might have to do that with some of them at least.

Anyone think that would be a disaster? lol
I don't think it would be a disaster, but I'd try to keep them as similar as possible in value.

I petered out after doing 7 sets of clue 8 geese. I had 7 aquas, so I could do that many at one time without fear of forgetting what went with what. It's so much more pleasant now that I am getting better results, and it is really fun to see how the sets are looking together
joe'smom is offline  
Old 01-11-2020, 08:47 PM
  #959  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,578
Default

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Although there were some I could have matched one of the fabrics in the sets, many of my sets have been made with the last bit of fabric. I decided to make sure that nothing matched, rather to get down to the end and be unable and very noticeable.

So in my personal understanding and making of scrap quilts,, I go with as many as possible variations. Other people do other things. I rarely have more than 4 of any given piece of fabric in a quilt and I'm happiest with charms, where every piece is different. But here's the thing, as I curate my fabrics different pieces of fabric should be able to switch in for any other fabric or I just didn't choose well. With my fabrics maybe I wouldn't be watching them so closely if they didn't shift so much and if I just had more in true blue to start with, as it is I'm dealing more with a range of value than shades/tones of a particular color. After the first set, each time I deliberately put in one piece of fabric that was darker and one that was lighter than my desired range just because it was going to happen anyway and to push the project and myself a bit.

These are some of the scrap tops I've pieced (and mostly not quilted yet) this past year. The inner me is more like this first one, over 30 purples, controlled scraps. The collector one is next, toning down the wide range of fabrics with basic solids. The last one was one of the most recent, I tell it's story here:
https://www.quiltingboard.com/8320378-post1575.html
I'm with you, Iceblossom. I like to go with as many variations as I can. And at that, I still have a hard time being random. I always manage to get the same fabric next to itself.
Your scrap quilts or tops are really terrific. Most of my tops haven't made to the finish line. I guess I'm more of a topper than a quilter.

Leslie
audsgirl is offline  
Old 01-12-2020, 03:45 AM
  #960  
Super Member
 
Sandra-P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Mexico /Naples, Florida
Posts: 1,533
Default

I am in the same boat with some in that I dont have enough of some of the pinwheel blues to match up with the set it goes with. It is going to have to be ok, like someone said just match the values of blues. I am thinking of past quilts with Bonnie and it didnt matter but this one seems to be more focused on sets than the ones in the past. I have not played around with seeing how any of these units go together. My brain just cant imagine so I will no doubt be totally blown away when the reveal happens. My guess is she will give the last clue and the reveal at the same time. Lots of neutrals left!
Sandra-P is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Rhonda
Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
220
03-21-2020 11:54 PM
barbarakibler23
Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
1789
02-28-2020 09:08 PM
Jazz
Main
1
11-29-2019 03:15 PM
butterflywing
Links and Resources
8
11-16-2009 09:40 PM
BellaBoo
Main
3
09-19-2009 09:43 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.