2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 04-06-2020, 05:58 PM

So I didn't fall off the wagon after all. I got an email from Joanns saying my order was cancelled. I called them yesterday & they were way behind in filling "pick up in store" orders, getting 400+ just yesterday. So I think an earlier order than mine captured the jelly rolls I thought I was buying. So... still no fabric.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:40 PM

Rob: I’m in the same place as you are with being overwhelmed with choices for patterns and, for me, fabric choices too. I know my younger son (37) wished he knew how to sew so he could design some masks. I told him I had a machine and fabric he could use because learning to use the machine would be easy for him. Making the pattern probably wouldn’t be easy. He hasn’t asked me for my machine yet, however.

Krisb: Good video. I wished there was a translation button.

Conchalea: That’s a lot of orders. I’m sorry you didn’t get the fabric you wanted.

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 04-06-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:00 AM

No pictures today, just the comment that the extra row is using up any extra fabric I had nicely and really was my best option for getting this to a finished size. After some thought and consideration of the fabric I had left, I did cut a consistent piece of Minion background for the centers of the Candy Kiss Unit, each row across the quilt will have 1 each of the 5 different centers.

I had about 8" WoF of the Minion fabric left and needed (6) 4" square repeats and a couple of triangles -- I had gotten most of the triangles left from the "Swiss Cheese" left from the previous fussy cuts. Unfortunately, the fabric was designed with only 5 repeats per strip (and only 3 good Minion motifs at that, which is why I previously got out the Submarine piece)! I had a scrap left that gave me "close enough to the same" for the 6th square and chopped the remaining piece to bits.

I have a piece roughly 6.5 x 10.5" left from the grey fabric for my strip box, that yardage was small to begin with and I knew I didn't have many options left with it, otherwise used entirely up. I'll have less than half an 8.5" wof of the yellow and a 2-3" trim for my crumb quilter. About to go cut the black triangles, figure as I try to avoid the yellow flowers I'll just have some yellow crumb trimmings left from that... Anyway, basically zero fabric left over, all from stash and that's really the point.

I have the fabrics washed for the Horse with No Name/Simplish project. I've been looking at selvedges more lately because I've started trimming them off to send to people. It was interesting to me, the desert background fabric has huge (like 1" wide) thick woven selvedges (just the sort you do especially want to cut off), but the printing goes edge to edge with no maker information. The horse fabrics have the usual variations from the inch-wide white with advertising to my personal favorites -- the ones that feel nice and are printed to the edges.

I've typically kept my selvedges on and sometimes will write a note with a sharpie like the date or price or something pertinent like rough size (you cut off from the end you put the size on...). Now I'm cutting off the one long printed info edge to send away and still keeping the other side intact as I slice my rows off.

Old 04-07-2020, 04:35 PM

Well all, I hit the jackpot today. I was put in contact with a fashion design student from my university department. (Yes, many of them look like Elle Woods from Legally Blond.) I e-mailed the student, she called me back and this afternoon I gave her a 55 gallon tote about 3/4 full of fabric for masks. She has used up most of her stash. (Poor dear!) She and two other fashion design students have made 200 plus masks and who knows how many more they can make with my donation. They got batiks, civil war prints, scraps from wide backs, fat quarters, odd pieces from layer cakes and a few cuts of yardage that I just know I would not use. The masks they have made to date were given to local hospitals, nursing homes and veterinary clinics.

I have been blessed with so much fabric and boy, oh, boy does it feel good to be able to pass on my abundance to some enthusiastic students who are using their skills to help the community we live in.
Attached Thumbnails donations-masks-resized.jpg  
Old 04-07-2020, 06:20 PM

That's a cool story, WMUteach. I love to hear stuff like this. This experience will stay with them for the rest of their lives. And, so super neat that you are contributing to their commitment. Win win...
Old 04-07-2020, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Well all, I hit the jackpot today. I was put in contact with a fashion design student from my university department. (Yes, many of them look like Elle Woods from Legally Blond.) I e-mailed the student, she called me back and this afternoon I gave her a 55 gallon tote about 3/4 full of fabric for masks. She has used up most of her stash. (Poor dear!) She and two other fashion design students have made 200 plus masks and who knows how many more they can make with my donation. They got batiks, civil war prints, scraps from wide backs, fat quarters, odd pieces from layer cakes and a few cuts of yardage that I just know I would not use. The masks they have made to date were given to local hospitals, nursing homes and veterinary clinics.

I have been blessed with so much fabric and boy, oh, boy does it feel good to be able to pass on my abundance to some enthusiastic students who are using their skills to help the community we live in.
that is just delightful to hear
Old 04-08-2020, 03:57 AM

Great story WMUteach!
Old 04-08-2020, 06:51 AM

Great story WMU! I actually checked my Craig's List wanted section yesterday to see if any one was looking for face mask fabrics. No one looking there, but I know many of my fellow quilters are out there sewing away supporting hospitals, meal and other delivery workers, food banks, vets and various others organizations that have put out calls for help. Earlier this year before the outbreak I sent Osewme a box of scraps suitable for children's mask for her on-going project.

When I went through my first purge of my fabric, textile students got most of the non-quilting stuff all the wools and rayons and pieces of non-cotton yardage, a cosplayer got a bunch of the fancy/costuming stuff (silks and satins and shiny stuff) and was also super excited for the collection of cheater cloth type fabrics I had, it was her entrance into quilting to put that together.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:13 AM

WMUTeach, that's wonderful! (Trying to imagine what a 55 gallon tote looks like, lol.)
Old 04-08-2020, 07:46 AM

I donated two large bags of bags of fabric yesterday to a friend of my daughter's who ran out of fabric and is turning out quick masks. She will make good use of it. My problem was she requested solids and small prints, which I don't have a lot of. I told my daughter to let me know when she wants something more exciting. Porch pick up - my oldest daughters have me on lockdown.
I don't like patterns with pleats open to the top to catch and store droplets. My first one was like that - a nurse sent me the pattern.
The pattern I'm using the most was developed by local (almost) nurses with a quilt shop in Interlochen, MI. Interquilten. It's not as speedy as some, but it has the opening away from the center and is a decent size. With the wire, it fits well. I've gone to a casing for the ties on the sides instead of the binding. When I had mine, it felt like it pulled up more for a even better fit. I gave mine away, so I'm back on my own list. I need to do another drop off today.
https://media.rainpos.com/2483/mask_...nd_ties_iq.pdf

Last edited by Irishrose2; 04-08-2020 at 07:53 AM.