2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 04-08-2020, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

Kudos to the fabric give aways...what's great about this is the fabric will be used and not end up in some one else's stash...win win.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:51 AM

I replied to an ad on Craig's List today from a vet tech looking to buy a cheap sewing machine to make masks for her location and other pet response people. I let her know that I was willing to loan her one of my machines (the 301) and even give her fabric to use. Haven't heard back yet, but also let her know she could buy one of those cheap low end Brothers from Walmart for what she was willing to spend (and I was still willing to give fabric).

I have the Minions top laid out and the computer grabbed me while I was grabbing a piece of paper to make the block labels.

Looks like I'm going to have to modify my Simplish/Horse with No Name project -- I really could have used 2 yards of the desert fabric and only have about a badly cut yard and a half, and that wide selvedge means it is just under 42" usable width, currently I think I'm designed at about 46" across and without more yardage that isn't going to happen. But better to know it sooner rather than later! I ran out of fabric in the Here Kitty Kitty version. Still going ahead, have cut the first 8 horse blocks and have cut the desert fabric.

Here's the Kitty version, I posted it last year along with a lot of thanks for the poster who hooked me on this concept! In many ways I deal with "collections of fabrics" instead of "scrap fabrics". Before I joined the Moratorium here, I had already banned myself from quilt shops and have missed a lot of the current trends, but I really like this simple putting together of mixed fabrics together. I had given away a collection of Angel fabrics from my swapping days because I just couldn't figure out any way to put those together (I had used individual squares here and there), then I saw this and realized that simple black sashing was the answer all along! It would have looked like stained glass, but they have passed out of my hands and into the care of another quilter.

And here's a link to the Simplish pattern -- of course, I always change things... so my blocks and dimensions aren't quite the same.
https://www.shabbyfabrics.com/Assets...orDownload.pdf
Attached Thumbnails here-kitty-final.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 04-08-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:10 PM

Great job of reducing stash by sharing,

Thanks for the pattern, Iceblossom, Pretty quilt too.

The past few days, I haven’t been very productive at my sewing machine but I have been cleaning/sorting in the area. Tomorrow I really need to try sewing a couple of different styles of masks for my younger son to try on.

Stay safe.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
Great job of reducing stash by sharing,

Thanks for the pattern, Iceblossom, Pretty quilt too.

The past few days, I haven’t been very productive at my sewing machine but I have been cleaning/sorting in the area. Tomorrow I really need to try sewing a couple of different styles of masks for my younger son to try on.

Stay safe.
Connie...I'm using the Fat Quarter shop mask pattern and they work great for kids. Pattern has 4 or 5 sizes based on age. I started with having to make ties but have since received my order of elastic from a month ago and now use that. Quick pattern once I switched from ties to elastic. I got the pattern via email but I think it's on their blog. If not, I can make scan and email to you..
Old 04-08-2020, 07:01 PM

I will check that out and let you know if I can’t find it, Teen. Thanks. My son works in an essential job and has been trying to figure out some mask solutions.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:22 AM

It looks as if I have also joined the wagon of using up stash to make face masks. However, the limited supply of gum (for ears) turned out to be the problem. It looks as if the craft shops in Poland are sold out of this particular commodity. I have placed an order that will be delivered hopefully on Tuesday. In the meantime, I will be sewing masks with straps to tie behind the ears. Or maybe there is a more creative solution to the problem that you know of?
Old 04-09-2020, 07:18 AM

I laid out the Minion top so that each across row has 1 each of the 5 motifs, and each down row has one repeat block. I was also looking at those big recognizable bird figures in the black floral, didn't want them touching beak.

It took me basically every inch of the fabric I had -- 2 yards each "large" florals, 1 yard each, grey, black, and Minons to get this 70x84" top. If I had one yard extra of each of them I could have done other things like add one more row across and bottom, or a border around all four sides.

I have one more variation on this in me I think -- but probably not for a year or so. Last year I did the Scrap Metal project using QST of all metallic embellished fabrics. I can see this concept done in those same scrap metals. That center "goose unit" would be scaled down smaller (Cherry Goose was 4", Minions was 5", Oasis as designed was 6") to 3" for the goose/6 inch for the blocks. Done I think as alternating squares of QST and Goose Units. That means I'm likely to have a K9 designation so time for one of my jokes and I will make sure I have a dog (canine) fabric for that block position.

I did cut the Horse with No Name project yesterday. It will definitely be a lap/crib size instead of the twin I had hoped for. Just don't have the fabric.
Attached Thumbnails 100_5651.jpg   candy-kiss-block.jpg  
Old 04-09-2020, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
It looks as if I have also joined the wagon of using up stash to make face masks. However, the limited supply of gum (for ears) turned out to be the problem. It looks as if the craft shops in Poland are sold out of this particular commodity. I have placed an order that will be delivered hopefully on Tuesday. In the meantime, I will be sewing masks with straps to tie behind the ears. Or maybe there is a more creative solution to the problem that you know of?
Soft T shirt or tights cut 1 1/2" wide and pulled to roll it. Works like a charm. My first shirt was too heavy and wouldn't roll, but the next two have a little spandex and they are rolling nicely.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:52 PM

Iceblossom: Very pretty.

Irishrose2: I have a t shirt that I’m thinking of using for ties too as the mask I made is too loose for me. Good to know width to cut it. Maybe tomorrow’s project.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:57 AM

Thanks for the t-shirt hint. I will try it out. In the meantime, I got a hint to use hair elastic/gums/whatever they are called in English. I have trouble attaching an image from mobile, but I assure you they turned out ok.