UFO Challenge for 2021

Old 03-04-2021, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

I finally got around to taking a picture of my January UFO finish. (conchalea it's already been counted)
How it started: In 2010, I participated in a 1.5" charm swap here on the board and decided to make 9P's. I had quite a few made up and played with fabrics to use as setting squares. For some reason I liked green. Then it sat.

And then: I played with layouts in EQ and came upon a concentric placement of dark and light blocks. Not enough of any one green. Then it sat.

1.5" Mini swap--photos added 3-16-11

And then: Sometime in 2019 I decided to put this together. I still had the green fabrics. I used the lightest in the center, theh the next shade with the darkest as setting triangles plus first border. I generally don't use lighter colored fabrics in outer borders, but this gold based fabric seems to work especially with the green binding. Now how to quilt it; then it sat.

And finally: I decided on a pantograph and got quilting. This pantograph double backed on me a couple of times and think it was my laser point that was a tad loose and changed it's trajectory. So had some frog stitching on it. It's been on my sofa since January. At 75 x 75 a cozy quilt to snuggle in!
Attached Thumbnails 20210304_092014.jpg  

Last edited by oksewglad; 03-04-2021 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:07 PM

oksewglad, what a wonderful quilt! I love the effect of the scrappiness in the 9-ps.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:50 PM

Loved the quilt and the quilt story, Oksewglad. Congratulations on getting it done!
Old 03-04-2021, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Conchalea View Post
Rats. I thought I saw 2 separate posts where you talked about a finish. *sigh* I'll revise my count. *sad face*
You likely did but they were for the same quilt. I just thought I would do it correctly and send you a PM but it was for the same quilt. Only one!
Old 03-04-2021, 06:58 PM

petthefabric: Sounds like a wonderful day-time with your sister, beautiful sights, and a top and backing for a great cause.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:29 PM

I'm trying to catch up, here.

In January, I finally did the quilting and binding on three tops my sister in law gave me about 8 years ago. I forgot to take pictures and I really should have. Those things have been nagging me for so long and I finally dragged them out and put them at the head of the line for UFO finishing.

In February, I got three finished.

"Anita's Arrowhead" - albeit only in tablerunner size - I am glad that I didn't start making a bed sized quilt without trying a few blocks first. I don't get along well with all those bias edges.

I also finished a king-sized 1800s repro print quilt of stars and nine-patches - I finished quilting the center years ago - it was just waiting on the borders and binding. It may remain over the edge of my balcony, because hubs loves this quilt more than anything I've ever made before.

And I made a quilt I'd had in EQ and charm squares for ten years - a disappearing 9-patch. I fused hearts of the country red fabric between the backing and the batting and that came out pretty. I don't know if my sister has found them, yet.

I'm hoping to have a few done in March, too. Let's see what happens!
Attached Thumbnails civil-war-9-patch-star-small.png   barbys-quilt-arrived.jpg   anitas-arrowhead.png  
Old 03-06-2021, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

thepolyparrot, three great finishes; I'm partial to the 1st one though. Lovely quilting on the tablerunner.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

Count 4 UFO's for me. They are all small sized quilts from my church sewing circle that were tied last month. I trimmed edges, cut and sewed bindings on.

retired teacher, I guess I'm on the finish end of our group whereas you are at the starting point! We meet this Monday afternoon.

Last edited by oksewglad; 03-06-2021 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:36 PM

Great finishes thepolyparrot!

Oksewglad, congratulations on finishing all three.

Rob
Old 03-06-2021, 04:24 PM

Awesome finishes Oksewglad and thepolyparrot.

I have made progress of the green and black lap quilt. Currently using my new walking foot, (This is wonderful!!!) Amazing how when you get the correct foot for your machine it works so much better. I only have 3 more squares to quilt then the binding! If DH plays in the wood shop tomorrow I should be finished with the quilting tomorrow.