Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 11-11-2021, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by kck83 View Post
My question is how to label a quilt that has been "changed" in color scheme? What are your suggestions? Something like "Based on a Bonnie K. Hunter design"? I usually come up with a new name for a quilt as I'm working on my version. But I want to give due recognition to the designer.
That's exsctly what I did last year. Grassy Creek became "Vermont Spring, based on a Bonnie K. Hunter design."
Old 11-11-2021, 07:31 AM

So this is how I'm keeping busy... I've done this sort of binding before (more than once even) and although it's a lot of sewing, it is long and easy seams -- at least to start!

At Tuesday group I pinned together random sets of "2-fers", both of the rectangles that will be stacked and the binding strips. Those got sewn together and turned into foursomes. The binding strips I decided to cut at 2.5" mostly because I have a ruler that size and it shows what it would look like if you used jellyroll scraps. The stacked bricks are random sizes because the circles are random sizes, there are 2 yellows in the stack but none in the binding. The part of me that says you need 3 yards, 108 inches so that is exactly (18) 6.5" rectangles is protesting, but the part of me that had narrow pieces that needed using up is happy enough even if I have to cut a few more pieces today. You can see that the strips were not all WoF, today I'll be taking the long left overs and combining them into sets.

edit: I typically cut my bindings wider than most, usually 3". For this I'm cutting at 3.5 and will probably have a 1/2" seam... so they are wide.
Attached Thumbnails 100_6223.jpg   100_6224.jpg   100_6225.jpg   100_6227.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 11-11-2021 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by origamigoldfish View Post
I challenged myself to order the fabric for this year out of the sale section at hancock's, and was very proud of myself for getting so much fabric for a good (to me), price. My box came today, and when I opened it I discovered I needed to make a few changes. I did not have enough contrast between my pinks and my garnets (all of my light pinks were shorted), one of my garnets was red, my solid metallic aqua stuck out like a sore thumb, and my neutrals were too matchy to thrill me. I always worry about ordering fabric online without being able to see the colors in front of me, they never quite photograph true.
Origamigoldfish, I buy fabric exclusively on line, and I always end up with fabrics I would not have purchased if I'd seen them in person. Happily, fabric that isn't right for one project may be just the thing for a project down the road. Your choices look excellent!
Old 11-11-2021, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

Iceblossom- I've been making a lot of pieced bindings lately and love what they add to a quilt. I especially like using fabric I'm not wild about. When it's all said and done they look great.
I haven't tried your method though.
Old 11-11-2021, 02:48 PM

For those who do not like string piecing, you don't have to. Many have very successfully just put a single piece of that color where the string block was supposed to go. There were several GC's I saw that did not have the string pieced gray units.

More often than not, I change out Bonnie's colors. Either bc of what I have or what I like (or not). Bright yellow just isn't me. Grand Illusion used bright pink and yellow, and it is one that I didn't change colors on. The blocks are together, the sashing is made, some of the rows are sewn... Will I ever finish it? I honestly don't know; I do not like it.

My palms are already itchy over using yardage for the fabrics, other than neutrals, this year. It's way outside of my comfort zone, lol. I will be away from home for the next 2 months and just do not want to take the scads and scads of fabrics I normally use. I WILL be taking Frolic and hope to finish it with a straight setting. Lots and lots of sewing time, very little cooking time! Doesn't that sound wonderful?
Old 11-11-2021, 02:55 PM

PeaceandJoy, Yes! It does sound wonderful! I am with you on the yellow, my sunflower fabric will have to do and I also do not string piece and will use a single block the same size to substitute. In my stash are quilt blocks that I dont care for and therefor are not finished, in fact I think last years Frolic is in there lol.
Old 11-11-2021, 05:16 PM

"More often than not, I change out Bonnie's colors. Either bc of what I have or what I like (or not). Bright yellow just isn't me. Grand Illusion used bright pink and yellow, and it is one that I didn't change colors on. The blocks are together, the sashing is made, some of the rows are sewn... Will I ever finish it? I honestly don't know; I do not like it." "PeaceandJoy"

I wasn't very fond of the bright colors of Grand Illusion, but I finished, quilted it, put in the attic...then. Snow hit and cold and dark cloudy days. Well, I went up and got Grand Illusion and put it on my bed. Well, it was like instant sunshine in January!!! Now I call it my January quilt! Funny how I went from not really liking it to loving it! Now it is one of my favorites. I did use scrappy throughout all the colors and I love to look at those little pieces and see all the different fabrics in it I also notice that some of my points are actually pointed!
Old 11-12-2021, 04:12 AM

I love seeing the pictures and discussions!

I feel that I try to use too many of my small pieces (the 10" squares and such) at that maybe about 4-6 colors of each set is about right for me instead of 12-20... but my goal is to use up those little bits. Maybe eventually I will have more large pieces and can think about a one fabric each, but for now, I'm trying to use up fabric.

Origami, I went to the post office this week and mailed an actual envelope -- I have a set of Forever stamps with pets on it and the next stamp up is a goldfish -- so I thought of you, and then you posted your lovely selections.

Stitches, if I see what you are seeing I think you will have a lovely field of Bachelor's Buttons/Cornflowers
Old 11-12-2021, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I love seeing the pictures and discussions!

Stitches, if I see what you are seeing I think you will have a lovely field of Bachelor's Buttons/Cornflowers
I think you are right! I had to look up those Bachelor's Buttons as I had not heard of them but they are a pretty flower. I had originally planned on using these fabrics for another quilt project (some kind of Celtic knot quilt) but this one (Bonnie's mystery) just seemed like a better option.
Old 11-13-2021, 08:56 AM

I've gotten my back pieced, for now there is a picture over in the VQW thread here:
Virtual Quilting Weekend--11/12-11/14/21

I'll eventually post it over here but that will do for now. I've gotten my binding units into 4-somes and am saving the pinning of them to do at my Tuesday group. Not much of my quilting is portable... it is more of a coffee group than a work group but we do try and do something quilting related.

So that means that other than still looking for more Garnet fabrics, I'm pretty much ready for the Mystery to begin!