Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 11-30-2021, 04:34 AM

I am watching this time as we are working on purging 50 years of "stuff" for a planned move. Will work on this later. Fun to see and hear what you are all doing.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by ka9sdn View Post
I am watching this time as we are working on purging 50 years of "stuff" for a planned move. Will work on this later. Fun to see and hear what you are all doing.
We just did a cross country move and it will be our last. My sympathy is with you. I didnt realize how much "stuff" I had and it took a whole moving truck and part of another. I really need to use up the fabric I have and not buy another thing.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:40 AM

Today I am just cutting my fabric strips and pieces for part One and sew them together one day at a time.
craft
Old 12-01-2021, 03:36 AM

This is my first with Bonnie Hunter mystery. I get her emails and have several of her books now, so I’m really looking forward to creating one of her creations.
Thanks for the post!
Old 12-01-2021, 06:02 AM

So many thoughts and things to comment on -- my apologies if I miss someone!

On Tuesday I trimmed my HST at group. I'm hoping that my choices of of the polka dots helps with the starkness of that pure white or at least gives a bouncy graphic boldness. I'm loving SusieQoH's neutrals and still drooling at what Pinkflowers has!

I really like the convenience/handiness and cheap factor of Terry's suggestion. Bonnie's projects do make use of and improve my organizational skills. While I have a lot of those little clips, and I can do a clue or two, I don't have quite enough for an entire Bonnie Hunter project but enough for most of what I do for the rest of the year. But I also have big clips, clothes pins, all sorts of things many of which I get at the Dollar Store. For me, things like plates or coffee filters don't work so well, I (or my pets) always manage to drop/spill them -- but I have fresh boxes of zip lock baggies (again, from the dollar store), and I will write my count numbers on them using a sharpie. Baggies are slippery though and need to be kept in a box or something themselves.

For those that are/have moved, I'm looking at moving myself next year. This will probably be the last project I actually do here, I'd like to think I'll be able to keep stuff out/around longer, but really should be starting clean out in earnest in January.

Craft, sound like you are going at a good pace! I'm glad you are feeling well enough to join in.

Ahug58 as well as the others for whom this is their first time, welcome! I hope you have fun.

For those that haven't started yet and those who are new, this was a pretty easy/low sewing demand week. It will get more time intensive as the blocks build. But for those still on the fence or planning to start later, this clue is an easy hurdle to cross
Old 12-01-2021, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

Iceblossom- I goofed at the beginning and was using white as my neutrals, then remembered to vary them! Duh........
Old 12-01-2021, 11:30 AM

All I can say is: Don’t. Be. Me.

I thought to myself, this clue is easy. I’ve made these units a zillion times. I’ll just sew a scant seam and won’t need to test my seam allowance. I can just finish everything at the machine then head to the ironing board and cutting mat for trimming.

Sigh. That scant seam wasn’t really scant. Nothing to trim on most and some units (the shy ones, hiding under their better constructed brethren in the photo) will probably need to be re-done.
Attached Thumbnails img_1316.jpeg  
Old 12-01-2021, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
All I can say is: Don’t. Be. Me.

I thought to myself, this clue is easy. I’ve made these units a zillion times. I’ll just sew a scant seam and won’t need to test my seam allowance. I can just finish everything at the machine then head to the ironing board and cutting mat for trimming.

Sigh. That scant seam wasn’t really scant. Nothing to trim on most and some units (the shy ones, hiding under their better constructed brethren in the photo) will probably need to be re-done.
Oh no - and such pretty little things!!
Maybe if sewed to another unit the seam allowance can be fudged a bit.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:44 PM

Suzslo, I have done that in the past too. I think your hst's are very pretty! Pinkflowers, I like the way you think! I have done that as well. A little fudging never hurts.
Old 12-01-2021, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
Suzslo, I have done that in the past too. I think your hst's are very pretty! Pinkflowers, I like the way you think! I have done that as well. A little fudging never hurts.
Thanks to you and Pinkflowers: Thanks for your support. I almost didn’t post I was so mad at myself, but realized that this is the place I would get the most help (emotional and otherwise). So, for now, lesson learned: slow down and check my work.