Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 01-04-2022, 01:22 PM

Iceblossum: Thanks for the encouragement. I went back and looked at Bonnie’s On Ringo Lake again, which has those turquoise setting triangles that feels like it should overwhelm the rest of the quilt. But it does not. It is one of my favorite of her Mystery Quilts.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:46 PM

SuzSLO: Love the blocks. I agree that while the turquoise laid out the way it is in your photo looks a bit out of place, I'm guessing that it's going to be cut up into much smaller pieces, so will be fine. I'm also of the mind that the garnet needs something a bit strong to play off of, particularly with all the lights and medium/lights in this quilt. On the other hand, as this is my first real scrap quilt, I may be imagining things entirely incorrectly. We'll just have to see what comes up on Friday!

I'm almost done with this set, but still haven't solved the photo upload fail (may next time will work). Even though I am not planning on even doing half the size - closer to a third or so - this week was hard to keep up. Probably that going back to work after a week off thing.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:48 PM

Love the blocks SuzSlo! Beautiful! I have one block finished. I got so far behind during our road trip but hope to be ready by Friday. As someone already said this clue 5 seems to be labor intensive, certainly to me too. I have a feeling my quilt is really going to be a sunflower one instead of the Rhody one.
Attached Thumbnails 0104221711_resized.jpg  
Old 01-04-2022, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by platyhiker View Post
JanieW - l *love* your green hourglass blocks - the contrast with the other lighter colors is very attractive.

In one of Jinny Beyer's books, she wrote about her approach to color/fabric selection and suggested always trying to include some of a very dark fabric that reads as a solid at a distance. Having a strong dark makes all the light and medium fabrics sparkle with the contrast. Your green is not *super* dark, but it's dark enough to make those lighter fabrics look even prettier than they do on their own. Good choice, even if's by accident or necessity.
Thanks platyhiker. I figured rhodies need leaves so went with the green. I really appreciate all the reassurances . I always enjoy seeing all the various fabrics and how others put things together.

Sandra-P, I never would have thought to use the sunflower fabric but it’s really effective. I’m learning so much about trying out different ideas.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:14 PM

Wonderful blocks, SuzSLO! Let's hope we find out something about the function of the aqua on Friday.

Sandra-P, your sunflower fabric is so dynamic. I love your colors!
Old 01-04-2022, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

SuzSLO they look fantastic!!!
Sandra- lovely block!
Wow, this mystery is so much fun!! We're going to see some amazing quilts.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:45 PM

Serendipity! I was doing my exercises tonight on the living room floor, and my eye fell on my wads of quilt backing stored under the little circular table. There was the backing fabric I had purchased for Frolic, which ended up not really going with my frolic fabrics, but it seems perfect for the Rhodo fabrics!
Old 01-05-2022, 04:13 AM

Sandra-P -- love the sunflowers! I think we have a couple of people who were going to try just one yellow and I was wondering how that was turning out for them.

Here's a picture of my "first pull" aqua-equivalents. I think the most likely is the splotchy soft blobs, but the brighter speckled one might really go zippity do dah with my polka dots. The large scale ivy leaves on the yellow background might work well if the pieces are large. I don't know if I'll be actually using any of these, but they are what I put to the side back in October.
Attached Thumbnails 100_6266.jpg  
Old 01-05-2022, 11:41 AM

Finally started doing my stitching on Clues 1-6. I don't think I will finish all the stitching by Friday morning! I got my Bernina 590 cleaned and ready to go. I always have so much trouble getting the bobbin case back in the machine. Sure wish I could figure out the trick!
Old 01-05-2022, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

Done!

sewingpup- is your bobbin case the large one? Mine is a 770QE and the bobbin case is magnetic. You could always check Bernina Jeff on Youtube. He's a wonderful resource for all things Bernina.
Attached Thumbnails img_5589.jpg