Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 01-07-2022, 08:34 AM

Thanks for sharing your story, Sandra-P. That quilt will be so meaningful for your sister!

Today's block is unusual-looking. I can't see it on point, so that's a big clue in itself if I'm right. I'm going to go back and read the intro comments on the aqua; maybe they will be more revealing in context. I think it's looking more like those geese will be used in a border.

Since I'm not sewing along this year, I'm more impatient than usual for the reveal. Congratulations to all of you who are keeping up this time!
Old 01-07-2022, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

Sandra- your story is bittersweet. I'm sorry about your brother and that your sister has Covid. This will certainly cheer her up.
I'm on day 2 of my memory box. My gosh, I think I've saved everything anyone has sent me since I was a child!!
Old 01-07-2022, 11:52 AM

Joe’s Mom: Although I agree the hourglass block looks odd on point, the number of Block A and Block B is exactly what would be needed for on point with alternating blocks. For a straight set, the number of each block would be much closer to the same. So that is the direction I am leaning (and using this assumption to make this week’s blocks for my half-sized project). But the number of flying geese and garnet squares (not to mention the aqua fabric) doesn’t seem to work with either a straight set or on point, so who knows (other than Bonnie, of course)!

On point sets always make my head hurt, but Bonnie does have an excellent resource for on point: https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2010...ing-chart.html
Old 01-07-2022, 12:21 PM

Im finding clue 7 a bit fiddly making sure all those itty bitty points match up. It is fun tho’ when it actually works. I’m taking a break from this thread until the reveal. I’ll pop back in to see what wonderful variety of quilts you all make but in the meantime I want to maintain the surprise factor. Have fun, everyone.
Old 01-07-2022, 01:01 PM

My apologies for speculating, I forgot we weren't going to do that in the thread!
Old 01-07-2022, 01:05 PM

SusieQOH, You have been such an encouragement to me with this mystery. When we moved last year I went through so many of my boxes of mementos and wish I would have organized them. Good for you being on day two of it and also for being far enough ahead on this quilt to be able to devote some time to it.
Joe'sMom, I remember you participating in past mysteries, nice to see your input! I dont know if it is on point or not, I did arrange my blocks on the display wall on point for a different perspective. I cant remember which one of the other of Bonnie's mystery quilts was on point but I think there was one.
Old 01-07-2022, 02:45 PM
Gay

Terry - I can think of two options for no. 5 blocks, but must admit I haven't tried either out yet so you would need to work out what size to cut strips and squares. I had issues with a similar block in Ringo Lake and figured out a better - for me- way of making them.
By cutting triangles from strips you will have the colors reversed. I think I would go with the second option, especially if you can cut with dies.
Attached Thumbnails part-5-alt.jpg  
Old 01-08-2022, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

Sandra- I'm so glad I could help. I'm really just doing what everyone does for me. I love these peeps!

Yesterday I finished. At night my husband and I read some things our boys wrote over the years and some produced belly laughs. Omg, kids are so funny.
My next project is to get together for all 3 boys some of their most memorable things and box them up. My Mother and I wrote to each other for so many years that if I started today I'd never be able to read them all! But I can't part with them. Same with my dear Aunts but I don't have as many as my Mom's.
I have a dear cousin battling multiple myeloma and found some hilarious letters he wrote to me while in the Navy. I'm copying them to send him at Roswell, where he is currently receiving treatment. They will surely lift his spirits, which are remarkably high. He has such a good attitude. I'm SO glad I saved them!
Old 01-08-2022, 08:42 AM

Just a reminder, in case like me, you didn’t read the cutting instructions carefully. The instructions have you cutting extra neutral squares and rectangles to use in a future clue.

By my calculations, at the end of this clue you should have:

Block As, Block Bs, a set of Clue 5 units, a bunch of hourglass units, garnet squares, neutral squares and neutral rectangles. And uncut aqua fabric.

For the record, I have no idea where Bonnie is going with this. I expect to pleasantly surprised!
Old 01-08-2022, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
Just a reminder, in case like me, you didn’t read the cutting instructions carefully. The instructions have you cutting extra neutral squares and rectangles to use in a future clue.

By my calculations, at the end of this clue you should have:

Block As, Block Bs, a set of Clue 5 units, a bunch of hourglass units, garnet squares, neutral squares and neutral rectangles. And uncut aqua fabric.

For the record, I have no idea where Bonnie is going with this. I expect to pleasantly surprised!
SuzSLO Thank you for the reality check. tee hee What I was envisioning for the next clue was positioning our giant piece of aqua in the middle of the quilt uncut and positioning everything else around it! I am seeing triangles in my sleep at this point (if I have managed to create any of them). I only have finished stitching clue 2. Oh My! Congratulations on being caught up.