Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2022 >

What are we organizing today 2022

What are we organizing today 2022

Old 02-01-2022, 03:55 PM

Kalama; do you have recipients for all those boxes?
Old 02-02-2022, 06:03 AM

KalamaQuilts: Congratulations on your downsizing progress. I’m sad for Fiona but happy she found a home with you. She’s adorable.

I’m still working on cleaning off flat surfaces including fabric bits that have somehow landed on the floor. 🤷‍♀️ It’s amazing how a few minutes here and there can make a difference.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:06 AM

So I watched a Just Get It Done Quilts video yesterday (something about 9 mistakes in organizing your craft space) and Karen talked about the myth of "the right container" because what often happens is containers either remain half empty or you start to shove overflow into random containers that have room. This morning I learned one of the troubles with this last system. I've just finished an I Spy quilt top and when tidying up, realized that some of the new acquisitions I've made (see Fabric Moratorium for my confessions) meant my I Spy box wouldn't close even though I've just used up some fabric, so I went to another room where I have a couple of fabric boxes stored (I don't have a sewing room) and discovered some more I Spy fabric I'd forgotten about and obviously "shoved into a random container." /Eyeroll. Definitely time to take this organizational thing seriously! So glad you are all here with your ideas and support.

Last edited by Gemm; 02-02-2022 at 08:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-02-2022, 09:01 AM

Gemm- I have done the same thing with batting scraps 😱. Yesterday I needed a sturdy transparent plastic bag for a quilt I’m getting ready to ship. I had just the thing, but it was filled with odds and ends which I dumped on the floor. What Came out of the bag was : 1 UFO; a bunch of trimmings from a painted quilt that I am saving for an art piece; bits and pieces that are skinny enough to be couched down onto another art piece and…a bunch of the edge fabric and batting that gets trimmed away from my quilts after I’ve quilted them. I have a specific place to put all of these things, but appparently those places were full way back when these needed to be dealt with, so they got shoved in the bag. I’ve already put the UFO in area 51 and will add it to my UFO list. I also put all the bits and pieces for the 2 art quilts I’m saving them for into the storage unit where I keep those things. I still need to separate the fabric strips from the batting, put the fabric in my scrap storage and deal with the batting… Sometimes I think it never ends , but at least finds of this nature are no longer an everyday occurrence in my studio😅

Keep up the good work everyone!
Old 02-02-2022, 09:23 AM

Rob , Every thing looks great now and it makes a difference. The flamingo said they would be happy to be put in pot of small rocks so they could stand up and look out a window.
Old 02-02-2022, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

I am sorry I have been missing from the group. My best friend died. She and I would talk for hours about quilting, friends and family on the phone. I have been a mess mentally.
She was a christian, mother, gardener and quilting teacher. ( Not me, but others who took her classes) I just thought the world of her. Now she is gone. The little gal that introduced us five years ago called to let me know.
I am still determined to finish my messy overflow of fabrics, so I am still here for a while getting encouragement and ideas.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 02-02-2022 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-02-2022, 11:57 AM

I'm sorry for your loss, Redgarnet. My condolences to you and her family.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Kalama; do you have recipients for all those boxes?
That was the THIRD pile! today's was much smaller, didn't need a hand truck. All GONE!

RedGarnet222 I'm sorry for your loss ((((hugs))))
Old 02-02-2022, 05:53 PM

Gemm, a few years ago I took a number of clear and pastel plastic under-bed storage boxes of fabric along with me to the lake for the summer. I kept them under the bed in a small bedroom with no direct sunlight due to the trees. When we moved back to the city in the fall, I noticed that the pieces on the side of the boxes that had been facing the window were faded along the folds, so it can happen quickly and without direct sun light. After that, I have always stored my fabric on shelves in closets with with tight-fitting doors. I had a friend that worked in a large fabric store and once a month they would rotate all their solid and dark fabrics end to end on their shelves because otherwise they discovered that they could fade from the neon lights.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:31 PM

RedGarnet222: Sending my condolences.

SueZQ from MN: Welcome to this thread. I am in east central MN, south of 94. I grew up in central MN with lots of lakes also,