Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2022 >

What are we organizing today 2022

What are we organizing today 2022

Old 06-16-2022, 05:04 AM

Slowly, and patiently looking at different areas in my sewing room and found a basket of envelopes from previous years, 2.5 Birthday Swaps that had not been sorted by color and put into my bins. So, that is my organizational project for today. Not big but it will get the basket out of the sewing room and the squares ready to use. I call that a Ta-Da!
Old 06-16-2022, 06:52 AM

Ta-Da indeed, WMUTeach!

Wow Quilt Mama- way to go. Keep it up!

I am at a bit of a loose end on organizing- I think I've got things pretty well organized in the quilting studio, but am still feeling overwhelmed by half done projects. I have put all my UFOs on the back burner in order to try and keep current WIPs from becoming UFOs, but I need to organize my time to deal with the 5 projects I currently have going. Suggestions on how to break out of the overwhelm would be helpful....

Rob
Old 06-16-2022, 10:07 AM

Not quilting, but working on a project in my quilting room! I'm making our living room curtains. The fabric finally came a couple of days ago and I got it pressed and cut down to beginning length. Today, I got the side seams, top, and hems all measured, creased pressed and pinned. I set up my machine with matching thread that came yesterday and wound a couple of bobbins. (I will probably only need one, but don't want to stop in the middle if I need more). Now, this afternoon, I'm set to sew them up, give them another press and then hang them. The curtain rods were put up a couple of weeks ago! These windows are huge! Each panel is 108" wide with the length, 78" with a total of 4 panels in all. So looking forward to getting them done and getting back to my quilting. It will be nice to finally get some curtains up to block out the glare of the evening sunset on the television screen! The kitties haven't been too happy with me using their blankets over the curtain rods in the evening!

Last edited by quiltsfor; 06-16-2022 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-17-2022, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Slowly, and patiently looking at different areas in my sewing room and found a basket of envelopes from previous years, 2.5 Birthday Swaps that had not been sorted by color and put into my bins. So, that is my organizational project for today. Not big but it will get the basket out of the sewing room and the squares ready to use. I call that a Ta-Da!
It was so silly for me to keep looking at that basked for months and months. It only took about 20 minutes to sort those 2.5" squares into their color groups. Empty basket and more choices for my next 2.5 project. I listened and watched two Karen Brown (Just Get It Done Quilts) while sorting. Easy, peasy!

Today, I will have to clean up my sewing room. Went searching for an obscure, seldom used tool last night and it looks like a tornado happened in my sewing room! Tee-Hee-Hee!
Old 06-18-2022, 06:16 AM

I finished binding my Snail Trail Al Fresco quilt yesterday! That means that I can devote some time to moving the other WIPs along. Hopefully, I have broken through the overwhelm block I've been struggling with. Next up is to get the borders stitched onto the Oct. Colorblock quilt and sandwich it so it can be added to the quilting queue. I've got some scraps to be organized today- they are smallish odd shapes (think the size that you could get a 2.5" or 3" square from) that would be interesting in a crumb quilt or for appliqué. I could just cut them into the largest square I can get from them, and place them in the appropriate drawer in my scrap system- but that would create even more small scraps to be used up in scrap scarves and I've already got plenty of those to keep me sewing for a while, so I'm tempted to create a new storage space in my scrap drawers for them....

Rob
Old 06-18-2022, 01:06 PM

I finished the living room curtains...finally! Today I organized some fabric that arrived for the quilt that I'll be making for fall, for our bed. Refolded the yardage put it with my pattern. I'm still waiting for the quilting ruler for two of my quilt tops that are sandwiched and ready to be quilted, plus the quilting ruler just arrived for the third quilt top that is also sandwiched and ready to be quilted. Then I spent a little time winding bobbins for one of my next quilts. I like to have a supply of at least 25 bobbins ready to go, so it is just a matter of flipping the empty for a new one. I have two quilts already lined up to make before I start on the one for our bed. It's been a busy time since settling in and getting my new quilting room set up, plus the rest of the house. I'm playing catch up with my quilting, but having a ball doing it!
Old 06-21-2022, 03:04 AM
Power Poster

I have managed to clean up/ organize all of my threads, clean off my large glass display cabinet making it easy to use my Accuquilt Go machine and my cutting table- making use much easier. Things in my ( main working area) is much cleaner, organized and nice- of course the other end of the room is not so good- but I can ignore that for a bit. I always have BIG plans but never enough time. I’m working on 2 commissions right now and still trying to get the quilting done on some ufos just waiting to be quilted and bound. I need to set a day aside ( soon) and Purge.
Old 06-21-2022, 03:22 AM

While searching for an obscure quilting tool, I discovered a large bin, one of those 30 gallon sized bins, full of batting scraps. So, based on the process suggested by Karen Brown,"Just Get It Done Quilts", I looked through the scraps and created three 40 X 40 pieced batting pieces for baby quilts and another 60 X 70 and a fifth that is about 50 X 60. These will be used for UFO/donation quilts.that are also hanging in the closet. Win/Win for this one. The rest of the batting pieces are just to small and fiddly to mess with, so off they went into a big old garbage bag for Goodwill. I have made more than my share of dog beds, and have plenty of Swifer and dusting pads. More space in my quilting closet! Yea!!

I am experiencing the joy of baby steps to organization and cleaning of my sewing room. Highly recommend this method.
Old 06-21-2022, 04:03 AM

Just filnished a top for PL. Cut charms from FQ so now have a ton of fab to sort and put back on thE shelves.I discovered scrapy quilts sure make a big mess.

I have too many containrs with a little bit of fab in each one. Maybe today I'll cut down those chunks into usable pieces.

(((OMG! SOMEONE SLAP SOME SENSE INTO ME!!!)))
Old 06-22-2022, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post
Just filnished a top for PL. Cut charms from FQ so now have a ton of fab to sort and put back on thE shelves.I discovered scrapy quilts sure make a big mess.

I have too many containrs with a little bit of fab in each one. Maybe today I'll cut down those chunks into usable pieces.

(((OMG! SOMEONE SLAP SOME SENSE INTO ME!!!)))
I want to start with the fact that we all know our quilting style. I learned not to cut scraps into standard sizes over time. I ended up wishing I had a different size than what I had cut. The only ones I precut now are those that can only be used as 2.5's because that is what I use a lot of. Even those smaller pieces I often now cut into 2.5 strips. That way I can use them in other lengths or as rectangles and not just squares. I would just dump all the small bits into one bin and then cut as you need. Only my opinion and what fits me.

But reducing the number of bins is a victory in organizing. Keep up the good work Julie. Bet you will love the end result.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 06-22-2022 at 02:31 AM.