Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2022 >

What are we organizing today 2022

What are we organizing today 2022

Old 11-18-2022, 12:42 PM

Yesterday, the one packing box still in the room got emptied. The Husky drawers got some use. And the corner where the box had set was used immediately to stand next to the design wall. Such freedom with more space to negotiate.

And some things that had been missing were found.
Old 11-19-2022, 05:06 AM

No new organizing, just working on checking off the list of "To Dos" in the sewing room and then putting away the detritus of materials and tools as I finish each item. Feels good and I was able to see the light of day enough to run the vacuum.
Old 11-20-2022, 05:56 PM

That totally sounds like organizing to me - working with a system that is already in place is still part of the organizational process. :-D
Old 11-21-2022, 01:37 PM

Busy today putting away the tools and leftovers from the table topper I just finished. I looked at the pattern as I was putting it away and discovered- there's supposed to be a border on it- I already quilted and bound it...... it's supposed to be 33" square, mine is 27" square OOPS! I think I should have gotten myself a little more organized before I sandwiched, quilted and bound it LOL.

Rob
Old 11-22-2022, 10:04 AM

Rryder, to my embarrassment I'd use that as a reason NOT to tidy/organize - sometimes I'm happier living in ignorance!

I'm sure your table topper will still be beautiful and functional - maybe it was just a happy accident. :-)
Old 11-22-2022, 04:15 PM

As for sorting & purging, I hold & ask myself “if I get rid of this, will it be that hard to get another if I need it ?”
Old 11-22-2022, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Busy today putting away the tools and leftovers from the table topper I just finished. I looked at the pattern as I was putting it away and discovered- there's supposed to be a border on it- I already quilted and bound it...... it's supposed to be 33" square, mine is 27" square OOPS! I think I should have gotten myself a little more organized before I sandwiched, quilted and bound it LOL.

Rob
A pattern is basically a set of cutting and assembly instructions with a photo showing one possible color combination. If you were only allowed to make it exactly as shown, it would be sold with a contract to copy the designers sample 100%!! If you like it as is and it fits your needs, who cares what it was "supposed" to look like. I've been sewing for over 65 years and I have NEVER made a pattern exactly as it was shown. haha
Old 11-23-2022, 02:31 PM

Thanks everyone- getting that table topper finished was a comedy of errors. First- as I finished quilting the next to last section of McTavishing my bobbin ran out. No problem. I had another already wound and went ahead and finished up. Then I turned it over and realized that the tension got wonky when my bobbin got low and there was some eye lashing on the back in the next to last section of McTavishing. I decided to go ahead and bind it anyway since it was only the one section and it's not like it's a show quilt. But then after I bound it, the obvious tension issue on the back started bugging me and I figured it would only take 1/2 hour or so to take out the wonky section and re-quilt it. I didn't even need to take the binding off to do it- easy peasy. So I reverse quilted that section of McTavishing and re-quilted it.

When I turned it over to admire the "now perfect" back of the re-quilted section I realized that the opposite corner had somehow gotten folded under and was thoroughly quilted to the newly re-quilted section. I once again reverse quilted that section- this time freeing up the opposite corner so the topper was once again square and flat, (rather than 5 sided and lumpy) and re-quilted it. So, my half an hour fix ended up taking about one and a half hours. No problem, I really wasn't planning on doing anything other than straightening up my studio anyway and I still had some time left to do so. It was at that point that I discovered I'd forgotten to add the border LOL!

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 11-23-2022 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-23-2022, 02:43 PM

Rob I think MOST of us feel your pain. Time for a special drink and give your redesign tool a rest.
Old 11-30-2022, 03:40 PM

Oh no Rob, What a comedy of errors! You’re obviously very patient, and I am sure it turned out fabulous, can’t wait to see it.

I spent the day doing a mini purge and ruler folding endless amounts of yardage. I also got my wide backing fabrics in one location. I ordered more milk crates to better arrange things under my longarm. I have scraps ready for a new home, there are items I will post in the free section. I am working on pulling fabrics for quilts I want to do in 2023.