Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2022 >

What are we organizing today 2022

What are we organizing today 2022

Old 01-07-2022, 03:50 AM

Time for another basic clean up and put back all of the little odds and ends that have been sneaking out of the UFO basket and all over my work place and floor. Solution... spend some time actually sewing those odd blocks together and create a top. The rest can just go back to the UFO basket. I need to locate the surface of my sewing table to be happy.
Old 01-07-2022, 04:39 AM

RedGarnet222; WOW! I see you rewarded yourself. That's great.
Old 01-07-2022, 12:00 PM

A small thought for the thread, but it's made a difference to me:

I had bought a couple of plastic storage boxes with folding/interlocking lids (kind of like take-out containers) and discovered that the larger one was really quite useless for actual storage as it is quite large and doesn't fit into any of my hidey-holes and I also don't like that the lid doesn't actually seal (there are little cracks where the two parts of the lid come together). However, I have discovered it's a great box for keeping the fabrics from a current project neatly together under the dining room table. It's got clear sides so I can see the different pieces, but best of all, they're not in little piles everywhere! I don't really want the box for anything else so it's not like I'm depriving myself of valuable storage so I'm calling this an organizational win!
Old 01-09-2022, 05:51 AM

Looks like we’re off to a great start this year.

I spent yesterday taking the decorations and lights off our big Christmas tree and ordering a storage box for the lightweight ornaments that go on the small pop up tree. Today I’m going to put the big tree away. The small tree will have to wait until the ornament box arrives on Tuesday. DH received a set of pantry organizers for Christmas and they are finally washed and dried so our big organizing task for today is to take everything out of the pantry, decide what goes in what container and put it all back. I’m looking forward to this as we’ve been using a mish-mash of repurposed cookie tins and such to mouse proof our staples. Because all the tins, etc are round, and varying sizes and shapes, they don’t use the space efficiently. The new storage system consists of square cannisters that stack neatly and have locking lids with silicone gaskets. I’ll try to remember to take before and after photos.

Who’s organizing what today?

Rob
Old 01-09-2022, 06:06 AM

For a short time, very short time, I thought I had EVRYTHING under control. NOT! I've been cutting UFOs down to sizes that I am usilng for backs for Project Llnus quilts. Now I have odd sizes of what used to be Someday Quilts. Jelly rolls are out of control and really like to wander around the sewing room. I finally figured out that once a jelly roll is opened, they lthink they have permission to play hide and seek. I also figured out that making scrappy quilts adds to my chaos. Confessing to my failures hopefully will help be to be more accountable. (Like that's gonna happen)
Old 01-09-2022, 06:27 AM

julienm1- those jellyrolls can be sneaky… I try to corral leftover strips by stacking them and then re-rolling/folding them and securing with a piece of string or amazing tape (only sticks to itself). Then they go into their very own drawer. It’s the only way I’ve found to keep them from roaming all over my quilting studio. As for scraps and scrap quilting- I think some chaos is part of the process (that’s my story and I’m sticking to it). Congratulations on finding a way to deal with UFOs!

Rob
Old 01-09-2022, 06:27 AM

After much contemplation I bit the bullet! When I did my major organizing a few years ago I sorted through tons of fabric and sorted by colors. Here we are nearly 3 years later and I have not even used a single fabric from any of the bins except for my Batiks. Today they went into boxes and I posted them for free on Craigslist. I am truly blessed and have no issues passing on to someone who will use the fabric. 2 large boxes, 2 medium boxes and 2 plastic containers.
Attached Thumbnails b0515d13-4bb3-4367-9e02-d6761249c699.jpeg  
Old 01-09-2022, 07:32 AM

I have not done much organizing for a long time but I did just finish organizing my Accuquilt dies and cutters. The bad thing is that the cart takes up the middle of my sewing studio. It will have to stay that way until I organize another area to work with. I do plan on organizing all my fabrics this winter. That is always a combination of work and fun. So here it to the beginning!!
Old 01-09-2022, 11:46 AM

I made a big step today, I ordered my first move-related set of boxes/storage things. We have decided that we are moving the vinyl albums, most of which came with me from Alaska back in 1983... have ordered special heavy duty just the right size boxes that should be enough for what I have.

I also bought a set of (5) plastic totes that are stackable and have lids. I hope to use for my fabric storage, eventually I hope to have shelves but stackable is always good. The ones I have my quilt tops in are larger than I'd like to handle full of fabric. I really like the size and shape of my cardboard banker boxes and that I can still easily lift them even full of fabric and with my short little alligator arms. These are 30 quart, about the same size and If I like them, I'll order more. I'm still not sure how much fabric I want to move, I know it is less than I have so this will be a good test of many things.
Old 01-09-2022, 03:13 PM

I got the big tree down, packed up and taken up to the attic. Yay!

DH and I also finished reorganizing the pantry. Here are before pics:

Attached Thumbnails img_2974.jpg   img_2975.jpg