Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2022 >

What are we organizing today 2022

What are we organizing today 2022

Old 01-26-2022, 08:03 AM

I have spent the first three weeks of January following Karen Brown's 2022 de-cluttering challenge for my sewing room and have made tons of progress. I am a pretty organized person anyway, but had way too many ideas and future projects put aside for future endeavors. It was beginning to overwhelm me with guilt, for purchasing them, or not being able to get to them so..................out they went. I am lucky enough to have a fabulous resource near me that takes all kinds of craft type items and resells them. It started out as an art supply store for teachers but anyone can donate or buy from them. They got a total of 16 bankers boxes of fabric, books, patterns, notions, & containers, etc. I also took 4 boxes of books (2 of quilting books) to the library's bookstore that also sells books to benefit the library. I donated two sewing machines to charity stores and one to a friend. This past weekend I made a new closet curtain for the closet where I still have enough projects to last me at least 10 years, and two new sewing machine covers to match. Now I am ready to enter a new, clean and uncluttered sewing space that looks nice and appealing to work in. I cut up my scraps from the above into 2 1/2" strips, ready for my scrap bin. Here is the reveal LOLresized-sewing-closet-curtain.jpgresized-sewing-machine-covers.jpg
Old 01-26-2022, 08:57 AM

Nana your room looks so nice. Congrats on organizing and donating to worthy causes. Good for all involved, right?

I just finished the fab room. Found some PIGs I can maybe work on next week.. (PIG means project in grocery bags).Sewing room will fprobably take the rest of the day. Sitting here, I think I'll start with the bookshelf that has precuts..maybe...lol
Old 01-26-2022, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Hi everyone. teen, I also went through all of the pictures free patterns hogging my computer and phone. I printed them out for reference and deleted them. I do that in january and put them into a mannilla envelope with any patterns I have.
The fabric storage boxes came, I gathered up the patterns I had in shoe boxes and organized them by what they were. So much nicer now to find a pattern.
Rob, I hope by now hubby is getting better. Prayers for you and him.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:37 AM

Thanks Red, he's doing much better, still on antibiotics (going on a month now), but the docs could see major improvement when he went in this past Monday!

EmiliasNana- that's some serious decluttering. I'm also working on the Just Get it Done declutter challenge. Got a little behind, but am dealing with batting scraps this week.

Rob

Old 01-26-2022, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

Glad to hear it rob. Hubby must be happier now too. A year ago my hubby had a bout with Bell's Palsy. It was pretty scary for us both. Stay well, both of you.
Old 01-26-2022, 03:51 PM

Talking

Well, I'm finished with fab room AND sewing room. I've never worked so hard away from my sewing machine in a long long time. Found one finished top I forgot about, another bag with enough finished blocks for another top, several baggies with blocks that need to be sewn together, and more jelly roll strips getting ready to run away from my sewing room. Don't thilnk I'll be able to sleep tonight cuz I have lots of patterns floating around in my head. So much fab I have no idea when/why I bought it. It is such a sense of accomplishment to get both rooms organized. Hopefully I can stay on top of this and try to keep it looking nice.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:13 PM

Julie: Congratulations on your finishes and your organizing. Amazing how we can get so sidetracked.

Iceblossom: Small things are important too.

EmiliasNana: Way to go! Your area is looking great!

RedGarnet222: Great idea to go through your saved patterns and print them out.

I thought I could finish putting away the ironed fabric from the milk crate in a half hour. Nope! I kept getting sidetracked. 🙂. However, I did finish my task plus I organized some things in a bedroom (painted a closet a while back and finally putting things away) and I even cleared a few more flat surfaces. I’m tired but it feels good to have made some progress in organizing/cleaning.

One thing that is evident after organizing is that I need to make some quilts that use ‘my’ precuts. I have plenty of strips and squares at 1.5”, 2”, 2.5”, 3”, 3.5”, and 4.5”. Plus some larger squares also.

Here’s a picture of my clean ironing and cutting area,

Attached Thumbnails 33bb8467-4f7f-4789-8907-6811b7576104.jpeg  

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 01-26-2022 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:49 AM

I too have been watching the declutter challenge (I even went back and watched it over again). Stayed away from watching any scrap quilt videos (I wanted to clean out the scraps). I had shelves installed in my sewing room, so that also inspired me to clean out. I am a very organized person, but too much is too much. I’ve been working on it now for the past three days and am almost there. I even managed to organize it by color, which I have never been able to do. I advertised free scraps on Facebook and immediately got huge responses. Gave away a ton of scraps, rulers, patterns etc. still have a little more to go, but everything is looking so much better.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:50 AM

I must admit this thread has also encouraged me.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:41 AM

Haven't posted to this thread for a few years, but I thought I'd update so you know it is possible...Sharyn Said So

There is a lot of back story including FlyLady, being on the fabric wagon since 2001, ruler folding, MacTel2 eye disease, but. This week I've listed my quilt room on Ebay! Believe it or not. I feel like limp like cheap fabric, but it is done.
Two weeks ago I culled something else and everything but 3 items went. 2K to me, kaching!

All I have left is to list my wonderful treadle/hand crank locally and I'm finished. All that is left now fits on 3 shelves in one closet which I look forward to sewing on. I'd far rather be the one who chooses than have it all go to the dump when I'm gone.

Good luck to Everyone, hugs, Sharyn