Fabric Moratorium 2022

Old 08-03-2022, 06:29 PM

I've just been looking back over the last several posts and realized how great this thread is. I love the fact that we all come here to listen, confess, celebrate, occasionally help to justify, and encourage. You are all such awesome folks and I'm grateful for you and your participation here. :-) Phatquilts, rryder, Rff, happylab - thanks for your stories!

I have a small celebration. After being stuck for weeks because I don't have enough of the one fabric I really wanted to use in my current project, I decided to go to the LQS to find something I would be happy to work with, even though I had already pulled a couple of good candidates from my stash. The celebration? I did NOT go. I got the opinions of a few people on one of the stash fabrics (including Iceblossom, who is still eye-deep in packing up her life and preparing for her move) and I have decided the LQS can wait. I particularly liked Iceblossom's response to my comment that "I loved this fabric when I bought it back in the '90s..." "So it's time it was used!" Now I just need to find a clear surface (the rest of the quilt is currently laid out where I usually cut) and I'll hopefully be able to get this one out of my to-do pile!
Old 08-03-2022, 07:41 PM

Gemm-Here are my pom-poms shaking for you! ****
Anyone who has ever tried to loose weight knows that the diet begins at the grocery store....so NOT going to the LQS is the quilters version. Congratulations on your willpower!
Old 08-04-2022, 06:04 AM

Way to Go, Gemm!!!

Rob
Old 08-04-2022, 09:27 AM

I have the same problem with buying what I don't need when I go on day trips with my friends. Got on track with a quilt that I started seven years ago . Have six rows left. Gemm glad you used up some of your fabric on hand.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:54 AM

Good for you gemm. I plan on looking through my fabric again and finding an older fabric to base a quilt around. Not usually how I go about assembling a quilt, but I liked the sense of finally using those pieces that have been hanging around so long. Even better would be 10 yards since that's what I purchase on my fall.
Thanks for the kind words. I am ready to tackle and resist my fabric temptations.
Old 08-04-2022, 11:41 AM

At quilt guild today the ticket drawings were progressing. I never take a ticket for any of them. Then an oops and my name got into the drawing. Yeh, I won a package of 7 pieces of 1/4 yd of 1800’s repo fabric. Definitely not my style. But I can’t figure out a starting point for any project, so why not? Nothing…..Absolutly Nothing in my stash. No even a solid off white. And what pattern? I’m thinking double Irish chain. Any suggestions out there?
Old 08-05-2022, 04:58 PM

32 strips from a jelly roll from my stash and backing from stash equals one quilt for Project Linus. Free pattern called "Quarter Stack" and it comes in multiple sizes. Finished the baby sized top in 3 hours. (41x 51) Easy Peasy. Designed for fat quarters but I used what was on hand....a jelly roll. I think using fat quarters would give more color options in the layout.
Attached Thumbnails 2022-08-05-quarter-stack-donation-quilt.jpg   2022-08-05-quarter-stack-donation-41x49.jpg  

Last edited by WMUTeach; 08-05-2022 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-06-2022, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
32 strips from a jelly roll from my stash and backing from stash equals one quilt for Project Linus. Free pattern called "Quarter Stack" and it comes in multiple sizes. Finished the baby sized top in 3 hours. (41x 51) Easy Peasy. Designed for fat quarters but I used what was on hand....a jelly roll. I think using fat quarters would give more color options in the layout.
Cute! And sometimes you just want something quick and done. Looks like a great stash buster.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:12 PM

Thanks for all of the cheering and encouragement. I did get the top done but am having issues with getting a decent picture of it. I will try again tomorrow so I can post photos of my celebration here. I also had a great piece of fabric that will work beautifully for the backing. More stash-busting! My reward is going to be to leave this one as a top for now (once I've got my binding cut and ready to go) and move on to one of my other stash-inspired ideas. :-)
Old 08-08-2022, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
Cute! And sometimes you just want something quick and done. Looks like a great stash buster.
I must say that making the "Quarter Stack" quilt felt so refreshing. I have been in serious "UFO finish mode" for about 6 weeks and I was hungry to make and create for a day. This little number did the trick and the result was one more for PL in the bin.