Fabric Moratorium 2022

Old 11-15-2022, 06:04 AM

This effort of yours would also fit in the "What are You Organizing Today" thread". We think about fabric as stash, but as you discovered we often have more than fabric in the stash category. Good for you. I found it often takes time to come to grips with what you no longer "need" in your stash whether it is fabric, tools, patterns or scraps. Three Cheers for YOU, Pat M!!.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:23 AM

That's a lot of purging and organizing, Pat M. Way to go!
Old 11-20-2022, 06:56 PM

Well since we are close to Thanksgiving, I wanted to say its been nice to be on this journey with all of you. I've done good with no additional purchasing and using what's on hand. I can't say my shelves aren't still full but not overstuffed Which is an improvement. Here's to next year when the shelves are even emptier.
Old 11-21-2022, 05:13 AM

Spam reported.
Old 11-21-2022, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

Yes the "moratorium" is drawing to a close. I finished a couple of bolts on shop anniversary sale earlier this month, but pleased to say I've used some of the fabric already as I work on using stash fabrics. In the past 6 weeks, I have at least 6 flimsies done from stash scraps and yardage. Not sure if I have noticed an increase in space. I did sort through some odds and ends suitable for our local Days for Girls group.
Old 11-22-2022, 06:03 AM

Cut out Draw String Gift bags last night for Christmas gifting. Each uses just short of 1/2 yard of fabric and I cut out 10 and have pieces for about another 8. Good bye Christmas fabric. The bin is now down to two backs and a bunch of scraps that are less than FQs.! Yeah! Had to buy ribbon for the drawstrings but three cheers for disappearing fabric.

Also cut out two pillow cases for a December birthday girl. Watching the fabric fly out of the bins is rewarding.

Sad this year is ending but will be back for 2023.
Old 11-22-2022, 06:29 AM

Good morning everyone. it cool (30F) and sunny. High temp is suppose to be neat 60 today. Yea. A great improvement from last week when we had January and February cold temps. We had les than an inch of snow during that time. I’m just glad it’s warmer this week. At least it should be nice this week. anyway….

Well this last year I fell off the wagon after the 1st quarter of the year. And never really did get back on. To much pretty fabric I didn’t need. This month I claimed an exemption or 2 or 3. I bought backing for numerous project for the next 6 months, I signed up for 3 BOM’s starting next year, filler fabric for my stash that was lacking, background and fg’s to make some fun projects. Other than that I did okay. I know I really need to stay on the wagon next year. No more buying for a while.

Well a fabulous Thanksgiving Day everyone!

Old 11-22-2022, 09:22 AM

I think there have been a lot of success stories here, right up to the last minute. Of course, as a Canadian, I've already celebrated my Thanksgiving so the moratorium continues until a new calendar goes up. :-) I've not always been "good" but I do enjoy the journey and company here and feel I have made some good progress on having a "shop my stash first" mindset.
Currently playing with ideas for a stack of fabric bits - looks like we've got a rainy stretch ahead of us so hope to have a good excuse to be at the sewing table instead of cleaning up the garden. Hope to have something to share before the end of the year. :-)
Old 11-22-2022, 12:29 PM

This year was not normal because we moved. I think the key here is “shop stash first.” With that in mind, I flew off the wagon only once. And I think that was mental therapy.
Now it’s time to set goals for next year.
1. Find and complete UFO’s
2. Decorate house with quilts.
3. Evaluate clothing and fill in gaps
4. Start landscaping
5. Start art quilt teaching
Old 11-29-2022, 01:33 PM

I’ve taken on the task of eliminating a box of polyester double knit. 1 quilt completed and another almost done. That leaves enough for a 3rd - but short about 24” of something to coordinate with brown & cranberry. These will go to charity. Goodbye to that stuff.