Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
VQW—Jan 14-17, 2022 >

VQW—Jan 14-17, 2022

VQW—Jan 14-17, 2022

Old 01-16-2022, 01:26 PM

Very cool string quit, Gemm.
Cam's gram- Looking forward to seeing how you quilt this one.
Rff1010- hope your heat comes back on soon.

I managed to get all the background fabric cut for my October color block quilt. I've been working on getting the background triangles sewn to the 16 patches (flip and sew method). Now I need to cut the sashing and cornerstones so I can put it together. I also started the quilting on another part of the doodle quilt and I got the big table cleared off in my other studio so I can take the September Color block quilt off the design wall (where I parked it after I finished quilting it) and get it squared up to be bound. Whew! I am ready for a break, though I may come back to do some more sewing later this evening. Still haven't gone through my notions for the Just Get it Done declutter challenge- but that'll have to wait til tomorrow....

Rob

Old 01-16-2022, 03:25 PM

No progress on the Alcott Civil War Quilt this VQW, but, all and all, I got my Birthday Swap squares cut and the extra fabric back in the closet all pressed and ready for other projects. And, Ta-Da I finished all the pieces for my donation quilt and laid it out, photo below, but I won't get it assembled until my Tuesday Zoom group.,

While cleaning up after the donation quilt, I found another 32, 16-patch squares in my basket of blocks. Yikes!! Plus enough 9 patches for at least one quilt and 5 or 6 25-patches. All of those will have to wait. I need to do something other than 2.5" squares for the next few weeks.

The second photo is the 16 patches I made for the Debbie Brown Challenge almost exactly a year ago. I lost steam with accomplishing her monthly projects but I need to return to see if I can find some ideas to use my remaining blocks.

Oh, yeah, and I got my Christmas Tree un-decorated and packed away. I recall some one else had that on their list.

I will pop in tomorrow to see what everyone accomplished this week-end . See, y'all next month. Thank you, Heather for a productive week-end.
Attached Thumbnails 2022-01-16-vqw-resized.jpg   16-patch-.jpg  
Old 01-17-2022, 04:54 AM

Default Monday Update

So, I have been having some major network issues the last 36 hours, I was able to post a picture on Facebook so let's hope things are okay here and I can post a picture here.

Not much has moved this weekend, my ankle and arthritis let me know that yep, we're into winter now and sitting still or standing for long periods was just out of the question. I managed to cut some foam stabilizer for an organizer, got some mat board glued together for another and made some bias binding. I did some tidying up but no extremely involved decluttering going on.

Still having network issues, just tried to upload a picture of a soccer ball I made and it told me the upload failed. I'll keep trying, but whatever is going on with my network needs to cool its jets.

Today, I'm hoping to start at least cutting all the fabric down for one of the organizers and depending on how things go, I may try to sew some of it. Ankle is still sore and tender and although I'm making progress with it, I'm still having issues extending it to press my foot pedal down.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:01 AM

Off to a good start today! I got all the triangles sewn onto the 16 patches that will be the rays of the star for my October Debby Brown quilt. Now they just need to be ironed, squared up and I'll be ready to start assembling once I've got the sashing and cornerstone pieces cut. I think I'm going to spend some more time today working on the doodle quilt and maybe getting the Sept. Debby Brown quilt trimmed and bound.

On the decluttering front, I've fallen behind on the Just get it done challenge- still need to go through notions, and scraps of all kinds. I don't have any kits, so that's one category I don't need to worry about YAY!. I know I've got lots of notions squirreled away after more than 40 years of sewing, quilting, free motion embroidery, etc. And, I am an inveterate scrap saver- I save fabric scraps, stabilizer scraps, fusible webbing scraps, batting scraps, thread scraps, lace and trims scraps.... My fabric scraps are actually under control, but the other scraps could use a good going through. So the question is, should I spend time today going through various scrap categories, or deal with notions??????

Looking forward to seeing what everyone is working on today.

Rob
Old 01-17-2022, 08:08 AM

Well I was lazy and took the weekend off from quilting and the computer . My husband was actually free this weekend so we just relaxed and watched tv. Ended up watching "Eternals" last night; really good movie for any Marvel fans who haven't seen it yet.

railroadersbrat--glad you'll at least be able to be in the sewing corner but hope you're feeling better

NZquilter--it's never too early to start Christmas ornaments and gifts!

Gemm--pretty quilt!

tallchick--how much snow did you get? I think we had about 3 inches here in Cincinnati

rff1010, toogie, beckyboo1--lone stars are so pretty. I've made a few but used Quiltsmart interfacing. I have a template (item #SCL-517-00 at quiltingstencils.com) that I've used for the quilting.

lolagrace--welcome!

WMUTeach--it all depends on how you want to make the mariners compas. A Good Life has an English paper piecing pattern. Quiltsmart has an interfacing version. I haven't made that one but have made several other patterns by Quiltsmart. I find their directions to be quite good. Brenda Henning has a book, Mariners Compass, which uses foundation paper piecing. There are patterns which use rulers, I don't know anything about them. Hope that helps.

Now off to my sewing room for a few hours
Old 01-17-2022, 08:18 AM

No snow here Heather, even though we are not far from Cincy. I finished my Harriet's Journey sampler quilt this weekend at our "sleep in your own bed" guild retreat. Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails 20220114_183559.jpg   20220114_183631.jpg  
Old 01-17-2022, 08:20 AM

No sewing for me today, we ended up with about 15 or more inches of snow, Once it stops I will be digging out and clearing a path for the outdoor stray kitties to get to food and water. I have 4 Kitty Tubes on raised pallets along the back of the house for them so I will start there, then I will work on the sidewalks and driveway. So glad I bought a snowblower! I will sleep good tonight!
Old 01-17-2022, 08:34 AM

Raggiemom thanks for the link to the stencil site. Would you believe I didn't even know it existed? Can't finish my Lone Star til I can buy background fabric so am going to work on a baby quilt today from the Charming Baby Quilts book.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:19 PM

Internet hasn't worked most of weekend. Just catching up. Been working on the stains on the carpet and reading.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:52 PM

Well, I had a productive day in the studio And DH came home from the hospital- Yay!.

Got all the sashing cut out for my October Colorblock and put it on the design wall. Still trying to decide what to do for the cornerstones- I'm pretty sure I don't want them to be the same color as the sashing. Here's a pic of it laid out on my design wall and also a sneak peek at the doodle quilt that I've been slowly working on.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails img_2980.jpg   img_2981.jpg