UFO 2023 Challenge

Old 05-02-2023, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by happylab View Post
question for individuals who sew project Linus quilts. What type of batting do you use? My guild says they will only accept 80/20 or 100% cotton batting. I bought polyester batting (thin) to do charity quilts. Where do you use polyester batting? I have about 8 children kits to sew up and need to know. Also do you use a neutral backing fabric or another child designed fabrics?
Happylab, I don't sew for project Linus, but our church sews quilts for the local shelters in the area and we use polyester and they don't complain. Children's back are what every we think will go with the front, usually something fun. Check with the local shelters,.
Old 05-02-2023, 02:13 PM

Happylab, have you checked Project Linus website for quilt requirements? At least in our area, there is no batting or backing requirements listed. They seem to take all kinds of quilts and blankets. They sponsor a big sew-in every year where high school kids make the tied fleece blankets for them. You might want to find a location to drop off your kids quilts instead of through your guild since it sounds to me that it may be a requirement of that particular guild. Drop off locations in your area can also be found on the Project Linus website. Drop offs in our area are mainly local quilt shops. Hope this doesn't deter you from making quilts for Project Linus.
Old 05-02-2023, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
Happylab, have you checked Project Linus website for quilt requirements? At least in our area, there is no batting or backing requirements listed. They seem to take all kinds of quilts and blankets. They sponsor a big sew-in every year where high school kids make the tied fleece blankets for them. You might want to find a location to drop off your kids quilts instead of through your guild since it sounds to me that it may be a requirement of that particular guild. Drop off locations in your area can also be found on the Project Linus website. Drop offs in our area are mainly local quilt shops. Hope this doesn't deter you from making quilts for Project Linus.
I donate quilts to PL and there are no requirements for batting. I use Warm and Natural batting for all of my quilts, therefore I use the scraps for my donation quilts. If you want to finish quilts and just drop off without involving your quilting guild or group, ask at JoAnn's. My local JoAnn's had a donation box tucked in near the registers and check out area.

You can always google Project Linus and ask your regional or local representative. They can give your the "final answer".
Old 05-03-2023, 05:24 PM

Outstanding, joe’smom I’m sure if we were keeping track of who completed the most UFO’s, you would win hands down. Congratulations!!!!!

Rob, keep staring at your ufo, I’m sure you will have an ah ha moment, and know exactly what is needed. Your projects are works of art.

Today I pulled out my next ufo quilting project. It’s a panel with added borders. I plan to just do and e2e design. I call it, “Labs in the forest.” Hopefully it will be ready to have the binding sewn on by the end of the week.

Weather here is almost perfect. Sunny, 70’s, and unfortunately windy. But so great. Take care everyone.
Old 05-26-2023, 12:46 PM

Good morning everyone. I have an excuse not to complete the UFOs for another month. Our guild begins the new ufo year in July. So I’m getting several of my tops done up to sewing on the binding. I have 3 tops at that point. The lock-in 2020, labs on the forest and Chiefs quillow. Then I will post my pics. I hope to get 3 more tops to that point by the end of next month.

so in the mean time I’m working on the tiresome r/w/blk blocks. I have 41 blocks completed, and just need to square and start putting the top together. I will do this this week and quilt it the 1st full week in June. By the second week in June it will be completed. I’m also going to collect steps for the following free QAL’s. Pat Sloan’s = Halloween mystery QAL in June; Pat Sloan’s Christmas in July mystery QAL; Laundry Basket quilts - Spring Mystery QAL 2023; Debbie at piecing the Past - Dresden plate QAL- already started 2 weeks ago; battingsupersale.com = Coins Le Croix starts June 2nd. I think there is one more, but I can’t think of it right now. I’m thinking of working on 2 of these and just collect the other patterns for future projects and if I like them make them later. I also need to quilt a QOV top for my guilt tomorrow and 3 baby tops for a friend next week. Then I can get back to my UFO projects.

‘Well I hope you all have fond memories to remember for Memorial Day. Take care. And Happy Sewing/quilt🥹🤣 everyone.
Old 05-26-2023, 04:11 PM

Goodness, Happylab when are you going to sleep? That is quite a list.

I haven't even looked at my UFO's..... been too busy working on unfinished projects that haven't become UFO's yet. Then I started a new top with my 2.5's. I am always pulled between UFO's and the Fabric Moratorium thread. This month the Moratorium won.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:08 AM

[QUOTE=joe'smom;8599643]I rarely have a finish to post, but today I can at least report that I have given away 11 tops and 22 prepped quilts to a friend who belongs to various groups that finish quilts for charity./QUOTE]

I LOVE to sew...once the top is finished I lose interest, I have lots of finished quilts.
So a few months ago I gave a stack of finished tops from twin to queen to a woman who quilts them up for a mission in Alaska. I have five adopted Inuit cousins, so am well aware of how difficult life is for many of those children.
I am so happy to have them gone I feel guilty
And the only thing in the to-be-quilted stack is my halloweenie quilt!
Attached Thumbnails donation.jpg  
Old 05-28-2023, 06:53 AM

Shhh...you might spook my current UFO. It's sitting on the longarm - I think it's done but I need to give it a hard look to see before removing. (Doing school work right now so must do work-work before playing)
Old 05-28-2023, 04:20 PM

Hi all, I’m finishing this one up, took a photo and realized that I left the antennae off the butterflies, so 99% done. I may add a few inches on the outside of the border for my LAQ to attach her clips. This one is going to her next week. I’m so happy with how the borders turned out, a ton of machine appliqué but so worth it. It was 2 boomerangs ago. Next boomerang set of blocks are on the sewing table for tomorrow after I plant my Memorial Day flowers. Hugs all!
Attached Thumbnails img_6009.jpeg  
Old 05-28-2023, 04:50 PM

Kalamaquilts, what a generous gift you are giving these families through the mission. Love that you are sharing your gifts with others who don't even know you. ((hugs))