Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent) >

Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent)

Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent)

Old 03-02-2010, 05:00 PM
JS

I too have had the same problems with my JoAnne's store.I do not feel you should have to pay more just to get common courtesy or some knowledge regarding the products you are buying at any store.I do not think that all of us that have remarked negatively about JoAnne's means we are cheap or are expecting too much from them.It is a matter of who they hire and I use this term loosely "train" and that's the name of that tune.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:18 PM

I really hate the quality of their fabric - but have to admit I go there when I need a ruler or want a book and they are 40% off......
Old 03-02-2010, 05:34 PM

"I just sometimes don't understand the way people think. Cashiering and sales help---its NOT skilled labor, and its not paid like it's skilled labor. In order for the stores to give you the lowest prices, they have no choice but to often hire people who have no interest/knowledge in the items they sell."

Hello Aliaslaceygreen,

I cannot believe that you actually typed that. True some may have had some problems with service in stores, but, to say that it's not a skilled labor, is quite a punch. Having had been a cashier for 12 years before retiring, I can personally say that Cashiering granted, is not a White Collar job .. but it also is not an Unskilled labor either. Skill dealing with people is a must, always letting the Customer be right, is not an easy skill. Directing where to find something, making their time a positive experience, offering up a smile when one may not be deserved. Not to mention, handling cash, credit other means of payment. Also, starting as a cashier, in many cases , is a stepping stone to other areas within the business. So please give the people who cashier or are sales floor help the benefit of the doubt, as they could be the next business owner, manager, accountant.. working their way up. That's all I have to say.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:40 PM

sadly enough a lot of our young people feel entitled. But they're are still respectful good ones with good morals and work ethics
Old 03-02-2010, 05:43 PM

I was visting in Georgia the other day & went to Joann & almost ran into the same problem but it was taken care of before I left the store ... I wish we had Joanns in Mo where I live. They did have some real good buys..
Old 03-02-2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by shaverg
I only use JoAnns for notions and with a coupon. I have had some problems with their fabic here in California. Dye problems, they have shorted me almost 3 or four inches, 3 times when they measured and cut, and they always cut they don't give you any over what you ask for, so no room for error. The last quilt, I could not hand quilt, it actually was something to do with the fabric. I was using, same batting, thread, changed needles I can't tell you how many times I changed my needle, thinking that had to be the problem.
Many times when I go to JoAnn's my fabric has been cut short. But be careful of the "cheap fabrics". I could not find a certain gold fabric and found one "cheap" at JoAnn's. When I was done hand quilting the entire quilt, I found when I removed the pencil marks, the fabric color had rubbed off. I had white marks everywhere on my quilt. I had to have the quilt fabric "painted" to cover the white. Even though it is just a wall hanging, I feel awful about it. Every time I look at it I feel it is "damaged".
Old 03-02-2010, 06:08 PM

I agree with you....The tied dyed hair and rude attitude of the workers makes me cringe..I even put an application into Joanne's several years ago at the local mall, when I wanted to work at a job where I could enjoy all the fabrics.... But the "young chick" that took my application just gave me a look... I have been sewing for years "but since I didn't have Sales Experience, they would let me know..." Never heard a peep out of them... I bet the application went into the trash can... it was like I bothered them by even asking for the application...Heaven forbid I would ask them about sewing....
Old 03-02-2010, 06:11 PM

They usually don't have what I want when I go in. This last week I drove 35 miles there to buy some White & Natural batting, and again.....sorry, we are out!!! ARGHH
Old 03-02-2010, 06:30 PM

I am a hand quilter and I always load six or seven needles when I quilt. I learned that language years ago from other hand quilters. I went to my LQS to get some thread for hand quilting and they didn't have ANY. She said they only machine quilt. I know that machine quilting is more popular and I love all the things machine quilters do. But a quilt shop that didn't have hand quilting thread.???This is only the third time I was in this shop and they are very clicky and act like anyone in their shop is an intrusion.A few years back, I went in to purchase a new machine and was told to come back some other time, they were busy. I don't think so. They lost a big sale that time. I guess I needed to vent also.It's not just the big box stores. Our Joanns has some super people, they are young but very helpful and polite.
Originally Posted by mrspete
Oh Lordy, you should see the menagerie that tend our JoAnn's. I love the comfort of a middle aged lady with experience in both sewing and the material. We have a staff of punk rockers! I cannot be convinced they have ever 'loaded a needle'. That's what one called it. I was shopping for thread and he/she said, "when I load my needles".........la la la la. I'm horrible aren't I? Guess I'd better get back to my sewing, I have some needles that need loading. chuckle
Old 03-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mar32428
I guess I'm lucky. We have a very active ASG chapter in my area and also four JoAnns, north, south, east and in the next suburb. They have been very cooperative and we have neighborhood groups that meet in each store. The employees are very often from the LQS's that have closed and most already know us. When we have our annual and semi-annual ASG events, the stores often donate merchandise for our door prizes.

Granted, the fabric is not always the best but please consider those people like me who love to sew and are on very limited budgets. Most of our LQS are very expensive. I don't expect my quilts to last forever (tho a couple have), so I buy what I can afford, have the joy of working with the lovely materials and colors and just enjoy.
amen to that!