Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Jane Stickle 's Journey >

Jane Stickle 's Journey

Jane Stickle 's Journey

Old 04-21-2010, 03:12 PM

Wow, this is a fantastic quilting project, and your work looks great. I hope it inspires me to work on my "Sylvia's Bridal" quilt.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:25 PM

awesome
Old 04-21-2010, 04:32 PM

Absolutely stunning! Beautiful work and the colors are wonderful. Congratulations and thanks for sharing!
Old 04-21-2010, 04:43 PM

Riley, the quilt is absolutely smashingly beautiful. I am one of many currently working on my own DJ and have a few questions, if thats OK. I am considering hand quilting it, but am somewhat of a beginner, having only hand stitched one other quilt. Here are my questions. Did you trim your 1/4 inch seams after the block was done, and also, what kind of batting works well for this type of project, say if I hand quilted it, what kind of batting? Did you stitch in the ditch as a rule, or what was your overall intent regarding stitching in the ditch? Any other hints on how to see the original quilting on Jane? I do have the book and the software.
Thanks for sharing. Wish me luck!
Old 04-21-2010, 04:43 PM

Riley, the quilt is absolutely smashingly beautiful. I am one of many currently working on my own DJ and have a few questions, if thats OK. I am considering hand quilting it, but am somewhat of a beginner, having only hand stitched one other quilt. Here are my questions. Did you trim your 1/4 inch seams after the block was done, and also, what kind of batting works well for this type of project, say if I hand quilted it, what kind of batting? Did you stitch in the ditch as a rule, or what was your overall intent regarding stitching in the ditch? Any other hints on how to see the original quilting on Jane? I do have the book and the software.
Thanks for sharing. Wish me luck!
Old 04-21-2010, 05:04 PM

Beautiful..the amount of work in that quilt would scare me off but you did an awesome job. Love it.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:15 PM

Standing ovation for this accomplishment!!!!!! Just incredible!! The prettiest one I've seen so far!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 04-21-2010, 05:37 PM

Riley, you must be an angel, I am about 1/2 way through on the DJ cyber quilt and have been pondering putting plain triangles around the edge, now I can see what it would look like, the answer is wonderful. Good luck finishing it!!
Old 04-21-2010, 05:53 PM

Thank you all so much for your continued compliments. It is like having your own personal cheering squad to give you a pat on the back & encourage you to 'keep on keeping on'.

Mary. I don't mind your questions at all.
I do NOT trim my quarter inch seams. I most often hand piece so I have a softer seam than a machine makes, tho I have quilted over machine seams just fine.

Most people do not like poly batting (but you ask what I use) & that is what I use. I prefer Hobbs brand, low loft, of course.
I do stitch in the ditch(SID), following the design of the pattern. But I like heavy quilting so I often add a lot of quilting to that SID. (IE) a 9 patch will have SID, plus I will add a cross hatch across the blocks.

You did not ask abt needle size so I will just toss that in! :) I use a size 8 to 9 on this. The longer needle is to lesson the wear on my joints as there is a LOT of stitching on this. I am not bothered much by what brand, I like Richard Hemming, Colonial, Clover...what ever is handy.

I would not have any suggestions on seeing the original quilting of THE Jane Stickle unless you go to Vermont & look at the original in person?

The best suggestion I can give you is patience. This will not be done over night..........but it is doable!

Gramquilter2, I am looking for an online site to purchase new brain cells. I am also hand piecing a Sylvia when I take a break from my quilting here on Jane Stickle. :)

Thanks again ~Everyone~ for your kindness! Riley
Old 04-21-2010, 06:06 PM

Oh my, what a beautiful quilt. Congratulations!