Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-04-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by melinda1962
Hope somebody can tell me something good. I found this 319w at a garage sale this morning. It was marked $2, but the bobbin case is missing, and no accessories, so I only paid $1. It is pretty neat though.
Melinda, NICE find!
You will need a 206x13 needle and it uses fashion disks. The 319W machines had a short production time, 1955-1957 and were made at the old Wheeler and Wilson facility. Cool looking machine to use in a treadle. Sorry can't help you on which bobbin case is used.
Remember that the 206 x 13 needles are to be phased out, so buy enough to keep your machine going!
I think my 306k required the 206 x 13 needle and my repair guy retimed it to use the 15 x 1 schmetz needles, it's worth getting done just in the cost of needles. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:37 PM

It is two-tone green. I have found a sewing parts online that has both of those numbers as possibilities for the bobbin case. I may just have to take it to the singer store and see if he has both and test drive them if he will let me. Also, I did just use paper to see if it made the stitches, and it did them all. It was fun to read about too. Thank you, everyone for all the comments and help. I can't wait to get it cleaned up and together to see it sew. I downloaded the manual from ismacs and it is 111 pages long, mostly dealing with the various stitches it will make. I am so excited!!!
Originally Posted by luv2learn
Melinda,

Congratulations!! What a great buy! Is it green? I seem to love any of the machines with unusual colors. Very cute.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
I think my 306k required the 206 x 13 needle and my repair guy retimed it to use the 15 x 1 schmetz needles, it's worth getting done just in the cost of needles. Just my 2 cents worth.
This is a myth you do not have to retime the machine all you have to do is either buy the bobbin case that will allow the use of the 15x1 needle or trim the one you have. No retiming is needed, I have done this to several machines already and no issues at all.

Billy
Old 03-04-2011, 02:53 PM

Miz Johnny, I looked at the bobbin, it doesn't say anything on it.
Thankyou so much for the help on which needles to look for!!
Old 03-04-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Stummel
Oh, what a fun thread! I just inherited this old Singer form my husband's aunt, but haven't actually tried it out yet.

I used to have vintage Singers and an Elna, but sold them when I moved, and up until now only had a modern Janome.
Hi Stummel,
Congrats on your beautiful machine! I read some of your past messages. Your pinwheel "repo" quilt that you made has the same fabrics, Moda prints, that I used in a baby quilt for my niece. I used the Moda fabrics and followed their tutorial for a baby quilt with prairie points. That quilt was made before finding the world of vintage machines with a Janome machine. And then I found my vintage ladies and cowboy. Here is a picture of another baby quilt that I made for my other niece, same pattern just different fabrics. I made it on the Singer 66-1 shown in the photo. Sewing and quilting with vintage machines is so much fun and relaxing!

I say that even though we are looking for the machines, somehow it is the machines that find us. Seems you let some nice machines go to new homes, but in the process a very beautiful machine has found you. Thanks for sharing! Have fun sewing with your new treasure!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-131429.jpe  
Old 03-04-2011, 03:03 PM

Do you know which part number bobbin case will work with the 15x1 needles? And do you sell those parts?
Originally Posted by Lostn51
This is a myth you do not have to retime the machine all you have to do is either buy the bobbin case that will allow the use of the 15x1 needle or trim the one you have. No retiming is needed, I have done this to several machines already and no issues at all.

Billy
Old 03-04-2011, 03:04 PM

Remember that the 206 x 13 needles are to be phased out, so buy enough to keep your machine going!
I think my 306k required the 206 x 13 needle and my repair guy retimed it to use the 15 x 1 schmetz needles, it's worth getting done just in the cost of needles. Just my 2 cents worth.[/quote]

Because I have one of the lousiest memories on record, I cannot tell you why, but--I have been told that it will eventually damage the machine if you do this. I will try to find out from folks with better memories why we shouldn't.

This is what I found, from Bill Holman on the Vintage Singer site:

We have covered this needle/retiming bit many times before, but I
guess we have lots of new people.

DO NOT try to retime your 206/306/319 to take the 15X1 needle. If it
was possible to do this correctly, it would have been absurd for
Singer to design them this way in the first place. The only
difference between the two needles is that the 15X1 has a longer
point. The shank to eye length is the same, and that is why they will
sew with the wrong needle while the point of the needle nicks up the
bobbin and BC. If you raise the needle bar so that the point won't
hit, the eye is then too high for the hook to intercept it. Then you
must advance the hook to compensate for it, and your hook is now out
of time with your take up lever and feed mechanism. The common result
is the threads laying loose on their own sides of the fabric, instead
of on the opposite side as when tension is off. Then you must run the
tensions way too heavy to try to make up for it, but the results are
seldom acceptable to anyone who expects these good old machines to
perform up to their capabilities.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:16 PM

I really need to know if either the 105032 bobbin case uses a specific needle or the 173058 one, if anybody can help me. If you find a quote or chart you could share it so I could be sure of what to order, would be great. Thanks, Melinda
Originally Posted by melinda1962
Do you know which part number bobbin case will work with the 15x1 needles? And do you sell those parts?

Billy
Old 03-04-2011, 03:24 PM

Billy
This is very helpful information. Thanx Billy!
Old 03-04-2011, 03:35 PM

Miz Johnny,

Thank you for this WONDERFUL INFO!