Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-21-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
New Project: White Rotary from around 1927. Crinkle finish with a knee control. Needs a spool pin and motor. Could anyone tell me where I might find either and what type of motor I need??
Thank you for any suggestions as I have been searching and feel like I am at a loss.... I am not even sure how to identify the Model Number. Maybe this one will have to go "As Is" to someone else. :oops:
Kitzone, that is a White Rotary Electric Crinkle with the Embossed Black finish. I have one like it from 1931 pictured on page 392. I am almost sure it would take a friction pulley type motor. You will probably have to do a search on e-bay until a motor comes up.

You can date the machine here under Serial Number/Dating List.
http://community.webshots.com/user/arachnesobsession

Nancy
Old 03-21-2011, 04:23 PM

http://centralmich.craigslist.org/art/2278017923.html
I've never posgted a link like this so I hope it works. Has anyone seen a machine like this before. Says it takes 2 needlesw and it has 2 bobbins. Interested to see what yall think.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Miz Johnny, you already have 2 or 3 Jones machines? Geeze, I want to be your relative! Are the other Jones machines as pretty as the one we are watching?

Nancy
No--I have the ugliest green one you've ever seen!
I have never seen a ugly "Jones." All the ones I have seen are very ornate! Is your green Jones an original?

Nancy[/quote]

No--it is a very bad repaint. Billy didn't do it.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

That's one style. I also have one with wooden rather than metal legs. I found the base with metal legs too small to sit at comfortably.
So Miz Johnny, the treadle you found with the wooden legs - is it a pre 1900 treadle? I have never seen a treadle with wooden legs - straight or any other way!

Nancy
No, it's actually a "modern" one, probably 30's or 40's. The cabinet is very plain. The best thing about this one is it's larger-than-usual flywheel.

I also have a Free with wooden legs, and two smaller treadles--a Franklin and a National--with wooden legs.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I have a 27 with out a cabinet. My cousin has an old New Home treadle without a machine. I do not know the measurments of the opening. Does anyone know if my 27 would fit in the cabinet? Kathie
Kathie if your cousin has a treadle with no machine and you need a treadle for your 27, why not try? You will probably have to modify the cabinet to fit -- I doubt that the Singer will fit in the New Home cabinet without some modification, but I have never tried that?

Miz Johnny would probably know!

Nancy
Bed size of a full-sized Singer is 7 X 14 3/4 in; New Home is 6 7/8 X 13 1/2 in. Cabinet would need modification.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:37 PM

Thanks Nancy for the information. I am not very knowledgeable about motors as the majority of the SM's I have are treadles. What are the difference between friction motor and other types?
Old 03-21-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
I just looked on gypsyheart43 page and looked at the topics created. I had to think a minute to get it going. Definitely pink!! More fushia or hot pink, but cute.
http://bham.craigslist.org/for/2271075856.html
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by gypsyatheart43
The red Brother is actually pink! It's under the topic I posted, "Have you ever seen a red Brother".
I can't find that topic in the list. Can you post the url for it,
please?
Thanks,
Sharon W.
Someone posted a link to a red one a few days ago--older than this one. Can't remember where though!!
Old 03-21-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by buslady
I've never posgted a link like this so I hope it works. Has anyone seen a machine like this before. Says it takes 2 needlesw and it has 2 bobbins. Interested to see what yall think.
Very interesting, but way overpriced I'm thinking.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by buslady
I have not seen a machine like that. Of course, the 'W' serial numbers were lost records but started about 1911! Interesting machine!

Nancy
Old 03-21-2011, 05:05 PM

Next project: Pfaff 230 with gosh awful green painted cabinet w/chair. This one may take a while as I have just got to get rid of that green paint. Then it will be for sale.

Mighty dirty and suspect motor problems
[ATTACH=CONFIG]173074[/ATTACH]

What a mess!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]173075[/ATTACH]

Kinda neat. Sits on ledge in cabinet.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]173076[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-173068.jpe   attachment-173069.jpe   attachment-173070.jpe