Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-21-2011, 05:27 PM

[quote=tomilu]From Dumpster to Diva - well almost! After 6 hours of cleaning, this Singer 15-88 in a #22 cabinet looks sooo much better. There 2 small holes through the veneer on the inside lid and the outside of the lid has bad plant rash.[/quote
A real beauty. So glad you saved it!
Jan on 446
Old 03-21-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Originally Posted by tomilu
From Dumpster to Diva - well almost! After 6 hours of cleaning, this Singer 15-88 in a #22 cabinet looks sooo much better. There 2 small holes through the veneer on the inside lid and the outside of the lid has bad plant rash.
Tommilu, I am very confused. I love your machine. You say it is a Singer 15. I saw one in the thrift store today and it looked liked yours except that the reverse plate said reverse. I noticed that your did not. the bos #is ah853654. I looked it up and the site says says it is a 66. I have a 66 and it looks nothing like this machine. I believe that store machine had a motor on it. Kathie
Serial # is AD497690. It has a unique stitch length in that the stitches per inch is displayed in a little window. I looked it up and found the exact machine, a 15-88. It seems the stitch length display is unique. This one is a potted motor.
You might look on the ISMACS site to help you with your 66.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-173091.jpe  
Old 03-21-2011, 05:32 PM
Kas

From Dumpster to Diva - well almost! After 6 hours of cleaning, this Singer 15-88 in a #22 cabinet looks sooo much better. There 2 small holes through the veneer on the inside lid and the outside of the lid has bad plant rash.
Oh! I love that scroll work! I gotta get me one of those. Shhhh. Don't let my hubby hear!
Old 03-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by irishrose
I didn't realize Gardendale is in AL. (The pink Brother). My son is working in Huntsville. I guess I'd better go look at a map.
Well, I don't remember which direction Gardendale is from B'ham, but it used to be about an hour and 45 to get to Homewood from Huntsville. I haven't made that trip in 20 years, so it might be less, now.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ann63
Do anyone know what model of Singer this is?
Can you give us the serial #?
Old 03-21-2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Sharon, I don't remember hearing a clunking sound when I use my treadle. In fact, it sits behind the sofa and I was treadling away a few nights ago while my husband and girl friend watched TV. They didn't seem to notice anything either other than the sewing machine stitching away.

Nancy
Well, my--aren't we liberal!! (Sorry, couldn't stop myself.)
Old 03-21-2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Tommilu, I am very confused. I love your machine. You say it is a Singer 15. I saw one in the thrift store today and it looked liked yours except that the reverse plate said reverse. I noticed that your did not. the bos #is ah853654. I looked it up and the site says says it is a 66. I have a 66 and it looks nothing like this machine. I believe that store machine had a motor on it. Kathie
Serial # is AD497690. It has a unique stitch length in that the stitches per inch is displayed in a little window. I looked it up and found the exact machine, a 15-88. It seems the stitch length display is unique. This one is a potted motor.
You might look on the ISMACS site to help you with your 66.
Usually the 15-88 is a treadle, the potted motor type is a 15-91. Methinks someone swapped out some parts between the 2 machines.
Sharon W.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:47 PM

Next project: Pfaff 230 with gosh awful green painted cabinet w/chair. This one may take a while as I have just got to get rid of that green paint. Then it will be for sale.
I really think Pfaff had the BEST cabinets!! I found a great sewing desk at a YS 10 or 15 years ago and have used it for my modern machine for years. A couple of years ago, I found a Pfaff 360 in incredible condition. It took me another year or two to figure out the machine fits in this cabinet.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Nancy,
I'd like it a whole lot better if it didn't have that clunky sound. :roll: Its okay otherwise. I've had a few different machines in this cabinet, the 201,15-90 and 237; it was my only treadle cabinet for 2 years(it was free). :-D
Sharon :-D
Sharon, I don't remember hearing a clunking sound when I use my treadle. In fact, it sits behind the sofa and I was treadling away a few nights ago while my husband and girl friend watched TV. They didn't seem to notice anything either other than the sewing machine stitching away.

Nancy
Nancy. . . . . . your husband and his girlfriend were watching tv while you were treadling?. . . . ha! ha!. . . . . just couldn't resist!!!

Seriously, though I am amazed at how often you and Miz Johnny say I have a. . . . (fill in the blank) machine. . . . do you guys keep count of just HOW MANY machines you have as you add to your collections?. . . What a treat it would be to see them all and watch them work!!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:01 PM

Nancy, thanks again for the insight to motors. I looked at the webshot website and found out that my machine was manufactured in 1930. Will go and search for the motor, a manual, spool pin and some bobbins.

Do you know if White Rotary's take a special size needle?

Judy