Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-14-2011, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by chergram
my singer feather weigh 221 is in shop hoping to get it by next friday found at a pawn shop made in 1955 hope to get by next friday waiting to do some quilt piecing on it folks on this board say it is great for that had been wanting one for some time has any one hear done any piecing on a featherweight would like to hear from you thanks billy for the site about old machine today people think new is better not always so sometimes old is better made better

I pieced my 'Underground Railroad' quilt top on my Featherweight.
I have also made doll clothes with it.
Great tight stitch and smooth running machine.
You shall enjoy your Featherweight for all sewing projects.

Blessings,
Sandi
Old 04-14-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by jtapp9
She's kind of grimy and rough in person but I think she is gonna GoJo up pretty spiffy! Motor runs and needle moves. I'm excited to get home and put a piece of fabric under there :)

$40
Congratulations Julie, the Redeye is very pretty!

Nancy
Old 04-14-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
I inherited a Singer 15-91 the other day and I am a little baffled. Attached to the pressure relieving thumb screw is a "Revco" release button. Has anyone else seen one of these and do they know the purpose?
I don't know if anyone answered this, but I have not seen a 15 with the Revco button. Very interesting, what does it do - release the pressure on the foot?

Nancy
Old 04-14-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Well, here is my newest machine - a Morse, 15 clone made in Japan. I got it at a yard sale on Saturday for $20. The case is in pretty good shape too.

Billy what do you think? It sure is a pretty machine! Is this one of the better made 15 clones from Japan?

Nancy
I think that was made by Brother, I have worked on a couple of those and one was a Brother and had the exact bed decals as yours. Brother badged machines for others so it is very possible and yes that is a VERY nice Japanese 15!!

Billy
Thank you Billy, I love everything about it, especially that pretty blue color. This machine is made much nicer than my 15 in the fact that there was extra attention put in the oil places -- they are the push in things, not holes. It also has an actual dial to lower the feed dogs instead of just a thumb screw under the throat plate. Really a well made machine! I still love my 15-88 because that machine is a treadle, but this one will be great to use too -- I might put it in a treadle!

Nancy
Old 04-14-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Kitzone
I inherited a Singer 15-91 the other day and I am a little baffled. Attached to the pressure relieving thumb screw is a "Revco" release button. Has anyone else seen one of these and do they know the purpose?
Yep I have a bag full of them right now!! Revco was the aftermarket kings in the sewing industry. They had items like your "Quick Release" presserfoot tensioner to the "Reverse Switch" on the machines that did not have the back tack feature.

I happen to love them because after I use a machine I just hit it take the tension off of the presserfoot and Store the machine. It keeps the spring from loosing any preload or strength while its sitting around doing nothing. In fact I always take the pressure off of the presserfoot no matter what.

Billy
So when your not sewing on a machine you leave the presser foot up? I was taught in home ec that you leave the foot down especially when you are traveling w/a portable machine. It makes sense to leave it up though.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by chergram
my singer feather weigh 221 is in shop hoping to get it by next friday found at a pawn shop made in 1955 hope to get by next friday waiting to do some quilt piecing on it folks on this board say it is great for that had been wanting one for some time has any one hear done any piecing on a featherweight would like to hear from you thanks billy for the site about old machine today people think new is better not always so sometimes old is better made better
I do a lot of piecing on mine. I take it for classes and Quilt Till You Wilt on Friday nights...some people go to the bar on Fridays, I go to the quilt shop.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:24 AM

I've got a question for y'all, if you'd share.

I have tried to look for vintage machines by doing periodic searches, but it always seems to take so much time and then I get no results. How do you do it. I've been putting sewing machine in, figuring that would catch folks who don't know what they have, which is what I'm looking for. I'd like a workhorse old Singer to FMQ to keep my battered FW company, but can't afford to spend tons of money.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
IN return here are some of my FW attachments for your viewing pleasure :lol:

Blind stitch attachment
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184117[/ATTACH]

BS side view
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184118[/ATTACH]

BS top view
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184119[/ATTACH]

Blackside feed dog cover
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184120[/ATTACH]

my darling penguin walking foot
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184121[/ATTACH]

another view of the penguin
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184122[/ATTACH]

zig-zagger
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184123[/ATTACH]

ZZ side view
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184124[/ATTACH]

ZZ top view
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184127[/ATTACH]

Underbraider
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184128[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-184111.jpe   attachment-184112.jpe   attachment-184113.jpe   attachment-184114.jpe   attachment-184115.jpe  

attachment-184116.jpe   attachment-184117.jpe   attachment-184118.jpe   attachment-184121.jpe   attachment-184122.jpe  

Old 04-14-2011, 08:34 AM

Greenini; Love those attachments. You are so lucky. I use Craigslist and type "sewing" into the search box. You get machines, estate/yard sales, etc but you get machines and I find more machines using sewing vs. sewing machine. I hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:41 AM

That's a start chris-quilts, the attachments are a sign of my deep love for thrift stores, yard sales, junque shops, etc. I just bought whatever I saw, can you believe I have 2 blind stitchers both with books? Only 1 has the full box, the other has only the bottom. I really came up lucky with the penguin, not only the box, but the book carefully stowed in the box nestled around the penguin.I don't even want to talk about the green and pink space buttonholers and the older ones as well...who could leave them abandoned :?: :?:
Old 04-14-2011, 09:10 AM

Hey Billy I need your wisdom. Last night I bought a really pretty Minnesota treadle machine. I don't know anything about them but I have wanted one for over 20 years. Here are picutres of her. If you need more pictures let me know. Thanks so much :D

What do you recommed I use for cleaning her? The black needs polishing and gunk removed but the decals are delicate and some what thin so I want to be careful. Thanks anyone and Billy too :thumbup:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-184134.jpe   attachment-184135.jpe