Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-31-2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Went to the flea market today and this is another machine that followed DH home. It's another Davis VF. last patent date is 1886. It had another number under the bobbin plate but forgot what it was. This is our 2nd Davis and she is in real nice condition. Unloaded it from the truck and put the head back in the cabinet and she started sewing. Belt a little loose other than that can't see any problems. Maybe a little cleaning needed and a drink of oil. She was loaded with jewelery. Man said he had needles and other stuff but didn't know they went with the machine. Here is a few pictures of Betty Boops (what DH named her)
Betty Boops is really nice and the decals are not bad. glenn
Old 05-31-2011, 06:24 PM

I need to buy a new belt for Miss Carol. The treadlon site is talking about the coil spring belts. Any feed back on that one? Kathie
Old 05-31-2011, 06:34 PM

I got such a pleasant surprise while camping this past weekend. My two older daughters called and wanted to come over...to the campground and bring my birthday gift. Lots of comments interjected into the conversation like...did I tell you how awesome this gift is??....or can't wait for you to see this awesome gift we got for you! LOL!! Driving me crazy so I said come on over...NOW!!! LOL! Well, they did come over with this big gift wrapped box in the back of the pickup. More to follow....

This was in the box
[ATTACH=CONFIG]204944[/ATTACH]

little closer view
[ATTACH=CONFIG]204945[/ATTACH]

A 1950 model 66
[ATTACH=CONFIG]204947[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-204938.jpe   attachment-204939.jpe   attachment-204940.jpe   attachment-204941.jpe  
Old 05-31-2011, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I need to buy a new belt for Miss Carol. The treadlon site is talking about the coil spring belts. Any feed back on that one? Kathie
I couldn't figure out the link - who ever had that sent a pm with no link attached.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:51 PM

how do you "clean" the machine? I might be getting these
http://charleston.craigslist.org/atq/2409364827.html
and I wanted to make them shiny again :)
Old 05-31-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
I wasn't paying any attention the first time someone posted a link to the attachment website.

I have a ruffler attachment for my 66, but no idea how it works. I never figured I'd use it since you normally don't encourage quilts to be ruffled....I came across a tank top pattern I really want to try to make, and it needs ruffles!

I bookmarked it and saved it to my hard drive....now I'm trying to figure out if I can understand how it's written. I don't think I have the 1, 6, 12 thing, I think it's the other one. Now to get it out and play with it!
The 1, 6, 12 is the number of stitches before the ruffler activates the next time...on 1 it will pleat on 'every' stitch, on 6 it will be every 6th stitch and on 12 it will be every 12th stitch.

The spacing between these pleats is adjusted by stitch length and the depth of the pleats is adjusted on the attachment by the ruffle depth adjustment screw.

I've attached a .pdf that I saved sometime ago, saves re-writing the whole thing...LOL If you still have questions don't be afraid to yell because these rufflers are a bit tricky until you get used to them.

I used to sew for an interior decorating store some years ago, the lady was into frills in a big way and had them on everything...she only handed over the sewing job to me because she got fed up with gathering by drawing up the thread (by hand). What she didn't know was that I had a ruffler and could do it in quick time.

One tip...set your overlocker (serger) to do a rolled hem, do this edge first, then do the ruffling/attaching later, which can be done in one pass. It's much easier this way and the rolled hem gives a very professional look.

Have fun practising!
Bronwyn

:thumbup:

Ruffler Attachment instructions
[ATTACH=CONFIG]204953[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-204947.pdf (2.59 MB, 3710 views)
Old 05-31-2011, 07:29 PM

I wasn't paying any attention the first time someone posted a link to the attachment website.

I have a ruffler attachment for my 66, but no idea how it works. I never figured I'd use it since you normally don't encourage quilts to be ruffled....I came across a tank top pattern I really want to try to make, and it needs ruffles!

I bookmarked it and saved it to my hard drive....now I'm trying to figure out if I can understand how it's written. I don't think I have the 1, 6, 12 thing, I think it's the other one. Now to get it out and play with it!
Is this the link you were looking for?

http://www.thesewbox.com/free_sewing...tructions.html

Have you learned how to use your 'my pages' in your profile? It is much easier to re locate information you have saved. Let me know if you would like help with it.
:D
Old 05-31-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme

Is this the link you were looking for?

http://www.thesewbox.com/free_sewing...tructions.html

Have you learned how to use your 'my pages' in your profile? It is much easier to re locate information you have saved. Let me know if you would like help with it.
:D
I would like help with My Pages. If you would care to help a "stranger".
Old 05-31-2011, 07:50 PM

OK, here goes Stranger... :lol:

USER'S PAGES & how to use them to save info to readily access it.

Oh great, I have been calling them ‘my pages’ but really it’s called USER’S PAGES (list). So, in order for you to see how I have done mine, open up my profile and then go down and click on LIST next to USER’S PAGES on my profile. Each topic listed is a separate page. Each time you want to add to your page, you click EDIT PAGE at the top of that page after clicking on the page.

I usually type in a short blurb to remind me what is in the web address I am going to save, then make a colon, hit the space bar twice and then right click on the mouse and click edit/paste of whatever I am saving.

When you go back to look up information, you only need to click on the title of a topic and then you can click on the URL of the page you want to open. For instance on my USER’S PAGES if you click on Vintage Sewing Machines page and then click on the URL in blue for Attachments & how to use them, it will open up that page on the Internet.

That might be clear as mud. Then, when I want to look up my info or look up info someone has saved on their USER’S PAGES, it is readily available. Please let me know if you need me to explain better than I have done.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
I got such a pleasant surprise while camping this past weekend. My two older daughters called and wanted to come over...to the campground and bring my birthday gift. Lots of comments interjected into the conversation like...did I tell you how awesome this gift is??....or can't wait for you to see this awesome gift we got for you! LOL!! Driving me crazy so I said come on over...NOW!!! LOL! Well, they did come over with this big gift wrapped box in the back of the pickup. More to follow....
What wonderful daughters. Beautiful machine. Kathie