Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat >

Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat

Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat

Old 06-16-2010, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Originally Posted by mom-6
I have varied tastes in reading but lately have been into scifi/fantasy. Tend to find authors that I like and read everything they've written. Favorites include Lori Wick, Louis L'Amour, Anne McCaffrey, Mercedes Lackey, Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, Nora Roberts, Andre Norton, Marian Zimmer Bradley and quite a few other scifi/fantasy authors. I'm doing a lot more e-books, especially the ones in the Baen free library.
Ooh, another Marion Zimmer Bradley fan! I so love the Darkover series! Also love McCaffrey's Dragon books and the Crystal . Singer trilogy. Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, too.

Thanks for mentioning the Baen free library. I'll be checking that out!
Marion Zimmer Bradley is great. If you like fantasy, also give Robin D. Owens a shot...
Old 06-16-2010, 05:10 AM

OK, it may be immature but I love the Charlaine Harris series with Sookie Stackhouse. Just got her latest book- Dead in the Family. Have also ordered the HBO series of these books from Amazon (both seasons). Im hooked!! lol
Old 06-16-2010, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Karyn
OK, it may be immature but I love the Charlaine Harris series with Sookie Stackhouse. Just got her latest book- Dead in the Family. Have also ordered the HBO series of these books from Amazon (both seasons). Im hooked!! lol
I tried her once. And maybe its an acquired taste, but it didn't work for me...of course I did jump in in the middle, maybe I do need to start at the beginning with her??

Have you read the DarkHunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon? I love those...
Old 06-16-2010, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
Originally Posted by Karyn
I tried her once. And maybe its an acquired taste, but it didn't work for me...of course I did jump in in the middle, maybe I do need to start at the beginning with her??

Have you read the DarkHunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon? I love those...
Will have to check that out- and Yes by all means start at the first of the series.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:25 AM

I just finished "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett and it was wonderful. It's written in the first person of a maid in the south in the late 50's, early 60's.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltlin
I just finished "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett and it was wonderful. It's written in the first person of a maid in the south in the late 50's, early 60's.
I am sure they will end up making this one into a movie..would love it if they did...
Wonder if she will do another book..that was her first
Old 06-16-2010, 05:41 AM

Would love it if they would make a movie. And wouldn't it be great if Hattie McDaniels (Mammy from Gone With the Wind) were still alive to play the lead?
Old 06-16-2010, 05:46 AM

Why oh why did I start reading these messages about books?! My 2 greatest addictions are books and fabrics. Now, as a result of all these suggestions I have added to my list of "must read" books.
Two of my favorite books/series that I didn't see mentioned were THREE CUPS OF TEA and the MISS JULIA SERIES. The first is non fiction about building schools in Afghanistan. The Miss Julia series is hilarious, but it's best to start with the first one.
I am an avid library user, ordering books via the internet!
Old 06-16-2010, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kimcatlou
The Miss Julia series is hilarious, but it's best to start with the first one.
But what is the series about, and who is the author?
Old 06-16-2010, 05:57 AM

I love to read also, but my husband is the big reader. So when I'm needing a book to read I just pick up one of his action series or war stories. We have a wonderful library at church that has many books that I enjoy. Also we trade books with several folks at church. We have five bags of books in the garage to go through right now...but I have to finish a quilt for an upcoming wedding first!