Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Odd Handquilter Out????? >

Odd Handquilter Out?????

Odd Handquilter Out?????

Old 06-16-2010, 03:29 PM

Since I cannot seem to get my fingers to quilt, I have to use the old "push in and pull out" method, which is more sewing than quilting, but it looks good anyway. Are there more weirdos like me out there? It does take a lot longer, but it does get done. I have only been quilting 5 years and have made 5 queens, 1 king, and 3 good size lap quilts, plus a few other things.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:45 PM

Wow...you certainly have accomplishe a lot in only 5 years...I could only hope to complete that much in 5 lifetimes...I'm sooo slow at the handquilting! I've tried the stabbing method but it is much more difficult for me.
Busy Hands...Happy Heart
Patricia
Old 06-16-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
I am the epitomy of reverse quilting. I like my stuff the be as accurate as possible (it's my quirk and I live with it). I'm not happy unless I have about 10 stitches per inch and even. I was taught to handquilt by master handquilters. I married a Mennonite (those women can quilt). My Mother-in-law thought I needed to know 3 important things, how to bake zweibachs, peppernuts and hand quilt. I'm pretty much a bust on the first two because stoves are not my friend, but I learned to hand quilt. I'm probably her biggest source of amusement because I am so slow. She can still whip those quilts out at 89 and her stitches are awesome. I'll never be that good. Until then, I'll stitch, restitch, stitch...
Many years ago, I attend a quilt show in NYC that featured Amish quilters...they had a large frame set up and chatted amongst themselves and the visiting quilters as they worked...their needles literally flew across that top. I asked if they ever "unquilted"(I had such issues back then, too!)...the consensus was "No, we make each stitch the best it can be and don't redo..."
Busy Hands...Happy Heart
Patricia
Old 06-16-2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Hinterland
Originally Posted by cbuchanan
Yep...do it all the time. What I can't figure out is how do some of the master quilters get 12 stitches per inch? I've practiced for 10 years and I'm still at 6-8 stitches per inch and I really, really try to turn my needle better but......

Any good tutorial suggestions?
I like Roxanne McElroy's "That Perfect Stitch." It helped me improve my stitch.
I have purchased a few vintage quilts that are 14 CONSISTENT SPI...never stops amazing me!!
Busy Hands...Happy Heart
Patricia
Old 06-16-2010, 04:05 PM

Well, I am not a hand quilter, but I would imagine that anyone who will make the time to do that kind of handwork won't have trouble investing a little time in unpicking.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:46 PM

PatriceJ, you met a group of very GOOD quilters. Don't let anyone fool you. I know some great quilters (Amish, Mennonite, Holderman, Quaker, etc. and they all started somewhere and unstitched their fair share. The group you met at that time were probably at the skill level that didn't need to undo work anymore.) We used to meet at the church to make quilts to auction off for the world relief charity sales. Some of the older women (and newer quilters) would come, chat and stitch. Everyone enjoyed the experience and no one would say anything. After those particular people left for the day, the experienced quilters would check their work, smile, and start undoing stitches. We would undo a lot of quilting and restitch. No one ever said a word to about it to the original stitcher either. It was the thought and love that counted more than the poor stitching.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:25 PM

Yup! I do it more than I wish I had to. If I don't get it right the second time around, then it stays wrong!
Old 06-16-2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
PatriceJ, you met a group of very GOOD quilters. Don't let anyone fool you. I know some great quilters (Amish, Mennonite, Holderman, Quaker, etc. and they all started somewhere and unstitched their fair share. The group you met at that time were probably at the skill level that didn't need to undo work anymore.) We used to meet at the church to make quilts to auction off for the world relief charity sales. Some of the older women (and newer quilters) would come, chat and stitch. Everyone enjoyed the experience and no one would say anything. After those particular people left for the day, the experienced quilters would check their work, smile, and start undoing stitches. We would undo a lot of quilting and restitch. No one ever said a word to about it to the original stitcher either. It was the thought and love that counted more than the poor stitching.
Thank you so much for share this...I can at least dream about becoming part of "other" group!!!!
Patricia
Old 06-16-2010, 06:28 PM

No, I never pick out.
I like mine to look primitive or homespun.
After all they are stitches of love.

JBJ137 in SC.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:02 PM

Thats me too. Just wouldn't please me if I left it.